Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a contracted cadet attend AIT?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can answer my question: Can a contracted SMP, (reserves) there is no reserve forums, MS level II cadet attend AIT. If so what rank would I wear- cadet, or private? My ROTC leadership says I can attend this summer and that I will wear the cadet circle; however, other sources including most of my unit and and many of the older cadets say a contracted cadet cannot attend AIT. I need to know so I can plan my summer accordingly. Thank for your time!

Re: Can a contracted cadet attend AIT?

If you are indeed contracted, then no, you may not attend AIT. Your ROTC contract supercedes your traditional enlisted contract.

Be advised that the term "contracted cadet" is a specific term. You must have signed an ROTC contract, which is a modified form of enlistment.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      If you are indeed contracted, then no, you may not attend AIT. Your ROTC contract supercedes your traditional enlisted contract.

Be advised that the term "contracted cadet" is a specific term. You must have signed an ROTC contract, which is a modified form of enlistment.
      Roger sir, I have signed the ROTC contract, and receive the living stipend and everything. I will make plans for this summer without AIT it seems.

Comment

Hooah,

As you are aware, AIT is for enlisted soldiers that are contracted for a specific MOS. Obviously, in your case, its not feasible and since you are going to become an officer, at the moment, you do not know what branch you will be commissioned for. Out of curiosity, what enlisted MOS where you interested in?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Hooah,

As you are aware, AIT is for enlisted soldiers that are contracted for a specific MOS. Obviously, in your case, its not feasible and since you are going to become an officer, at the moment, you do not know what branch you will be commissioned for. Out of curiosity, what enlisted MOS where you interested in?
          I enlisted as an 88M and currently am a cadet in a transportation unit. I really chose the MOS for it's short split op training (AIT) and the promise from my ROTC leadership that I could attend AIT even if I contracted between AIT and basic training.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooah View Post
            I enlisted as an 88M and currently am a cadet in a transportation unit. I really chose the MOS for it's short split op training (AIT) and the promise from my ROTC leadership that I could attend AIT even if I contracted between AIT and basic training.
            Interesting. To be honest, I do not know if your going into the SMP before you were slated to go to AIT nulled and voided that enlistment contract. I think it will be best for the Army and yourself if you still went to AIT (you will wear your enlisted rank of course) so if you didnt succeed at ROTC, time would have not been wasted to get you working at your unit.

But isn't there a summer camp that you need to attend this year? Or you were trying to get a new AIT date before the summer camp? I think your orders would have had you leaving to AIT this summer.

Read your contract (do not go by promises) and do the homework. Perhaps, its a no-go but at least you educate yourself with the regs.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              Interesting. To be honest, I do not know if your going into the SMP before you were slated to go to AIT nulled and voided that enlistment contract. I think it will be best for the Army and yourself if you still went to AIT (you will wear your enlisted rank of course) so if you didnt succeed at ROTC, time would have not been wasted to get you working at your unit.

But isn't there a summer camp that you need to attend this year? Or you were trying to get a new AIT date before the summer camp? I think your orders would have had you leaving to AIT this summer.

Read your contract (do not go by promises) and do the homework. Perhaps, its a no-go but at least you educate yourself with the regs.
              There is not a summer camp for me to attend this summer as I am just wrapping up my sophomore year and it is not until the end of junior year that cadets attend LDAC. I will try to look in the contract, and I know it supersedes my enlisted contract but I believe it says nothing about still being able to attend AIT- will definitely recheck though.

Comment

Working...
              X