Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ability runs in BCT

NG forum:

When I enlisted a month ago, I couldn't run a mile. Since then I've been working on the cardio and have made some progress. Now I'm up to about 1.5 miles before I feel like death. Nausea, dry mouth, mental confusion, unquenchable thirst...

I'm doing the best I can here PT wise, but my BCT ship date is in TWO WEEKS, and I'm getting very nervous about my running ability.

Can anyone with experience speak to how the BCT running program is administered for folks coming in as non-runners? What are the (lower) ability group runs like, especially in the beginning of BCT?

Any advice is helpful and appreciated.

Re: Ability runs in BCT

The lower groups are like a walk.

My advice is not to worry about it, as long as you can run a 8:30 one mile you are good to go.

You're going to be suprised how fast your body changes in BCT. I've seen people lose up to 40 or 50 ish pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by rkh View Post
      NG forum:
      Can anyone with experience speak to how the BCT running program is administered for folks coming in as non-runners?
      My advice to you is to stop thinking of yourself as a non-runner ASA-now. You will be expected to be a proficient runner for the rest of your military career. So get good while you're in basic training and don't ever let yourself go. Not everybody is an A-group runner and nobody expects you to be. But people have a way of turning themselves into disgusting fat bodies after TRADOC and lose the respect of their subordinates very quickly. Start thinking of it as a way of life and not just a BCT task.

Comment

We did ability groups based on one mile, and I was put into the A group because I could smoke one mile. Unfortunately, after running with the A group, they told me to go down a group.

But then the B group ran as fast or faster than the A group, so I went down to the C group. Where I found my home. I eventually passed the PT test, probably not as fast as I wanted. I probably could have gotten a 290 but the run killed me.

Just shoot for an 8:30 mile so you can ship to BCT, the rest will come with time.

Comment

My RRNCO, who is a two time OIF veteran with the combat infantry badge and a former Marine, told me some words of wisdom.

He said, he's never ran two miles in combat. He said, he's ran across the street. Mabye up and down stairs all day, but never two miles.

He also said that in 13 years of service he's been demoted twice and if he stays another 13 he will probably be demoted two more times. LOL, he's hilarious.

That's why they are changing the APFT to simulate combat.

Comment

Your DS's WILL get you where you need to be, seriously stop worrying about it

Just never quit

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post

That's why they are changing the APFT to simulate combat.
              Haha maybe by October they will have gotten rid of the whole run period lol

Comment

Originally posted by NJ732 View Post
                Your DS's WILL get you where you need to be, seriously stop worrying about it

Just never quit
                This. My first graded run I struggled to get 16:30. My last PT test before graduation was 13:36. I'd also lost 25 lbs in that time.

DS knows best.

Comment

Working...
                X