X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all 31B,68W,35F

I'm getting ready to start the enlisment process but am having trouble choosing between 31B, 68W, and 35F.They all follow my interests and also my college major. Any one in any of those MOS's have any thoughts/tips/want to tell me what its like to serve in those jobs and the AIT?

Re: Calling all 31B,68W,35F

Start out with 11b, then reclass into 31b, then reclass into 42a.

Comment

are you a medic in civilian? Im also in this predicament , I am a medic for the state of FL and am in the process everything done but to choose a job.....been a tough decision. I have a wife n kid at home whos 6 mos old so I would like to get deployed earlier than later. Let me give you the run down of the research i have done so far....
      31B MP awesome job, but is kind of the luck of the draw could be doing cool stuff or be at a gate collecting ID's so thats that.
      68W Combat Medic. Awesome job as well but i feel im already a medic and a good one at that, valevictorian of the school a matter a fact (no ego boost, most humbling) but what are they going to teach me that i already know.
      11B the cream of the crop! jack of all trades as they put it. from here you will be able to do anything even in the civilian life, police, fire, paramedic whatever,,...Special forces if your good enough, go to sniper school, dive, airborne, ranger if you got it...see my point. Only bad thing is you will be walking and humpin ruck as they say. so scores wil ldetermine where yo ucan go...but its up to you to figure out, what ultimatley you want to be. BCT and AIT wont change once you pick your MOS so , choose wisely then maybe if you dont like it you can change it but after AIT, although it might be hard to do,. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

@squash, i can't choose 11b because i'm a girl.

@armymedic im not a civilian medic.i never thought choosing an MOS would be so hard!31b is closest to my college major but i'm pulled toward all 3.i know that they will all help me in the civilian world after college so its just a matter of choosing the one i would enjoy the most i suppose.ive heard a lot of good things about 31b and 68w, although i do worry a little about the hold gate guarding aspect of 31b.i know some people try to choose an MOS different from their other job so they have some variety and some choose the same/similar MOS to their other job.i think having medic experience would help you acclimate/advance in the guard faster and i know that if you have your certifications you can do an advanced version of AIT and get finished faster.i guess it would depend on if you are the sort of person who would get bored and needs variety or the kind of person who would rather have some continuity.good luck to you too!

Comment

Like u i myself am having trouble picking mos as well. So YES!! It is hard I bear u loud n clear 100% . now ur college major from pure assumption I take it to be criminal justice ? Right or wrong ? I understand eBay ur saying about variety and I myself again would love to do work I don't know yet bug then again I would fly through fast track AIT! So it's hard again .. I want to be a police officer and be apart of swat too so being medic in army u can be a swat medic in civ life n it would help... But I'm a ff/pm now so it'd like dropping ff status a dream I still have so enough about me.... Blowing stuff up as 35x series is awesome a family member of mine did it for 6 years n came out e-7 and loved it . 68 w is awesome but need asvab scores to back it up so keep that in mind . I'd say take the risk n go MP. What's the worst that can happen ur at a gate collecting I'd's ?? Or be on combat patrol hodgie hunting lol so good Luck!!

Comment

ok here's a good look at 31B. Since that is my mos I give you some details. Other 31b's please feel free to chime in. First off the whole gate guard duty isn't all what you think. MP's are not the only ones pulling guard duty. Any soldier can be assigned to do this work. Typically on stateside posts you will have mostly DoD or DA police (civilians) doing this job. It's not that bad either. Now overseas posts usuallly have MP's doing this. Gate duty is much much more than just checking IDs. There are many things that happen such as random vehicle and personnel searches. This of course will be based on the security status of the location. MP's do many different things from law enforcement patrols on posts to combat patrols and operations to internment and resettlement operations. Through my career I have heard MP's referred to as "multi-purpose". MP's are also considered the "Force of Choice" for low intensity conflicts. Like every MOS it has its ups and downs. You will train in a variety of things. Everything from the high speed "run and gun" kicking in doors and shooting things up to working in a police station. This past summer during AT we got to train with Army Rangers in advanced MOUT tactics and combat operations. I have not yet deployed so I can't tell you much about that aspect, but I have been told we do a wide range of things in a combat zone. Anything from doing guard duty to convoy security to even being tasked with light infantry missions and even working in a detainment facility. Hope this clears things up. Just because someone is a MP doesn't mean they are always going to do Gate duty. I even know mechanics, infantry and even cooks assigned to do this task.

Comment

I can tell you as a 68w you can do airborne all all that other fun stuff as a medic you can go anywhere and being in national guard you can double class say you go 68w and you are put with a mp unit you can request to goto mp AIT and you will be a mp and a medic for that unit which is a plus just think about it 68w is 2nd largest mos in army 2nd only to infantry reason why every unit needs medics we serve as infantryman,mp and everything in between im in 68w ait now and we have around 5 females getting airborne and 7 males alredy going ranger and sf if u want quick advancement and infantry oppertunities go 68w smartest choice i ever made.

Comment

Longest.......sentence.........ever!!

Comment

Originally posted by klong707 View Post
                  I can tell you as a 68w you can do airborne all all that other fun stuff as a medic you can go anywhere and being in national guard you can double class say you go 68w and you are put with a mp unit you can request to goto mp AIT and you will be a mp and a medic for that unit which is a plus just think about it 68w is 2nd largest mos in army 2nd only to infantry reason why every unit needs medics we serve as infantryman,mp and everything in between im in 68w ait now and we have around 5 females getting airborne and 7 males alredy going ranger and sf if u want quick advancement and infantry oppertunities go 68w smartest choice i ever made.
                  You can do all the hooah schools in any MOS. There just needs to be funding and a need for it. There are places which even medics cannot go that MP can. You can have multiple MOS' but will only perform your primary MOS (though having 68w can be very useful knowledge in worse case scenario) . Most units around here will not give up a medic for another MOS unless they are excess medics.

Unless things are going very badly a medic cannot serve as an infantryman. Infantry must be able to operate weapons that medics are not allowed. such as automatic weapons. Medics are protected by Geneva convention and lose their protection if the use one. The only weapons every medic i know say they are allowed to use are M4 and M9 pistol. I'm sure if you go SF that doesn't apply.

As for advancements, that depends on many factors. It's different in every unit due to slot vacancies. generally in my state, medics, MP, cav scout, engineers seem to be the fastest advancements.

To the OP, research all your options and find the best option for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X