X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning ACU's

Is there any way to get ink off? I was kind of an idiot and forgot to take my pen out of the pen pocket when I washed my ACU's a few weeks ago.Now I have an ink stain on my trousers near where I blouse my boots.

It's not too big but it annoys me...and if I can't find out a way to get it off I'm just gonna end up buying a new pair even though I'd really rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
      Is there any way to get ink off? I was kind of an idiot and forgot to take my pen out of the pen pocket when I washed my ACU's a few weeks ago.Now I have an ink stain on my trousers near where I blouse my boots.

It's not too big but it annoys me...and if I can't find out a way to get it off I'm just gonna end up buying a new pair even though I'd really rather not.
      I've never tried it on ACU material, but for dress shirt and the like hairspray has traditionally gotten ink out. Hair spray tends to work better if the fabric in question is made of polyester or a polyester blend.

Ink stains are tricky, but they sometimes respond to alcohol; unfortunately there is considerably less alcohol in hairspray than years ago. The hairspray should not have conditioners or oils, as this may stain one’s clothing with oil. Instead, choose simple hairspray with a high alcohol content. If one is choosing an aerosol spray to remove ink, use Aquanet or its generic equivalent. (The cheaper the better for more alcohol content)

Spray a bit of hairspray on the stain and gently scrub to remove ink. Clothing treated with hair spray should be rinsed thoroughly whether the ink came out or not.

Oxyclean or Gain also claim to get out ink.

Good Luck

Comment

As with all fabrics, once you have dried the article of clothing in a dryer using any amount of heat, the stain will be set. If you air dry there is still a chance to remove the stain (ink, grass, whatever). You can try stain treatments (follow the directions, and make sure you work the treatment into the stain manually (do not just spray it and do nothing else)) in conjunction with a long soak with a good detergent followed by a heavy duty wash.

of course a good review of what may be in any pocket on the ACUs before washing them (which can normally become a good habit if you make a point to turn the uniform inside out to wash (securing the zipper on the shirt as well). Also, the more detergent you use, the more residue that will build up on a uniform - so you may have to put the garment through another cycle without soap (machines in laundromats normally have a lot of soap still in them as well).

It is recommended (by me) that you wash all of your military clothing in a sport detergent like Penguin Sport wash, pre-treat any stains first (pre-soak if necessary) and either air dry, or dry on a low heat setting.

Comment

Working...
        X