Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are over the calf socks within regs for PT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are over the calf socks within regs for PT?

It is my understanding that the regulations regarding socks in the PT uniform are that they must be "commercial calf-length or ankle-length, plain white socks with no logos."

Are socks that cover the calf (ie: end a few inches below the knee) within regulation? Is this something that is up to the commander's and/or SNCOs' discretion? Thank you.

Re: Are over the calf socks within regs for PT?

Originally posted by BryanIL View Post
    It is my understanding that the regulations regarding socks in the PT uniform are that they must be "commercial calf-length or ankle-length, plain white socks with no logos."

Are socks that cover the calf (ie: end a few inches below the knee) within regulation? Is this something that is up to the commander's and/or SNCOs' discretion? Thank you.
    If you would please tell me... Why would you want to wear those again? lol. Why not just get the regular socks that are described fully in the regs and save the worries?

Comment

Maybe he doesnt want to shave his legs.

For the best information, call First Line leader or Readiness NCO. I would just wear socks that cover your ankles, tho the Active duty folks here like to yell at me for it. "Those aren't regulation, they are too short!". Yeah, bull shishky.

Comment

You mean everybody doesnt wear those? Next you will tell me not everybody wears the green issued socks too!!! Maybe I need to Google a picture of someone modeling the APFT uniform (cough cough) LOL. Above the ankle and to the mid calf is fine, anything higher and you will stand out and draw fire.

Comment

Fold them down. You might get away with this if they aren't too high to begin with. I did a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
            If you would please tell me... Why would you want to wear those again? lol. Why not just get the regular socks that are described fully in the regs and save the worries?
            I have large calves and haven't found a sock that sits mid-calf and is comfortable. I often wear over the calf 'compression' socks when I run and do PT on my own and find them immensely more comfortable than any other sock I've worn. I'm going to my last RSP drill before basic this coming month and want to do my best on the PT test while obviously still adhering to regulation. I appreciate the response, Sir.

I agree the over the calf socks may make me stand out and might not be the best idea. I'll fold them down and if my cadre allows it, wear them over my calf for my PT run. Thank you for the responses.

Comment

If you pull them over the calf I can pretty much guarantee you'll be spoken to while there. Sorry to say, we don't really care about your comfort while running when it comes to socks.

Comment

I'd just wear the regulation socks. If different socks really make that much of a difference in your run, that's a pretty big deal and you need to address that...by wearing regulation socks. You definitely won't be able to wear compression socks at BCT, so keep that in mind.

Comment

You don't need midcalf socks, you can wear socks as long as they come above the ankle. Get ankle socks for now and those are ok with a normal unit and are within regulation. However just so you know, at basic training you will get socks, and they will be mid-calf socks. Comfortability isn't a worry of the drill SGTs, and you will have the same socks as everyone else. If may be uncomfortable at first, but you will get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                    You mean everybody doesnt wear those? Next you will tell me not everybody wears the green issued socks too!!! Maybe I need to Google a picture of someone modeling the APFT uniform (cough cough) LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                      ??? Those are issued socks that they are wearing.

Comment

Maybe he's trying to point out that the soldier on the right is wearing brown socks? That just happens from washing the crappy green socks, Viceroy. Haha. Or the black socks under the green ones? That's pretty standard for ruck marches.

Back to the original post, as it was suggested, you should just get used to what's within regulation now because you won't be able to break away from it during BCT.

Comment

I don't care who you are...

If you have something that can keep you fit and going like the energizer bunny and it doesnt SHOW outside your uniform, then wear it. I don't want my soldiers getting blisters on their feet because the army says they have to wear green socks.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                            Maybe he's trying to point out that the soldier on the right is wearing brown socks? That just happens from washing the crappy green socks, Viceroy. Haha.
                            Crappy U.S. Army issue green socks that are brown? Not in my detachment! Time for another trip to the PX!

Originally posted by MPThink:

....you should just get used to what's within regulation now because you won't be able to break away from it during BCT.

"How about no socks at all, then?"

Comment

Viceroy, as you'll find out after washing your socks so many times, they tend to turn that brown color. You're authorized to wear green or black socks, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with your picture.

"My detachment" .. you mean RSP

Comment

Working...
                              X