Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic or unrealistic Goals? - joining the TX Air National Guard

Hello,

I am interested in joining the Texas Air National Guard for the purpose of launching a full-time military career in AFSC 86M0 Operations Management.

I recently completed undergraduate studies at Georgia State University, earning a B.A. in Communications, 3.1 GPA, and will be pursuing a graduate level degree, with a dual concentration in Human Resource Management and Operations Management, at American Intercontinental University in Houston, TX.

Goal: Join as an officer, complete basic training/ technical training, hold an officer rated position in human resource development on a base near Houston, while attending school full time. After completion of the graduate program, work in Operations Management in support of the Military's mission. Retire from the military.

My questions are:

(1) Does TX ANG offer tuition assistance for graduate students?

(2) Since I have complete undergraduate school (120 credit hours), will I be eligible to join TX ANG as an officer w/o attending OCS? If not, am I eligible for the Accelerated Officer Candidate School? OR could I attend Traditional Officer Candidate School (18months) while pursuing a master's degree (12 months)?

(a) how long is the process to get in to an OCS?

(b) If accepted into the Accelerated or Traditional OCS, will I have to attend technical training after basic training?

(c) Will there be onpost housing during OCS?

(d) If I must complete technical training, how soon will I be sent to a designated post after completing Basic Training?

(e) Will there be on-post housing during Technical Training?

(3) Could you tell me about the 09S Option?

(4) Will I be able to work (PAID) on the military base and attend school full-time?

(5) Will I be eligible for on-post housing or receive basic allowance for housing?

(6) If I later decide to transfer states as an Air National Guard Officer, how difficult will this process be?

Re: Realistic or unrealistic Goals? - joining the TX Air National Guard

You realize this is a ARMY NATIONAL GUARD site??? You need to go to www.goang.com and call the (800) number

Comment

WOOF WOOF!!!!

If you are looking for a fulltime position try the airforce.

You have about 100 different issues here. You should try one small step like ROTC.

Comment

1. Yes up to a masters level but first come first serve basis as with all TA.

2. No OCS for Air Force Components its called OTS and you don't need to go to Basic to be eligible for it. Need a bachelors degree which you have and since you want to do operations management be selected by the non-rated board.

A. Not sure for the ANG but I know to get into the Air Force currently it is a long wait since they are overstrength they keep cancelling the officer boards. It goes Academy, ROTC, then OCS/OTS to fill the slots with priority in that order. If your state needs officers then Im sure it will be a quick process.

B. If you make it through OTS you will go to this officer leadership course(not sure of the name) then onto your AFSC training site.

C. OTS you will live at the training facility.

D. Tour availability is based on funds, qualifications, and your unit allowing you to do a MPA tour.

E. I think there is, again not sure.

3. 09s is a MOS for the ARNG and Army not sure if there is an equivalent AFSC.

4. Yes and No. You are a traditional reservist which means you drill one weekend a month and do 2 weeks annually w/o deployments of course. However you can do MPA tours or volunteer for AEF. There is also Active Reservists positions too or technician positions that are listed on the Air Force Personal Center Website.

5. Only if you do MPA or AEF.

6. Not sure on this one you will have to ask an Air National Guard Recruiter. My guess its easier for enlisted ranks E-1 to E-4 not a lot of slots available for Officers from state to state. ANG is a smaller component compared to the Air Force Reserves or ARNG.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
        Last edited by MichaelPC; May 31st, 2011, 10:43 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Comment

...I did not realize this forum was for ARNG. Thank You.
          Last edited by New_Girl; May 31st, 2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

This information is very helpful!!! Thank You!!!

Comment

Working...
            X