X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving for basic shortly - question about packing list

I'm shipping this Monday and I received the packing list but all the gold phasers at RSP drill, as well as most of my cadre, told me not to even worry about bringing anything on packing list as we'll be required to buy it all at the PX when we arrive at reception.

I know my driver's license, social security card, ATM card, and some cash are mandatory but what else? I'm planning on wearing running shoes, jeans, and a tshirt to the airport - should I bring extra civies? Should I bother bringing toiletries and hygiene products or will we be going to the PX as soon as we arrive at reception? I keep hearing how boring it is at reception and how you just sit around - would I be allowed to have a book?

I'm scheduled to be at reception at Ft. Benning for 7 days if that makes a difference.

Re: Leaving for basic shortly - question about packing list

I'd bring a toiletries. You're going to need to shave, and you're going to want deodorant and toothbrush/toothpaste. Otherwise I'd imagine you'd be ok. When I went through Benning we weren't allowed books. Religious texts are ok, so if you're into that, bring a Bible or whatever.

Comment

Don't bring anything at all. The clothes you are going to wear are fine. In fact don't even expect to wear your running shoes. As you will have to buy the pair when you are there. Not sure how they do it now, but when I was at bct in 97 we had 1 week of in processing. We were thought how to get in formation, a little bit of marching, how we were expected to stand in line for chow, etc. You will be given everything you are supposed to have in the line of military clothing.

As far as running shoes go, they will check your feet to see size, arch etc. They do not want you to wear your own sneakers as you could have bought the wrong ones. Yes it's true you can buy bed running shoes. They do not want you to have any excuse for not being able to pass the PT test. In processing is very boring. Lots of push ups. Don't ever stand around. In processing is run by DS so if they see you just standing around, you will not be smoked but they will make you push the earth and stay in the front lean for a good amount of time. So if you can try to stay busy. If for nothing else they will give you a common task book. KEEP IT ON YOU AT ALL TIMES. If you have nothing to do, open it and read it. You will be spot checked on your general orders, army values etc.

My in processing took 2 weeks, they made me wait 1 extra week so I would not have down time between BCT and AIT. I was bored as anything the 2nd week and wanted so bad to start my training. Some soliders get out after the 1st week, some the 2nd week. So needless to say my basic experience was 12 weeks. Longest time of my life. Days felt like weeks, weeks like months. But stay focused, don't stand out. You can and will be made an example of. When you get to your unit I would highly recommend you learn your chain of command. You will be quized on it. In my entire company only 2 soliders knew the entire chain of command and they were allowed to eat ice cream for dinner and they got a break. IE they did not have to clean the bathroom. They got to sweep the floor. Yes that's a break, believe me. We had soldiers dumping on the edges of the bowls. It was crazy.

Best advice I can give you is NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER raise your hand for any duties. They all ****. Take the push ups, it's easier. My first night we were asked for 5 volunteers. No one raised their hand. The DS screamed, that if she did not have 5 in 5 seconds we all would regret it. She counted down and my stupid butt was #5 as no one seemed to be willing to step in. Well a few minutes later I was cleaning urinals. No joke. Out of your entire BCT you might see one person raise a hand and get a sweet duty. But it's rare. Stay focused and remember. Time is on your side. No matter how bad it gets as long as you do what they ask of you. You will eventually be home and taking a shower alone.
      Last edited by SteveLord; April 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM. Reason: Broke up wall of text. -SteveLord

Comment

Originally posted by BryanIL View Post
        would I be allowed to have a book?
        Yes you'll have a book. They will ask you to turn to page 32. Have fun.

Comment

I'll be going to Benning next month, how do you know how long you are scheduled to be in reception?

Comment

Squash is absolutely right. You'll have a book at reception. THE GOOD OL' "SMART" BOOK! It's full of some of the most boring basics of the military and Army life, and you will be constantly reading it through reception and through much of the hurry up and wait of BCT. HAVE FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by Amalgamation View Post
              I'll be going to Benning next month, how do you know how long you are scheduled to be in reception?
              Your enlistment papers have the dates of reception, basic, and AIT.

So I'll definitely bring some toiletries - what about civies and things like extra socks, underwear, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by BryanIL View Post
                Your enlistment papers have the dates of reception, basic, and AIT.

So I'll definitely bring some toiletries - what about civies and things like extra socks, underwear, etc?
                Personally, I wouldn't bother with extra civies. I'm fine being nasty for a day or two until they get me uniforms. That being said, socks are probably something you want, and the same goes for underwear. Pack light and bring what you find comfortable. If I remember correctly we got there and within a few hours we were wearing PT shorts and shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalgamation View Post
                  For most, it's a week. Some are there a little longer, but more often than not...you go "down range" after a week.

Comment

remember the more you pack the more you have to carry! lol bring toiletries and a change of socks and underwear and all documents that you need and you'll be just fine

Comment

Oh man this just got me remembering. After a few days of reception you are going to think it's not so bad. Then you will get on a bus and it still will not be so bad. But then the bus stops. LOLOLOLOL. Your DS will get on the bus and you will enjoy the madness. Don't ever move slow. Whenever you are told to do something, you better move with a serious purpose. When you get out, years later you will look back on things that drove you insane at the time and laugh your butt off. I don't know if they give the DS's a book after they leave DS School. But they all have these one liners that will make you want to laugh your butt off. But don't!!! Cause if you do you won't be laughing long.

Comment

I've got a picture of my PLT DS climbing through our bus window to welcome us to BCT. Good times. I'll try to snag it off Facebook in the next couple of days.

-Got the picture from a slideshow they showed us at graduation. The CO and XO took pictures during our training.

Comment

BCT sounds like 10% of the time it'll be the worst experience ever, and then the other 90% of the time you'll be thinking this is the best thing I ever signed up for, and after graduation it will ALL be the best thing you ever signed up for. I ship in exactly a week and I am 97% excited and 3% nervous, and honestly the thing I am dreading more than anything is the excessive boredom of RECBN, all the rest I'm pretty sure I can handle. Right now I'm 29, I work in a very-much conservative, quiet, etc office type of environment, I think BCT is going to be a whoelsale change but I'm really looking forward to it to be honest. I'm very glad for gainful employment and good benefits / decent pay but this desk looks more and more like a cage every day.

Comment

hygiene items for up to 7 days. a change of civilian clothes. License or state id. ATM card. Social Security card, 20-50 in cash. No more than 50.

Comment

Alpha, what base r u going too?
                              Last edited by Bikerboy08; January 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X