• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to expect at ft. jackson???

hi.
    i leave 20100726 for ft. jackson.
    idk what to expect, im from hawaii.
    can someone explain to me what kind of thing i should be expecting. and could someone give me a time line of a typical day at ft.jackson
    -thanks.

Re: what to expect at ft. jackson???

I just came home from Ft. Jackson not to long ago. Even though I was discharged I can tell you how the day to day went. When you get there you will step off the bus in front of the reception battalion and one of the reception DS's will give you a lecture on the Facilities and what will be happening throughout the night. I arrived at about midnight. They show you some of the buildings and then get you right into processing. Its a lot of waiting and can become boring for some people. But if you just keep your mind busy you it will go by quicker and it wont seem as slow.
    My first night we got our PT gear issued and got out laundry bags and filled out some papers and then had lights out around 330 which gave us an hour to sleep. We woke up at 0430 and started processing again. For about 2 more days we got our shots. Hair cuts, Full uniform issue down in the basement level, and went to the troop store to get items we need for the first two to three weeks of BCT.
    We shipped for BCT on a saturday and for us it was 2 days earlier than we were supposed to. It was pretty crazy. I loved it. I was in C co. 1/13th. the DS's we yellin at us telling us to keep our heads down and not look out the bus windows. When we got there they were screamin for us to find out bags and get our **** and fall into formation. That first day you do a TON of stuff. Its non stop. You will not get any down time that day. So sleeeeeeeeeep the night before, Whatever you do please just sleep! Our first day we got to learn who our DS's were and we learned our company area and whos bays were whos. We learned our chain of command. my platoon also got to learn how to run up stairs very very very fast since we were on the top floor bay. Let me just say you will sleep that first night of BCT because you will be pretty worn out.

As far as the day to day goes its going to depend on what unit you are with. Some is the same and some differs. Also depends on your DS's you will have three or four per platoon and about four platoons per company. so about 12-14 DS's are around in the morning for formation. So watch your step. Anyways... You will wake up around 4:30-5:00. ( it can be earlier!) and you will go downstairs and form up in formation, Everyone will be in PT's... Make sure everyone has the same stuff on or it will not be fun! And you will do PT. about an hour of pt... sometimes more if they have time. After that Breakfast chow. then you will run from the chow hall to another formation at that time it should be around 0745. The DS's will come down and you will call at ease 238902839028 times because they walk in and out of offices and around corners 700 times to try and catch anyone off guard. If no one calls at ease a platoon or the whole company can get smoked. Now between morning chow and lunch chow changes from time to time, it all depends on whats scheduled. There might be some range scheduled like Victory Tower and Team building course or Rifle range. If not you may have classes ( DO NOT fall asleep in class!) or you may have bay maintenance or rifle cleaning. Dont get it twisted there is never down time :-P. then came lunch chow at about 1145 for my company. that last a little bit then after that you rush back to the company area and form up again. You fall in at the position of attention and have to wait for a ds so you might be still for a while. Then the DS will tell you what happens next. Gear cleaning, Full battle rattle drills, Rifle PT, anything they can come up with. It seemed like our DS's made it all up as we went but Im pretty sure most of it was planned out before we even came. around 445 was our dinner chow. after that was another formation and we ended up doing company and barracks maintenance after that till about 8 pm after that we would have to toe the line in our bay for the DS to come and have DS time. Thats where he/she would telll us how much we sucked at how much we have to improve and usually give us the final smoking of the day. Then we would shower off, write letters and lights out at 0900 for us. You will do fireguard at night. there will always be ATLEAST 2 people awake at any given time at night. Just hope your platoon doesnt have 5050 fireguard or worse 5050 full battle rattle fireguard.
    That about does what I have to say. Nothing that We did was impossible. Just push and you will be fine. You will be tired a lot but you will be doing so much you wont have time to doze off. (unless of course you are in class, But dont do it) Goodluck!!!

Comment

wow thats alot to expect. i think i can handle. i been through youth challenge.
      what is exactly fireguard and battle rattle guard?

Comment

Fire guard: Is a guard posted in the bay throughout the night. Depending on unit SOP they could be hour shifts or two hour shifts. Usually there is enough people in the bay so that you might be stuck with it every night. The history behind it was way back in the day they barracks were in wooden building and they used a wood stove to heat the barracks The fireguard would watch to make sure there were no fires.

Full Battle Rattle is alll the gear you would be wearing at war. ACH ( Army Combat Helmet, IBA (bulletproof vest), Molle gear, Weapon. if you get stuck doing full battle rattle fireguard then you have to wear all this stuff during your whole shift. Fun Fun.

Comment

oh i see. just like a security guard.
          exactly how tall is victory tower cuz im afraid of heights.

Comment

I would say like 60 ft. Maybe 75. not very tall. Trust me you work yourself up to think its impossible but its pretty easy. When you march there and you see it in person you will be like "ohhhh thats IT?!?!?!" its not tall at all. You will be nervous when you do the repel but just remember that rope will hold all your weight. You can L out and just chill there as long as your brake hand is behind you back you wont move. Enjoy it! Its a blast!!!

Comment

Search basic training jackson on youtube and you can see a video of it.

Comment

Drill sergeant pushed me off Victory Tower =/ I mean, I had everything tied to me atleast.

I am extremely scared of heights and I got over it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                  Drill sergeant pushed me off Victory Tower =/ I mean, I had everything tied to me atleast.

I am extremely scared of heights and I got over it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

It was sweet. I would do it a thousand times and I hate heights... A little less now though.

Comment

oh i see.
                    how was the gas chamber?

Comment

The Gas Chamber is all Hype, but will get you to soldier up.. For more info on this use the Search, there a quite a few long post related to Gas Chambers

Comment

hows the bays?
                        how much shots we gon get at reception?

Comment

Originally posted by Aloha Army 808
                          hows the bays?
                          how much shots we gon get at reception?

I think i got 6. I just closed my eyes and let them poke hahaha. And the bays are ok. All depends on where you get assigned. there are some new units that are put in these nice new buildings called starships, Marched past them once. They are huge *** buildings. Probably are pretty nice inside. The older barracks are just that... old. lol

Comment

oh 6 man im scared of needles how big were the needles?

any tips for brm?

Comment

Don't worry about those needles, bradda, they only hurt for a minute!

As for BRM, just listen to the instructors, slow your breathing (which slows your heart rate) and hold 'em and squeeze 'em. Too easy!

The biggest thing what will help you with Basic is to have fun (I thought boot camp was hilarious and I went to Parris Island!) and remember that millions of other Joes have gone through training and made it!

Comment

Working...
                              X