X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Benning in May 2012?

I'm shipping out for OSUT at Fort Benning on May14th, 2012 as an 11B. Anyone else shipping out around that time?

Re: Fort Benning in May 2012?

Im shipping may 15

Comment

I'll still be there. Slated to ship out 20120326 as 11b papa for MDNG 158th LRSU. This hinges on my full shot at MEPS on Monday, but I'm ready to go. After OSUT and airborne, I'll be back home by mid-July.

Comment

Been there back in Feb. 2011 as 11B and went Airborne school, and let me give you advice. If you get assigned to 1-50th INF BN, be prepared to suffer extremely hard. Also bring $20, a $20 AT&T Prepaid card for the payphones, a cellphone or ipod, and DO NOT EAT THE JUNK FOOD AT 30TH AG RECEPTION.

Once you land at fort benning, you will go straight to 30th AG Reception, and you will be there for over 7 days. You will be bored out of your mind, and you will not have ANY SLEEP depending on capacity. When I was there I was awake for a total of 72+hrs with no sleep. So get as much sleep as you can. While at the DFAC at 30th AG please DO NOT GET THE JUNK FOOD, YOU WILL REGRET IT. The drill sgts at 30th AG are considered "NICE" compared to your real drill sgts.

Once you get to ship out to the real basic training, make sure you put all your heavy stuff in your ruck, and the light stuff in your laundry bag. You will go thru your shark attack, (Mine was run up sandhill to 1-50th barracks, and do sack benches). If you get 1-50th you will RUN up sandhill.

Once you get settled onto your platoons, and company, you will be doing paperwork for 3 days. You will get smoked, and you will be in pain. After 3 days you will start your Minimum PT assesment with a 1 mile run, situps, and pushups. By this time I bet some of your battlebuddies in your company will be wanting to quit.

I can go on, but once you get a hand of things it will feel second nature to you. If you want to go to Airborne school in the national guard you MUST score 300+ in the APFT. Drill sgts DO NOT LIKE NATIONAL GUARDSMEN. My drill sgts recommended me to Airborne school due to my PT scores, and I was the only national guardsmen to get that recommendation.

If you get your PT all set, you are pretty much okay for the rest of the weeks. You will spend hours and hours cleaning your barracks, weapons, and doing demeaning tasks. It is designed to lower your morale and increase stress to weed out the weak ones.

Get use to standing in the position of attention for hours and hours. You will get SMOKED especially if someone eats cake at the DFAC ESPECIALLY if you are in 1-50.

Infantry OSUT is different from POG BCT, so do not take it lightly if you are going to be a 11B. Anyone going to 1-50 WILL grow hair on the balls, I admire everyone that graduates 1-50. 1-50 also has the HIGHEST ELS rates (Quitters). I guarantee some people will go suicidal over the stress. Also a lot will just refuse to train because they missed 72hrs of training which they say is the maximum you can miss.

Biggest Advice:
        If you do miss training DO NOT LOSE MORALE. I know if you go to Winders Clinic for Sick call you will end up losing morale and think about quitting. DO NOT DO IT. Your drill sgts will scare you by saying if you miss 72hrs of training you will be restarted to day 1. DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT BS. I've seen many people miss 2+ weeks and important training events and they still end up graduating, because they DID NOT QUIT. Mostly the ones that quit is if they go to sick call, and think they will be restarted because they missed 72+hrs of training.

Morale and PT will get your thru your training. 300+ or 300 average will get you into Airborne school. As for ranger school I doubt it unless its in your contract. RASP will ONLY take active duty, and your drill sgts will say the same thing regardless if you are good enough to be a Ranger. Only way to go to Ranger school would probably to enter WTC Pre-Ranger school when you go back home.

Comment

Were you A 1-50? Everything up there is pretty accurate for my time at OSUT.

Comment

I ship May 15th as well.

Comment

Sorry about the double post, those of us shippin around the same date should post some info about ourselves in case we run into eachother at basic.

PV2 Younger, 20 years old, Chicago IL
              Ship Date: May 15

Comment

i ship may 15th 19D osut

Comment

Originally posted by myounger23 View Post
                  those of us shippin around the same date should post some info about ourselves in case we run into eachother at basic.
                  Good idea. Shipping in June, 09S (31A after). Nervous as **** for the heat. I get the vibe Benning is the most difficult BCT venue to endure.

SPC Woodard, 21 years old, Queens NY
                  Last edited by NY ARNG Woodard; April 20th, 2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I live Philadelphia, Pa My MOS is 19D (Cav Scout baby Hooaaahh!) I was in RSP for about 5 months so i got a little idea of what training will be like I'm a PV2 I ship out for Fort Benning on May 15th for OSUT if anyone wants to add me on Facebook my email is Felder215@gmail.com I'm looking for more battle buddies, and also more Cav Scouts

PV2 Felder, 22 Years Old, Philadelphia, Pa

Comment

drink water. lots of water. Benning is going to kick your butt that time of year. You think you know warm up in Philly (Im from Wilmington), but words cannot describe the heat involved with Benning. so again, DRINK WATER!!! and dont quit haha

Comment

@Philly, what RSP are you in? I'm from just outside philly and we leave the same day and i'm also 19D

Comment

Originally posted by apw5087 View Post
                          @Philly, what RSP are you in? I'm from just outside philly and we leave the same day and i'm also 19D
                          I go to the one on Roosevelt blvd

Comment

Good luck everyone! It's true what they say about southern heat. Be prepared to sweat! I'm not sure if you seen the packing list they have on here, but it's helpful in getting a general idea of what you need. Here's a direction link: http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-b...bring-to-basic.

Comment

If you aren't going to have the opportunity/time to attend any RSP sessions before you ship (like me), I've read that you should learn these on your own:
                              1) Soldier's Creed
                              2) General Orders
                              3) Army Values
                              4) Army Song

Just a heads up for anyone who's in the same boat as me.

Comment

Working...
                              X