Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Pack Light Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pack Light

    I've seen several threads on here about packing for BCT and the general consensus is to pack lightly. My Cadre told us when going to the hotel the night before shipping out to wear cloths we won't mind throwing away, a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor, needed paperwork, wallet, cellphone and 1 change of cloths.
    He said in the morning at the hotel to clean up, change into the cloths we bought and throw all of it away so that we go to basic with only the cloths on our back, our paperwork, wallet and cellphone. For those that have been there recently how sound is this advice? We won't need change of underwear, a razor on hand, nothing like that? I'm assuming with that advice we would be going to the PX the same day we get there.

  • #2
    Re: Pack Light

    I don't remember if we went to the PX at reception the day after we got there or not (definitely not the day of, since we arrived sometime close to Midnight and immediately began paperwork), but that's very solid advice. Pack as little as possible, because you're going to be issued everything you need and you'll have to carry it all.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pack Light

      thats a bit extreme...you should have the basics with you. Personal hygiene items and a couple changes of clothes at least. What happens if you get to MEPS and find out that you are a transportation holdover and cant leave till the next day? You'd be stuck with your smelly skivies.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pack Light

        I agree - bring what you need figuring you'll need 2-3 days before you're squared away. That being said, if you're fine wearing dirty jeans and a t-shirt but need clean underwear, then go for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pack Light

          Do they issue women sports bras as well or are we allowed to bring our own?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pack Light

            Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            Do they issue women sports bras as well or are we allowed to bring our own?
            Bring your own. I was told to bring 2 white sports bras to BCT.
            If needed more, you can purchase there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pack Light

              Originally posted by shanna View Post
              Bring your own. I was told to bring 2 white sports bras to BCT.
              If needed more, you can purchase there.
              Good to know, I have really good ones and who knows what might be issued.

              Do they have you bring or buy your own skivvies as well?

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pack Light

                Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                Do they have you bring or buy your own skivvies as well?
                they go on a rotation within the platoon...that way you get "new" underwear to put on every day!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pack Light

                  Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  they go on a rotation within the platoon...that way you get "new" underwear to put on every day!
                  LMAO....ok, let me re-phrase my question....

                  Any FEMALE soldiers who have been to BCT....do you prefer the grannies from the PX or is it advised to bring your own?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pack Light

                    Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    Good to know, I have really good ones and who knows what might be issued.

                    Do they have you bring or buy your own skivvies as well?

                    Thanks!
                    Underwear? Who wears underwear?

                    On that note, we weren't allowed civilian underwear. We could wear the brown ones the army issued, but I don't think anyone really wore them. I guess they coined the term "commando" for a reason.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pack Light

                      Originally posted by Hanson View Post
                      Underwear? Who wears underwear?

                      On that note, we weren't allowed civilian underwear. We could wear the brown ones the army issued, but I don't think anyone really wore them. I guess they coined the term "commando" for a reason.
                      I KNEW that one was coming next by somebody.....LOL

                      Um....can I ask WHY no one wore them?

                      Wasn't 'chafing' a concern??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pack Light

                        Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                        I KNEW that one was coming next by somebody.....LOL

                        Um....can I ask WHY no one wore them?

                        Wasn't 'chafing' a concern??
                        I'll assume by 'not allowed' that means I won't bother bringing my own (less some for reception).

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pack Light

                          It might be different for females - I don't know, maybe you guys are allowed happy things, we were not.

                          Didn't bother with them - it got too hot and they didn't help any. Chaffing was more of an issue for the bigger guys, but it was more of a thigh issue then anything else - gold bond helps with this regardless of where it's applied. I don't know - it all seemed like a huge PITA. Why strip down and change in the field? Everything else is nasty anyways

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Pack Light

                            +1 to Hanson, I never wore those issued skivvies, always commando.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Pack Light

                              Females - Bring plain white or tan sports bras and underwear. You might be able to get away with black. No lace, no ribbons, no frill, no craziness, and make sure your underwear actually covers something. :P They have sports bras at all the shopettes, but they're not great, so if you have good ones bring them. I also had family send me a couple decent ones once I got to my OSUT company. Underwear is underwear, at least when you have to follow specific rules like these, the stuff at the shopette was fine.

                              Edit: And wear a regular bra with you to go to MEPS. You'll need it to fit your class A's...er...dress blues properly.
                              Last edited by MPThink; April 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM. Reason: The times, they are a changin'.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X