X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going through Basic over the age of 30

I was wondering if anyone has gone through basic training that is over 30 and share some information about it. Was it harder for you than the younger recruits?

Re: Going through Basic over the age of 30

I went at 31. Don't let your age slow you down and you'll be fine. You'll get far less BS from the instructors if you prove that you have the maturity and diligence expected of you at 30+. On the other hand, if you act like a turd, you'll be labeled an old-turd an life will ****.

Comment

Two of my best friends from 11B OSUT were 32 and 39 respectively - the first was a SWAT Team member and the latter a firefighter. They were both highly squared away, were made Squad Leaders at one point, and two people I could rely on to help me when I was Platoon Guide.

They caught a few jokes from the younger guys about being older...but when they got top PT scores they were the ones who were laughing

As long as you can stay above some of the BS which goes on, identify the other more mature recruits (some may be young in years but high in maturity), and make them your social circle, it'll be a lot more bearable.

Best of luck!

Comment

In my 11B OSUT, there were a few people around that age (30 y/o). They didn't get any hassle from us younger guys at all. We pretty much talked and joked around with them just the same.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it, just turned 34 last week.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I am nervous about the whole process.

Comment

I just graduated 11B OSUT on July 8th. I turned 40 during basic. I was the oldest guy in the company and the DS's, my peers, and even the XO loved to bust my chops about it, but it was all in fun. Just take it in stride and you'll be fine. It's nothing personal. I had a lot of fun being around some of the younger guys in my platoon. My PT scores were always in the top 10 in the platoon. I remember after one of the pt tests later in the cycle one of the DS's was reading of the scores and when he got to me he read my score, and then looked at the rest of the platoon and said hey privates most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. This guy is twice your age and he's kicking your f*****g a***s on the PT test. Just work hard before you get to basic never quit keep an open mind and learn to embrace the ****. Overall it's a great experience.

Comment

We had several people in my Battery(Company) that were over the age of 30. One of them was our PG and a honor grad. Don't worry too much. Just be prepared to be called grandpa. Good luck!

Comment

I turned 32 in BCT, five years ago. It was fine. I'm a female and was one of five that passed the first APFT (PT test). Four of the oldest passed and then some PT young stud. At times you will get crud for it, other times it will be to your advantage. Really makes little difference. I did find it in my best interest to be decent physically before getting there so they cant blame the age on it. Some times they trusted me more, sometimes they treated me no different. Never was it a negative experience because of it. I look ALOT younger then I am though. Well used to more! The oldest male got alot of flak from others but like mentioned before, its done in fun. The less you bring it up, the less it will be brought up. I did find the daily toll took a little longer to recover from then some of the youngest ones but NEVER let it show. What they dont know your age is doing to you, wont hurt them, and it will you if they find out! lol

Comment

I am 37 years old (will be 38 in just a couple months) and I just graduated from Fort Sill 3 days ago as an Honor Graduate. I passed all 3 AFPT tests, ruck marched over 90km (over the 10 weeks) and always finished with my platoon, never falling back or falling out. As some others have said, I was teased a little, but always in good fun.

The hardest part for me was living in a bay with 52 other females (ages 17 - 26) and all the DRAMA. I affectionately refer to it as 'the slumber party from h*ll'...but in the end it, it did go by pretty quickly.

I definately recommend getting in the best possible physical shape that you can, as that is one reason I saw many struggle, regardless of age. I was THE oldest in my entire battery by almost 10 years, but wouldn't have traded the opportunity for anything in the world.

Good Luck!

Comment

I'm 32 years old and I think what will be the hardest for me by far is the PT.

After drill I got home at about 1pm and took a shower then I laid down on the couch and fell asleep for about 13 hours. Woke up around 2:30 or 3am. It will take its toll on us older guys.
                      Last edited by Major General Discharge; December 31st, 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

We had a few recruits in my BCT battery that were around the 30-35 age range. They made it just like everyone else. The Drill Sergeants will mess with you for it and you may get some nicknames. Nothing too bad though. You have a good amount of time until you ship. 2 months of preparation can make a huge difference so start kinda slow on the PT and gradually increase then by the time you ship you'll be doing much better on your PT.

Good Luck

Comment

In my platoon right now there is probably 7 that are 30+ including one 51 yo woman (she had 11 years in the navy but got out 18 years ago) and she got the highest PT score in the company the next highest score was a 34 yo guy in my platoon. And a 32 yo guy was the only person in the company to break 13 minutes on our diagnostic PT test. Basically what I'm getting at is don't let age be an excuse for you with the PT test my company shows that you can out perform all of us younger guys and gals (of course getting beat on the first PT test just gave us more reason to work out after hours).

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
                            In my platoon right now there is probably 7 that are 30+ including one 51 yo woman (she had 11 years in the navy but got out 18 years ago) and she got the highest PT score in the company the next highest score was a 34 yo guy in my platoon. And a 32 yo guy was the only person in the company to break 13 minutes on our diagnostic PT test. Basically what I'm getting at is don't let age be an excuse for you with the PT test my company shows that you can out perform all of us younger guys and gals (of course getting beat on the first PT test just gave us more reason to work out after hours).
                            You're able to use the internet during BCT? I'm guessing during phone time on your smart phone or something? People during my BCT cycle did too. Army BCT has gotten pretty soft.

Comment

Originally posted by ABurris92 View Post
                              You're able to use the internet during BCT? I'm guessing during phone time on your smart phone or something? People during my BCT cycle did too. Army BCT has gotten pretty soft.
                              Army training shuts down during the holidays. It's called Christmas Exodus and soldiers are permitted to either take leave or are assigned details to perform until training starts again.

Comment

Working...
                              X