X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Buddy Selection

Do you get to pick your own battle buddy or do they just do it randomly? Also, I am prior service going to basic as an E-4, is this kind of like having a bullseye on your back or do they treat you like everyone else?

Re: Battle Buddy Selection

Often times your battle buddy will be the guy your share your bunk with (I mean bunk as in top and bottom, not same bunk). From what I've been hearing from some of the prior service guys going through is that you actually are treated better and even may have more priveledges.

Comment

Each company may run things a little differently, but I just got back from Ft. Jackson a few weeks ago and we never had "assigned" battle buddies, most times your battle buddy was one of your friends that was nearby whenever you needed to run and do something that required a buddy (going to the latrine, talking to a DS, etc...). I thought I was pegged for extra attention too for being tall, older than most, and an E-4 but that wasn't the case. As long as you do what the DS's tell you to do they leave you alone for the most part. The DS's could care less about your rank- we all got called private and were treated the same.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        Often times your battle buddy will be the guy your share your bunk with (I mean bunk as in top and bottom, not same bunk).
        LMAO.....that's funny that you felt the need to clarify your statement.

OP: I went to Fort Sill and we didn't really have 'assigned' BB's. I ended up pairing up with someone that was the case most of the time, but we just made sure we had someone with us when a BB would be necessary. All of our E-4's were treated as 'Privates', but I was teased a bit for being the oldest in the battery (by 12 years on the next youngest...). It all just depends on where you go and how they're run.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          All of our E-4's were treated as 'Privates', but I was teased a bit for being the oldest in the battery (by 12 years on the next youngest...). It all just depends on where you go and how they're run.
          Originally posted by bigtex View Post
          The DS's could care less about your rank- we all got called private and were treated the same.
          E4's that are prior service may be the only exception to "everyone's a pvt" because of their prior service. I know I have a prior service E4 at my RSP right now that did 8 years in the navy. He doesn't quite get the "pvt" treatment that any other non prior service E4 would get.

Comment

I'd be interested to know what his experience is like in basic. So much of the atmosphere is derived from the temperament of the DS's, so it may be possible for prior service to be treated better in some companies- but that wasn't my experience. We had several E-4 prior service but none of them got treated any better than the rest of us. We also had prior service NCO's training with us and they got special treatment (separate living quarters, cell phone privileges, didn't get smoked, etc...) but I guess that's more understandable. My mindset was- expect the worst if it turns out to be better then its like getting a bonus, if not- you knew what to expect. It's just 10 weeks of mind games.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
              E4's that are prior service may be the only exception to "everyone's a pvt" because of their prior service. I know I have a prior service E4 at my RSP right now that did 8 years in the navy. He doesn't quite get the "pvt" treatment that any other non prior service E4 would get.
              I had the same at BCT, the soldier (ex-sailor) sat next to me on the plane, in fact. But he got treated the same as everyone else.

Comment

Working...
              X