X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pistols

I picked up my CCW a few weeks ago and I'm excited to start carrying. Unfortunately I live on campus, so it won't be an option until I graduate in a few weeks. The pistol I've selected for my first CCW weapon is the North American Arms .22 magnum fold up. It's small enough to fit into your pocket, has the reliability of a revolver, and there's virtually no chance of negligent discharge while it's folded up. Obviously it lacks the stopping power of a meatier cartridge, but I think its portability will ultimately make up for that.

Comment

So you think if the time comes you will have time to unfold your pistol? I know that's a popular model. How does it shoot? Do you shoot it a lot? .22mag is an excellent cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        So you think if the time comes you will have time to unfold your pistol? I know that's a popular model. How does it shoot? Do you shoot it a lot? .22mag is an excellent cartridge.
        That's a valid question sir, and any answer I could give you would be circumstantial at best. It certainly comes down to training, and whether one would have the presence of mind is anyone's guess.

The way I see it, the time I lose in unfolding the revolver is offset by the fact that I wouldn't have to chamber a round, unlike most semi-auto pistols. A holstered single action revolver would always be the fastest draw, so the NAA .22 certainly sacrifices speed for portability compared to full sized wheel-guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
          That's a valid question sir, and any answer I could give you would be circumstantial at best. It certainly comes down to training, and whether one would have the presence of mind is anyone's guess.

The way I see it, the time I lose in unfolding the revolver is offset by the fact that I wouldn't have to chamber a round, unlike most semi-auto pistols. A holstered single action revolver would always be the fastest draw, so the NAA .22 certainly sacrifices speed for portability compared to full sized wheel-guns.
          I'll have to check that .22 out. Pretty interesting.

I carry my 1911 with a round chambered, the hammer back, and the safety on. They're really designed to be carried that way, and it makes for not having to do anything on draw other than disengage the slide safety.

There's not many other handguns I'd carry chambered, though.

Comment

Some of the DAO guns all you have to do is draw and pull the tiger. I carry a DAO 380, usually chambered depending on the situation. I really like pocket carry.

Comment

Some of the DAO guns all you have to do is draw and pull the tiger. I carry a DAO 380, usually chambered depending on the situation. I really like pocket carry.
              I personally dislike DAO. I prefer a consistent trigger pull from first to last round.

Comment

It's consistent, consistently long.

Though, one of the many benefits of living in VA is that you have open carry.
                One more reason for you to IST to VA.
                Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

It's consistent, consistently long.

Though, one of the many benefits of living in VA is that you have open carry.
                  One more reason for you to IST to VA.
                  I went through the Combat Pistol Qualification Course this weekend. Never held or touched an M9 before this weekend. Shot a 28/30 (expert) on my first try.

Comment

M9s are designed that way. Simple to aim and shoot....

I love my M9. While a rather large framed weapon, it is my primary Carry/Conceal weapon. That or my Taurus G2 .45.

Just something about having a weapon with some weight behind it, make me prefer to carry versus a little .380 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                      M9s are designed that way. Simple to aim and shoot....

I love my M9. While a rather large framed weapon, it is my primary Carry/Conceal weapon. That or my Taurus G2 .45.

Just something about having a weapon with some weight behind it, make me prefer to carry versus a little .380 or something.
                      Well, you could argue that a Glock is far simpler than an M9.

M9: safety + DAO

Glock: single "consistent" trigger pull

I still prefer my Glock 19 over the M9. The Glock is much faster on follow up shots.
                      Last edited by Polo08816; May 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I can see that, I just don't like the look or the plastic feel of the glocks.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                          I can see that, I just don't like the look or the plastic feel of the glocks.
                          I have a friend who isn't a fan of Glocks either, but he bought a Springfield Xd that he loves.

Comment

That IS pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

My brother has a Glock 19 with an integrated trigger safety. TERRIBLE IDEA, but it was for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                                That IS pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing.
                                LOL, I sense some irony.

Good luck concealing your full-size M9 in the summer time!

I've been looking at the ruger lcr .22. The ol' .357 pow pow is too expensive to practice with.

Comment

Working...
                                X