Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are over the calf socks within regs for PT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are over the calf socks within regs for PT?

Crappy U.S. Army issue green socks that are brown? Not in my detachment! Time for another trip to the PX!
    You'll learn soon enough, grasshopper.

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bang View Post
      Viceroy, as you'll find out after washing your socks so many times, they tend to turn that brown color. You're authorized to wear green or black socks, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your picture.

"My detachment" .. you mean RSP
      Originally posted by MPThink:

You'll learn soon enough, grasshopper.
      At the risk of getting teased by any number of old-timer 'American soldiers that are experts and professionals that always maintain their arms, their equipment, and themselves' I'll throw away a pair of socks before I let them get washed to the point of turning into putrid colors. That's just been a pet peeve of mine. You'll be able to spot me during reception--I'll be the guy at the PX fawning over socks in the athletic section and overanalyzing boxers in the men's section.

Comment

Hah. Good luck with that. The DS's will spot you at reception if you're fawning over anything. They're not going to give you a lot of time in the PX. Think about it, EVERYONE has to buy supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
          Hah. Good luck with that. The DS's will spot you at reception if you're fawning over anything. They're not going to give you a lot of time in the PX. Think about it, EVERYONE has to buy supplies.
          How hard can it be to get a couple of those super packs of green tube socks? I got this.

Comment

I use the fox river over the calf compression socks. They work very well. I just fold em down a bit, noone sees it. I took em' to Selection and noone said a thing.

Comment

If I recall correctly, regs specify the pt socks should be over-the-calf style

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaCook View Post
                If I recall correctly, regs specify the pt socks should be over-the-calf style
                It doesn't specifically state that they have to be but it is kind of implied as it does say in chapter 14-3 a) "Commanders may authorize the wear of commercial running shoes, calf-length or ankle-length, plain white socks with no logos." So really it is open to interpretation by SNCO's and ultimately the Commander.

Comment

My issue now is no longer with only socks...

I have TONS of my guys coming back from different trainings(After Basic and AIT of course) with those d@mn vibram 5 finger sneakers. They all ask if they can wear them for the PT test. I won't lie, I have 2 pairs myself because it helps your back when running and they feel Great. However, theres multiple issues with these during the PT test: 1)no socks. 2) not a proper running shoe by army standards.
                  But if you can get a pair to train with on your own, I highly advise it. I wear em to the gym and running, and I love them to death

Comment

My understanding is that it's up to the Post Commander.

During my time at FT Jackson, the first LTG made us wear longer socks, while the incoming LTG stopped requiring it.

Comment

What are you stuck in the 80's? Trying to look like Rocky LOL? Throw on a sweatband to go around your forehead while you're at it too.

Comment

AR 670-1 chapter 143. Accessories
                        para a. Commanders may authorize the wear of commercial running shoes, calf-length or ankle-length, plain white socks
                        with no logos, gloves, reflective belts or vests, long underwear, and other items appropriate to the weather conditions
                        and type of activity. If soldiers wear long underwear or other similar items, they must conceal them from view with the
                        hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants when wearing the PFU, or the running jacket and pants if wearing the IPFU.

This was a great debate for us at WLC. Though the Regulation is silent on them, our Commandant ruled to "out-law" them from wear during the course. Technically you are authorized and I personally recommend them to be worn during APFT as well as a minimalist racing flat (you WILL take at least 30 sec. off your 2 mile run) . That being said, the issue is what is the "calf-length"? American Sportd Journal of Medicine which the Army Master Fitness School uses for there curriculum states that the calf runs from the top of the back of the ankle all the way to the back of the knee(very top of the ball of your calf) So Yes, technically Compression socks can be worn. Commanders can add too- but not take away from the regs. Utilize your chain of command, use the regs to support your stand and let them decide. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X