X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Authorized" for sunglasses?

Wanting to pull the trigger on some Gascans, but all that's available right now in Polarized is Black Iridium. Is this a no-go in uniform?

Re: What is "Authorized" for sunglasses?

For regular MDAY soldiering? Sometimes you'll appear out of place if you aren't sporting Oakleys.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Gascan's are a model of Oakleys. The 8-ball says not likely, but then again everything is at the discretion of the commander.

Reference: AR670-1

(3) Restrictions on eyeglasses and sunglasses. Eyeglasses or sunglasses that are trendy, or have lenses or frames
      with initials, designs, or other adornments are not authorized for wear. Soldiers may not wear lenses with extreme or
      trendy colors, which include but are not limited to, red, yellow, blue, purple, bright green, or orange. Lens colors must
      be traditional gray, brown, or dark green shades. Personnel will not wear lenses or frames that are so large or so small
      that they detract from the appearance of the uniform. Personnel will not attach chains, bands, or ribbons to eyeglasses.
      Eyeglass restraints are authorized only when required for safety purposes. Personnel will not hang eyeglasses or
      eyeglass cases on the uniform, and may not let glasses hang from eyeglass restraints down the front of the uniform.
      Last edited by Mike2K; June 3rd, 2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2K View Post
        I'm pretty sure Gascan's are a model of Oakleys.
        I knew that. I was just saying the brand in general.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          For regular MDAY soldiering? Sometimes you'll appear out of place if you aren't sporting Oakleys.
          You'll also look pretty high speed if you're sporting eye-pro at all!

Comment

So in answer to your question, "technically" the Gascans will not be authorized, but that is not to say you wont see people wearing them. If you want to buy them, then buy them. It's only one weekend a month you wouldnt wear them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                Nice!!

Personally, I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can, so I can keep track of the visions in my eyes.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the Standard Issue black on black Oakleys are generally accepted (meaning the "O" is black on the black frame so it doesn't stand out)

Comment

I prefer Stunna Shades.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-O View Post
                      Wanting to pull the trigger on some Gascans, but all that's available right now in Polarized is Black Iridium. Is this a no-go in uniform?
                      Maybe you could cover the "O" with black tape? and as long as the lenses are dark colors you should be good

Comment

Most (if not all) of the Oakley's sold on the US Standard Issue site feature the gunmetal colored "O" as to be in compliance with AR 670-1. However, for uniform wear, I would not recommend getting the ones with the "US Flag O" or the like as you will more than likely receive gruff from your 1SG. At the very least, you will be forced to take them off...

Comment

Go to www.usstandardissue.com, register with your CAC, and you're golden. And you'll pay way less for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            I prefer Stunna Shades.

thats it, im ISTing to your unit right now. hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Daric Wade View Post
                              Go to www.usstandardissue.com, register with your CAC, and you're golden. And you'll pay way less for them.
                              Quoted for truth. This is the only place I buy eyewear. Prescription glasses/sunglasses/eyepro. Good deals. Good link.

Comment

Working...
                              X