X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLW cell phones/computers/privledges

I just talked to a guy that got out of BCT at Leonard Wood and he was telling me to bring my laptop and cell phone.. He said I'd definitely be able to use my cell phone starting at the end of red phase. And maybe even my computer. Can anyone advise me as to what privileges I'll have and when? As far as passes go, phone usage, whether it be cell phone or pay phone? He was also telling me that people would sneak in chew and sell it.. lol. Is anyone fresh out, or out within the last year that can tell me anything what its like. I ship in May..

Re: FLW cell phones/computers/privledges

Whatever the policy, just be sure to collect your receipts and record the serial and model numbers to those items you take. Chances are some joker there will try to swipe it and claim it as theirs.

Just a word of advice........

Comment

Originally posted by alyons View Post
      He said I'd definitely be able to use my cell phone starting at the end of red phase...what privileges I'll have and when?
      It depends on which company and/or even platoon. Each company commander can make a policy. Each company first sergeant can make a policy. Each platoon DS can make a policy. And each of these people can break/bend a policy.

Comment

yarggggh, this esplodes my bwain!

Comment

I'm not taking anything electronic. Not even my cellphone. Word is you'll have to buy a padlock (combination locks not allowed), and provide the DS with a spare key. I feel extremely uncomfortable about that garbage. I can do without my laptop and cell for a few months. If anyone wants to steal my socks or boxers feel free.

Comment

Best advice I've heard when it comes to bringing any personal items to BCT is 'Don't.'

2nd best advice I've heard when it comes to bringing personal items of value to BCT is don't bring anything you wouldn't have a qualm about setting on fire, meaning if you ave a nice cell phone / laptop youre considering bringing, use a disposable phone / old laptop instead. If you're bringing pictures of family, make sure you have copies at home, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
              Best advice I've heard when it comes to bringing any personal items to BCT is 'Don't.'
              Absolutely right.

Even if they say it's allowed 'Don't' anyway. You have only three choices:

A. It will get locked up and you may only see it once for an hour or two while you're at BCT or not at all until graduation.

B. It may get damaged when they check your gear for contraband.

C. Somebody may swipe your key or the spare key and steal your junk anyway.

I'm not even going to bring any clothing I'm particularly fond of i.e. fraternity para, designer label anything and my $130 pair of running shoes will stay in my closet at home. As one of your NCO's will probably tell you while you're going through RSP is they will advance you enough pay to buy everything you need when you go to the PX. Even then there may be some items on the packing list you won't truly need.

Reason why is I've had family in all branches (retired) that have told me all kinds of true stories. Speaking generally, if you've been going through RSP hopefully you've been lucky enough to have an NCO tell you the truth about personal items and what really not to do once you get to BCT. All branches of the armed forces have their strengths but they are all susceptible to the weaknesses of society like any other organization.
              Last edited by VICEROY06; February 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                I'm not even going to bring any clothing I'm particularly fond of i.e. fraternity para,
                Definitely wouldn't want your fraternity clothes to get snatched. Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bang View Post
                  Definitely wouldn't want your fraternity clothes to get snatched. Heh.
                  You would be surprised what a thief would set his sights on especially in a dense, diverse population. Guys have been known to steal certain greek para so they can perpetrate around on campus or certain greek functions soliciting money and or services, committing crimes under an organization's name, etc. They get caught all the time and broadcasted in greek circles. It's like the guy that's serving time right now for impersonating an Army colonel.
                  Last edited by VICEROY06; February 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Take the phone, leave the laptop. I believe we got to use our phones once a week for 10-20 min during red phase and it's better to do that than waiting in line for 10 minutes for the payphones. You can get your laptop shipped to you when you get to AIT.
                    If you bring your phone, you'll turn it in to your DS, who will lock it up safely with everybody else's phone and they'll hand em back out when you need em.
                    FYI, when you phase to blue, some companies will let you keep your cell in your locker for use during personal time.

Comment

Guys have been known to steal certain greek para so they can perpetrate around on campus or certain greek functions...They get caught all the time and broadcasted in greek circles.
                      It's like the guy that's serving time right now for impersonating an Army colonel.
                      Yeah...its EXACTLY like that.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                        Yeah...its EXACTLY like that.
                        lol, What a comparison VICEROY, but it's not nearly like that lol! Being broadcasted in Greek circles and going to prison? lol

Comment

My Greek paraphernalia is so old; they can keep it!! It is a good thing that the network our brotherhood has; I can always get lost or new stuff quick.

But yes, to compare the two is funny.

Anyone read the latest that the Stolen Valor act was deemed unconstitutional? The main premise for the argument is that lying is not considered a crime. The stolen greek act?

From a blog.

The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals got it wrong on the Stolen Valor Act.
                          The 2005 law was a response to the seemingly countless people who fraudulently represent themselves as decorated combat veterans. A 2008 Chicago Tribune investigation found, for example, that tombstones, obituaries and even the online edition of Who’s Who were rife with unsubstantiated claims of combat honors.
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

i didn't see in your original post what branch you are going into. i am a combat engineer i graduated BCT/AIT OSUT in October of 2009 i was in Alpha Co. 31st Engineers. we did not see our cellphones the entire time we were there, during the BCT portion we didn't even see a TV except when the DS on CQ during the night left the door to his office open and we could peek in without being seen. and during chow but we got in trouble for looking up from the table. we did get passes at the very end of BCT the very end..... and a couple in AIT but nothing off post and nothing overnight just about 8 hours during the day

i would bring your cell just because it makes the journey to the post easier being able to talk to your family friends a little longer. our phones were taken the night we got to the reception battalion and we didn't see them again until family day (the night before graduation) but leave the laptop at home.

the policy may have changed since i was there almost 2 years ago. and if you are Chemical, trans, or MP then the regulations are less strict and you may be able to have them the whole time i don't know. i know most of the people ive talked to as MP's were allowed to have their phones and some even had TV's in their rooms with xbox/playstation...... the general consensus iv'e picked up from guys in different branches since i was there is the combat arms branches have stricter regulations.

Comment

if you are Chemical, trans, or MP then the regulations are less strict and you may be able to have them the whole time i don't know. i know most of the people ive talked to as MP's were allowed to have their phones and some even had TV's in their rooms with xbox/playstation......
                              I hope your company doesn't have a drug test coming up. Seriously, don't believe everything you hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X