X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Benning 1986

This video is very inspiring though the subject matter is 25 years old.

Fort Benning BCT 1986

Ft. Benning Reception 1986
    Last edited by VICEROY06; March 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM.

Re: Fort Benning 1986

I remember shooting the LAW back then and those handguards on the M16A1. I bet the grunts on this forum can attest to many of the similiarities and differences of yesteryear.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      I remember shooting the LAW back then and those handguards on the M16A1. I bet the grunts on this forum can attest to many of the similiarities and differences of yesteryear.
      If I had had it my way, I'd probably would've been at Benning in 87'. I'll bet none of these current grunts could relate to smoking all casually out in the open.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        If I had had it my way, I'd probably would've been at Benning in 87'. I'll bet none of these current grunts could relate to smoking all casually out in the open.
        In those days I was a smoker and I did chew/dip on numerous occasions. The DS use to give us smoke breaks (smoke 'em if you got 'em) and the PX served draft beer. Differnt times.

Comment

I was at reception and OSUT on Sandhill in 86. They were still phasing out the last OSUT and BCT training units over in Harmony Church - all those barracks and buildings were eons old...

In early July 1986 it was still possible to have a smoke/chew break at reception - but not in any buildings (for both cigs and chew). Once we arrived to C-5-1 in mid July 1986 there was never a ciggarette or any chew allowed. The new rule went into place - the only "smoke" from then on was that which a DS brought down upon one. This was also the same year that they phased out the OD uniforms and standardized the BDU.

From everything I have heard from new recruits over the recent years - what one experenced at the Fort Benning School for Boys in the 80's was much different that what they get these days, but I digress... I have to admit, although I never saw a beer at the PX, the NCO club on the Hill was nice on the couple of occasions we were allowed during OSUT.

No cell phones.. OH WAIT we did not have those back then... No Internet access... Wait that was only for DARPA... in 86 we had Charlotte's web but no prior knowledge World Wide Web... we had to reference the dewey decimal system to actually research anything, and buy books and magazines... We missed out on all the wall-to wall counselling that became history in the late 70's early 80's... of course well drove Cadillacs and wore Old Blue Jeans previously, some of you know what happened after that :^) definately good times... definately!
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; March 21st, 2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            In those days I was a smoker and I did chew/dip on numerous occasions. The DS use to give us smoke breaks (smoke 'em if you got 'em) and the PX served draft beer. Differnt times.
            D a m n. This is what I missed. I took the ASVAB at my high school in 86'. A few months after taking the test an NCO that was the size of a brick wall came knocking on my door. My mom swore holy he ll on the guy and told him to hit the road. She lost her dad to WWII and I was her only son. 25 years later and here I am.

Comment

Dewey Decimal system. Wow somebody still remembers the public library's system

Viceroy, regardless if you came back then or now should not matter. The thing is that you are now serving and that speaks volumes. I wish you the best. Seeing the old gung ho attitudes is what I miss. I have been serving at brigade and higher for a while already and there are no privates (E1-E3) in my unit. And I miss the high speed attitudes of those soldiers.

Comment

Working...
              X