Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthodics at Basic Training?

Hi all!

I have just enlisted as an 11B Infantryman. Needless to say, they're going to be shipping me off to Ft. Benning soon, and I was wondering if they allow orthodics (given to me by my podiatrist).

About a year ago while playing Rugby, I developed bad shin-splints and received the insoles from my podiatrist, and have used them ever since. I'm not certain that they are perscription, but if they are they're not absolutely necessary. My MEPS doctor also diagnosed me with asymtomatic Pes Planus (flat feet if I'm not mistaken). I'm worried that if they don't allow my insoles at basic, I'll get bad shin splints again which would certainly make Basic a far less pleasurable experience.

I had also heard rumors that they have a machine that guages your feet at basic training, and based on its results would recommend a type of insole to buy. Is there any truth to that?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

I had also heard rumors

Re: Orthodics at Basic Training?

You walk up to a DS and put your feet on some kind of mirrored box if I remember. He then marks you down for I think one of three types of feet.

Comment

We didn't do the foot machine in Jan of last year. They also didn't allow us inserts. It's been a year and a half and you'll have different drill sergeants, so there's a chance. Bring them, what's the worst that will happen? They'll tell you no.

Comment

You could try giving them to someone to have them mailed to you while you're there. Get them in the mail, put them in your shoes. I don't see orthodics being classified as contraband.

Comment

I'd agree with either having them shipped to you or wear your running shoes through MEPS and have 'em in there. If they are taken away, I'd suggest trying to run without them, and if you do get bad shin splits choose a day when you don't have a lot going on training wise to go to sick call. We had a few people do that for shin splits/foot problems and they were given insoles to use to correct their issues.

Comment

I was curious about the same thing but I do not need them for my runing shoes (usually the arch supports in running shoes are high enough) I actually wear mine daily in regular shoes, walking around tennis shoes and especially my boots when I go to RSP.

I would need mine for inside my boots at BCT, not my running shoes. I will take them and cross my fingers they let me keep them. Personally, I don't see why they'd be contraband if they're able to make me march longer and with no pain.

Comment

Chris, we had a few people go to sick call for foot issues that received insoles for their boots. Bring yours and use that as a last resort if you're not allowed to use them.

Comment

Thanks all! I really appreciate the advice.

I definitely want them for my boots, and I hope they don't have a problem with it seeing as they'll (hopefully) make me a better soldier!

Also, my MEPS doctor diagnosed me with flat feet, so it's not like I'm trying to cheat by not experiencing the typical pain you're supposed to at Basic.

Comment

Working...
                X