X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm a little squeamish

I am slightly squeamish. Honestly, I can handle seeing anything except for someone who's been scalped or has had their face blown or ripped off or something. Even though those are a bit extreme scenarios, I was wondering if I might run into something like that during a class at BCT? My fiance is in the guards and told me that during BCT you see some of that stuff but you're too tired to really care. Is that true also?

Re: So I'm a little squeamish

We seen stuff like that during CLS and first aid in BCT. For the most part nobody had any issues. I think having the DS' around and trying to stay awake was a factor. If you start getting woozy just look away and gain your composure back. As a soldier if the worst case scenario happens you might have to **** it up and render aid to a fellow soldier in need.

Comment

Yeah, I remember some gnarly slide shows in the classes kswat mentioned, but they generally warn you that it's coming, and you're DEFINITELY struggling to stay awake in those classes.

Comment

Alright, that serves as relief for me. Thank you! Though I kind of wish I had gone to school one day in 8th grade when they had this one guy as a speaker there who had shown pics of his face blown off from an attempted suicide, then I might not be this way =p

Comment

Squeamish? I am going to be very blunt and just say, GET OVER IT.

Comment

Yep, that's what I've been telling myself this whole time I've been thinking about it. It wont be so bad once I'm used to it.

Comment

The worst pictures I think I saw going through OSUT were during the STD brief. Yep, they've got pictures of just about anything you can imagine during that slideshow.

Comment

Don't train for only BCT. Army's do 2 things: Train for war and go to war. Prepare like you are going to battle. Will yuo see this stuff in War? It's a big possibility. You have to figure out if you can make it through it then, because if your battle buddy drops with a bullet wound or shrapnel to the body or face and blood is all over the place, you can't be worried about being squeamish. You're going to need tog et over it and put your hands in there to help stop the bleeding.

Comment

The internet has far worse images out there than anything the Army can throw at you in a basic course I am sure.

Comment

It could happen, its called Combat, and the guys you are fighting, dont like you very much. Do you get used to it? Nope, but you learn to understand it and deal with it. There is no warning, it just happens. Go back to your training and take care of what you see. Panic and Adrenaline, do come with it, no matter how many times you see things like that. Chances are slim, but yes it does happen. From a Door Kicker, to the Admin person walking out of a chow hall. Dont live your life in fear, but learn how to react to certain parts of reality. You will be fine, no worries.

Comment

Don't worry about it. At BCT your mind and body will be focused on the task at hand. The Brown rounds know what they are doing and will ensure your mind is in the game. Besides by the time you get to that part of the training you will have gotten over many of your fears and get past this one without issue. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you everyone so much, all of your input has definitely made me feel a TON better about that part. :]

Comment

Working...
                        X