X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vest

SO, my unit is really slow at issuing gear and I have yet to get my TA-50 but until I do I'm using my friend's extra FLIK vest at least. I had a quick question on the pouches to front-load on the MOLLE attachment on the vest. I know it's personal preference (or at least it should be) but what is the general layout of different pouches on the vest? I know there are two canteen covers/canteens on the sides but that's about the only thing I know goes on there for a fact. What are the best pouches to use?

Re: Vest

The location of bleeder/medic packs is probably directed by your unit's SOP (for example, everyone in my unit has it on their...left I think it is). I put my rifle mag pouches on the lower right so I can keep my left hand near the trigger during changes and my m-9 mag pouches on the lower left so I can do the same with my right hand ready to fire my pistol. Grenade pouches are on top on the...left I think. Just try different things and see what's most comfortable for you, you're going to have to work with any positioning to get used to mag changes, etc.

Comment

It is not personal preference, it will be according to your units SOP as MPThink has stated. Reason being it is easy to find things like 1stAid kit and ammo in low light conditions if everyone has the same configuration. Ask your leaders for the setup.

Comment

There will be a unit SOP to an extent. Mostly for the medical pouch but eveything else I postion for what works best for me. I run with my gear from time to time as well so this is taken into account where I need my pouches for A) best and quickest accessability of mag pounches when reloading, B) the least amount of restriction when running, jumping, climbing and crawling, in that order of presidence, C) comfortability. My vest is very similar to the unit setup but much more effective and efficient for me.

Comment

When will you get most of your mp uniform and equipment??

Comment

Our unit SOP only applies to the IFAK, and it has to be placed where you could reach it with either arm. We do a lot of dismounted patrols, so a lot of guys put it on their "strong side" and use is as a bit of a rest as they hump through the beautiful Afghan landscapes! As far as the other gear, a lot of it depends on your position/job within the squad/platoon, as gunners in turrets (double stacks of M4 mags will hang up on the lip of the turret, as will your camelback, for example) will have a different set up than SAW gunners, M203 guys, docs, etc, etc.

Once you get all your Molle issued, set it up as your unit will prescribe (sometimes they will dictate the entire set up, some, like my unit, only partially) get some magazines and load them into your pouches, and get in the prone position. This will generally change a lot of minds when 1) you try to get prone on the range, or 2) try to get prone and reload under fire. As SFC Kempf said, get with your leadership for assistance.

Oh, if you are "fortunate" enough to be issued the "TAP" system, just leave it in the bag. It's a total pain and constantly needs adjusting and tightening. Just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by howard kempf View Post
              It is not personal preference, it will be according to your units SOP as MPThink has stated. Reason being it is easy to find things like 1stAid kit and ammo in low light conditions if everyone has the same configuration. Ask your leaders for the setup.
              I have never been a fan of the dress right dress on combat gear. You need to set your gear up in a way that makes you the most effective in combat. My vest as an 11C would be significantly different then a Medic, or an MP. I guess it is fine if it is garrison or field time, but in real world ops I am ignoring this SOP...and rightfully so.

Comment

Working...
              X