Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions/advice about BCT @ Benning.

So I'm set to ship out with in the next 2 months and I just had some questions.. While i know none of this might be crucial Its something I would def like some insight on and others might be wondering the same thing.

So at Benning:

1: What kind of soap is recommended for use? Bar/Liquid?
    2: How often do you get your mail and how often do you get to send some out?
    3: The packing list says to bring 2 locks, do they have to be combination locks or can they be key locks?
    4: Do you need phone cards to make phone calls?
    5: How often will you get the chance to call?
    6: How often will you be able to go to the PX to buy things you need?
    7: Do the shower shoes have to be black? the ones i have are navy blue.

Thanks in advance for answering..
    Last edited by anthead; January 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM.

Re: More questions/advice about BCT @ Benning.

1. I used bar, but I'm pretty sure they also allowed liquid.
    2. Depends on the drill sergeants, but we got mail about every other day, but mail was sent every day (except Sunday).
    3. We were alloweed to use key locks.
    4. Yes, and you can buy them at the PX. Some drill sergeants will actually allow you to use your cell phones for like an hour on Sundays some times. I wouldn't count on that, though.
    5. We were able to weekly or every other week. Just depended.
    6. Once in Reception, then 3 or 4 times total during the 9 weeks of BCT.
    7. Yes, as far as I know, they need to be black. You'll actually get a chance to buy some in reception.

Comment

Originally posted by knelson View Post
      1. I used bar, but I'm pretty sure they also allowed liquid.
      2. Depends on the drill sergeants, but we got mail about every other day, but mail was sent every day (except Sunday).
      3. We were alloweed to use key locks.
      4. Yes, and you can buy them at the PX. Some drill sergeants will actually allow you to use your cell phones for like an hour on Sundays some times. I wouldn't count on that, though.
      5. We were able to weekly or every other week. Just depended.
      6. Once in Reception, then 3 or 4 times total during the 9 weeks of BCT.
      7. Yes, as far as I know, they need to be black. You'll actually get a chance to buy some in reception.
      Thanks for your input!! Heres another question, Should I wait to buy the items that can be purchased in the PX? (To lighten the load) Or should I just buy it at home?

Comment

Did you not receive a packing list from your recruiter or during RSP?

Comment

Even with the packing list, you won't need much of it. Pack light, they will make sure you get everything you need out there, and you'll get an advance on your pay to make sure you have the money.

Comment

Personally, I didn't bring much of anything, and then just bought everything from the PX.

Worked out quite a bit easier. And not as much stuff to haul down with me.

Comment

I went to Benning during the summer of 2009 (Aug 4th ship date). Benning is it's own Animal! The different battalions had different drill sergents, first sergents, and captains. While our company had use of cell phones 2 times, other company’s got them every Sunday.

Originally posted by anthead View Post
              So at Benning:

1: What kind of soap is recommended for use? Bar/Liquid?
              I used liquid at home but switched to bar soap cause it was just easier to get in and out with.

2: How often do you get your mail and how often do you get to send some out?
              We got mail Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, and sometimes Fri... Sat and Sun there is NO MAIL incoming to the individual company's (the mail office is closed at the base)
              As far as sending mail out, some guy's wrote letters from 2000-2100hours (personal time) every single night. Then, in the morning, the fireguards battlebuddied to the mailbox (with DS's permition). I only wrote letters on Sunday, I usually got in the showers at 2005 hours and was in bed by 2030hours.

3: The packing list says to bring 2 locks, do they have to be combination locks or can they be key locks?
              You want the BRASS COLOR locks that once opened, the key will NOT be able to be taken out of the lock. This prevents your key from getting locked inside your locker. You'll carry you 2 keys on you dog chain and give the spare set to the DS.

4: Do you need phone cards to make phone calls?
              I took my cellphone, they know you will. Ours were locked up when we had the origonal shakedown at reception, but are given back the day you drive over to your new home. Once turned in to the DS you may get to use them, you may not. Take a charger with you... For that matter as well, I took my iPod touch and an electric trimmer (knowing it costs money to have my hair cut) I knew I couldn't use these items and they were locked up for 10 weeks. However, you will eventually go to AIT somewhere(if not infantry) and have the opportunity to maybe use them on your personal time and on your weekend passes. I never once broke the rules when it came to the electronical devices and never had a problem.

5: How often will you get the chance to call?
              We got to call home during reception... 7 minutes. Once at basic we got 1 phone call about 2 weeks in to training. But then week 4 we got the cell's for 20 min. And week 8 we got them for an hour(wow). The other soldiers who had "home issues" or special cases were given use when the needed it. The DS's really worked with the soldiers. This all depends on the DS's. Like 1st platoon always got their phones on Sunday (bastards lol)

6: How often will you be able to go to the PX to buy things you need?
              Ahh the PX trips... They will check your purchases by looking at your receipt for any "contraband". You may get away with something lol. But we went to the PX at reception, got locks towels and hygiene stuff. But, never went again till we needed hair cuts 3 weeks later. Then again in 2 weeks. But that does not mean you'll be aloud to go in to the actual PX. (Hope you get the chance to try a banana milk shake at the dairy stand, man they were good)

7: Do the shower shoes have to be black? the ones i have are navy blue.
              We never had an issue with this but I would definitely get the black ones... $3 at walmart! or get um at the PX during reception.

Thanks in advance for answering..

Comment

What unit were you with clyde? I shipped to Benning at the end of August 2009 and was with B 3/47.

Comment

Originally posted by knelson View Post
                  What unit were you with clyde? I shipped to Benning at the end of August 2009 and was with B 3/47.
                  E 3/47... Nice Was a good time. We were all non-infantry MOS and probaly had it easier than the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by clyde View Post
                    E 3/47... Nice Was a good time. We were all non-infantry MOS and probaly had it easier than the rest.
                    Yep, same here, although it looks like I'll be ending up Infantry and back at Benning for IBOLC soon. Wonder if any of my DS's will still be there...

Comment

I went through about a year ago, like everyone else said it pretty much comes down to you're company, and on some level platoon, depending on your DS. I can only speak on my experiences at Benning as 11b osut.

1. I brought bar soap with me and after 1 day in reception switched over to liquid. It really is more convenient. You don't have to worry about putting it back in a wrapper or baggy to keep it from making a mess after it gets wet, unlike bar soap.
                      2. It took mail a couple weeks to start coming in. In the beginning everyone writes a lot so you will get it more frequently, by the end we probably got it twice a week. It really depends on the training schedule and if you are out in the field etc. You can write pretty much every night during personal time. If we didn't get personal time..we would just go in the bathroom after lights out and write.
                      3. Buy locks at the px when you are there, def. get key locks. In fact we weren't allowed combination locks.
                      4. You will need a phone card, and be prepared to share it. Some guys won't have one or forget to buy one, (they'll be rushing you most likely at the px, and you'll have a laundry list of things to buy) so be the guy that helps a buddy out.
                      5. I had my cell phone throughout reception. Some company's didn't, in retrospect I wish I hadn't it just made it harder to be there without my daughter and fiance. Reception ***** enough. Once we got downrange I had 4 phone calls allowed in 14 weeks. 1 to let them know I was alive, 1 because we won an event, 1 on mothers day and 1 before graduation. I saw my cell phone twice... on family day and graduation, so basically when they had to give it to me. Some platoons had more calls though. We were honor platoon too...like I said it will depend on your ds mostly for that aspect.
                      6. We got to the px 3 times, and I got to go once more because the squad leaders got sent to grab everyone stuff for ftx. So...I'd say an average of once per phase...stock up!
                      7. I had blue sandals, everyone else had black...nobody ever said anything to me. To be honest I didn't even realize until week 6 or something that everyone else had black ones. Bring your navy ones it couldn't hurt. They'll let you know what's up when you get there.
                      Good luck!
                      Last edited by np_02; January 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

New questions: how will graduation/family day work? Will we get time to go off base and stay with our families? For how long? What's the closest airport/hotel to ft benning? And how far in advance will we know exactly when we graduate?

Comment

You'll send out information to your families that the drill sergeants give you regarding graduation, schedules, etc. It's typically about a month notice (if I remember correctly). At graduation/family day you're typically allowed off post. Don't be stupid. We were allowed a "36 hour pass" after we finished the BCT portion of OSUT.

Comment

I understand that graduation is on a Friday. My wife and daughters are coming to see me graduate. Do I get to leave with them immediately following the osut graduation ceremony? We plan on me driving back to Michigan with them.

Comment

I havent went to BCT yet, but my Seargent told me to not bring running shoes and other items for hygene, because they are just going to make you buy it there, so dont waste money at home when your just going to have to use money there... This true?

Comment

Working...
                              X