Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an 11B lose the blue cord after contracting with ROTC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an 11B lose the blue cord after contracting with ROTC?

I'm just curious. Because the Soldier would change to a Cadet status, so wouldn't his MOS also change to 09S? Meaning 11B is no longer their primary MOS, and can no longer wear the blue cord?

Re: Would an 11B lose the blue cord after contracting with ROTC?

Your duty MOS will have all the bearing on that. While a cadet or candidate you are not assigned to an Infantry unit, even though you hold an 11 series MOS, you will not wear the blue cord or disks. However, if upon commissioning you are an 11A and assignd to an Infantry unit, you will again put the blue cord on. If you are only attached to the other units that gives you cadet status things may be different - if you are SMP that may alter this outcome.

In short, Infantrymen not assigned to an Infantry unit will not wear the blue cord (or disks); of course depending on the unit and slot, there might be a few adjustemnts to this. AR 670-1 spells out who does and does not wear the blue cord and disks.

Comment

LRSU_Dog explained it well. I can only add that technically, 09R (ROTC Cadet), 09S (OCS Candidate), and 09W (WOCS Candidate) are not MOSs, but duty status or reporting codes.

Comment

Ok now I see LRSU_Dog's post. That was weird. But yes I was reffering to a NG Soldier, 11B/C, who then contracts with ROTC to do SMP. I'm assuming they would NOT be allowed to wear the blue cord after contracting?
        Last edited by ABurris92; July 3rd, 2011, 11:58 PM.

Comment

A search uncovered LRSU_Dog's similar response on the same issue. So it is possible to do a search on this forums to find your answer.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ight=blue+cord

Comment

A search uncovered the answer from LRSU on another thread. Here is the link.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ight=blue+cord

Comment

I am no expert on SMP - so talk to both your ARNG unit and your ROTC unit to see what they direct. You may be able to wear it with your ARNG unit and not with your ROTC unit - you may be able to wear it to both - you may take it off altogether until your ROTC program is complete and you are commissioned (if 11A).

Since I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, you will need to seek out an expert on this issue who has better knowledge and experience onthis subject.

Comment

Ok thanks for the further info. I was really just curious. I'm striving to become an Active Duty 11A through ROTC, so hopefully the thought of that blue cord will motivate me some more.
                Last edited by ABurris92; July 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM.

Comment

A minor correction to LRSU's post. You will not don the blue cord upon commissioning. It is not until you have completed the final FTX at IBOLC that you will do so. You'll do another blue cord ceremony.

Comment

Working...
                  X