X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Op. training

I am considering doing the split training option where you do basic during the summer and AIT the next. Im thinking about doing this because I am a college student and the training will not finish in time for the next semester. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. I also want to know what Ill be doing at my drill weekends if I go with this option. Thank you in advance.

Re: Split Op. training

Obviously the advantage is that you can do it and not have to take any time off of school. I am doing split op. I leave for BCT in about 60 days and then go back for my last year of college, then AIT.

How much more college do you have left? There is one big disadvantage for me. I qualify for the G.I. Bill and the Kicker. You don't start receiving that money until after AIT though and I don't do AIT until after I graduate from college, but I have to be a full time student to receive that money. So unless I go to grad school, I wont be getting any money from the G.I. Bill or the kicker even though it's in my contract. But if you still have plenty of school left then you will still get your chance to get that money.

As far as drill weekends, you will do RSP. RSP is essentially preparing you for BCT. You will do PT and learn a number of different things. Our RSP platoon has done things such as first aid, combatatives, and weapons trainings. For our April Drill we are actually going to a range and shooting live rounds out of M16's. I actually really enjoy RSP, but if you are in it long enough it starts repeating and you start doing things you've already done. After you go to BCT, you will come back and continue going to RSP drills until you go to AIT. You wont actually start drilling with your unit in most cases until after AIT. I am a rare exception. I'm joining the 67th Army Band. I've been playing my instrument for 12 years and am 1 year away from having a degree in music. Because of this, I only have to go to 1 RSP drill after BCT and the RSP commander is allowing me to go drill with my unit rather than continue drilling with RSP. I'm not sure if this ever happens with any other MOS though or not.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Im only a freshman so I guess it will work out with me. The only problem is that I really want to go drill with my unit since RSP isnt really meant to last that long and I want to train as a cav. scout. But this helped thank you. HOOAH

Comment

You'll end up back at RSP between RSP and AIT. You will be Phase 2 and with other split-ops. I was put in Phase 2 since August because I dropped out of OCS to be elisted for a while before going though OCS. At first is was awful and sooooooo boring. We ended up calling it RSP Pergatory. Then a few months ago we got a better Platton Sgt who took just aobut every ARR imrove comment and implemented it. Last month we did practive land nav on post. Next weekend they will be doing actual land nav in the woods and getting airlifted to get there with a convoy back to the main post.

My suggestion while in Phase 2 is to take the AAR VERY seriously and provide some useful improves along with how to implement them. If your Platoon Sgt seems like a level headed guy, or woman, talk to them and offer input. Let them know you want to build on your skills, not just learn things that Phase 1 are learning to get them ready for BCT.
        Last edited by jaydez; March 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

What's an ARR???

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            What's an ARR???
            It was me trying to type fast at work before my manager walked by :-D Fixed. I meant AAR.

Comment

I don't get it. Why are you passing up the opportunity to get more money, simply by going basic then AIT back-to-back? Remember, as I understand it, you don't get any GI Bill benefits until you complete AIT. You're already a freshman in college now, correct?

Wait a minute, are you sure you don't have time to do basic + AIT after the semester ends? look at ATTRS, or is it ATRRS, I can't remember. example, get out of school on May 15th, go to basic + AIT,you've got 3 full months. double check this. and that doesn't work check this.

Try thinking about this: go to basic; start basic right after semester ends, then AIT right after. While you're in AIT, pre-register for college for the spring. Take 15 hours in spring, then take maymester course, that gives you 18 hours. Take 6 hours in summer, opposite your AT time. you will catch up to your peers faster than you think.

Comment

got this from wikipedia, don't know how reliable:

All Cavalry Scouts attend OSUT (One Station Unit Training) at Fort Knox, Kentucky (This is changing to Ft. Benning, GA Oct. 2011). The first phase, roughly 9 weeks, are basic military training. The second phase focuses on becoming a scout for a total of 16 weeks. During these final weeks the future cavalry men are trained by Instructors as well as their Drill Sergeants.

Comment

or, you could do this: Since you're in college, and you should want to maximize the $ you get and not waste any time, think about it this way.

I think, almost certain, that you can get tuition assistance before basic. find out. if so, go to summer school this summer, take a full load, since you're a freshman, you're still taking basic courses, there should be plenty of choices. Let's say you take your 12 hours.

Then take your CAV scout OSUT training, go to basic/AIT starting in August:

This info is from ATRRS, check out the dates. reporting date August, 15; ending date December 8.

You get back from OSUT, you're a fully qualified soldier, back in plenty of time for spring semester. shoot, you could probably attend a Decembermester course if you want. The bottom line, by doing this method you've essentially swapped your 12 hours in summer for training, almost an even swap, because you most likely would have taken 15 hours in the fall, instead you took 12 in the summer, and you could make the swap a perfect swap with the decembermester course.

012 View 15 Aug 2011 19 Aug 2011 08 Dec 2011 150 Resident FORT BENNING GA 31905

check it out, there is another course that starts two weeks later, ends before X-mas.
                  Last edited by 49thadband; March 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MPArmy View Post
                    Obviously the advantage is that you can do it and not have to take any time off of school. I am doing split op. I leave for BCT in about 60 days and then go back for my last year of college, then AIT.

How much more college do you have left? There is one big disadvantage for me. I qualify for the G.I. Bill and the Kicker. You don't start receiving that money until after AIT though and I don't do AIT until after I graduate from college, but I have to be a full time student to receive that money.

You wont actually start drilling with your unit in most cases until after AIT. I am a rare exception. I'm joining the 67th Army Band. I've been playing my instrument for 12 years and am 1 year away from having a degree in music. Because of this, I only have to go to 1 RSP drill after BCT and the RSP commander is allowing me to go drill with my unit rather than continue drilling with RSP. I'm not sure if this ever happens with any other MOS though or not.

Hope this helps...
                    MP, curious, all band members are now getting GI bill + kicker? how much is that, about 680$ a month? and all nonprior service guys are getting E-4 before basic, correct? What a deal, things are even better now. back when I joined we had CASP, and we got E-3 before basic.

And what are you doing for AIT? we didn't go to the formal AIT at the school of music, we did OJT with a regular Army band.

Comment

Just a quick tidbit of info I recieved while at MEPS that nobody told me about regarding split-op. Yes you are promised to attend BCT during the summer and return in time for the fall semester but you are not promised AIT during the next summer. Example: you go to BCT this summer and are back for the Fall 2011/spring2012 semester but they dont have an AIT slot for your MOS until that next AUG. You have no choice but to go that AUG so you will be missing a semester. My advice is to get it all done at once so you can get all of the tuiton assistance b/c more than likely you are gonna miss a semester anyway

Comment

I actually checked and I think I might be able to do OSUT all at once since i have very early finals. Im going to ask my recruiter about BCT dates. But if there isint enouth time, the other option you told me about seems like a really great idea and Im going to take them into consideration. Thanks for your help 49thadband its appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband View Post
                          MP, curious, all band members are now getting GI bill + kicker? how much is that, about 680$ a month? and all nonprior service guys are getting E-4 before basic, correct? What a deal, things are even better now. back when I joined we had CASP, and we got E-3 before basic.

And what are you doing for AIT? we didn't go to the formal AIT at the school of music, we did OJT with a regular Army band.
                          49thaband, The Wyoming guys are getting GI bill + Kicker + a CASP bonus. The band here is really small and not very good so they are trying to get their numbers up. I got in just in time though, I think the bonuses are gone now and maybe the kicker too due to lack of funding. And yes, I am currently an E-4 but have not been to basic yet. Pretty sweet deal!

We go to the 10 week school in Virginia now with everyone else. They just recently changed it so that we do the school of music for 10 weeks just like everyone else does too. I wasn't real happy about that since once I go I will have just spent 5 years studying music. It's extra money I guess though.

Comment

Just a quick question. I went to MEPS, passed medical, went to contracting, and they couldn't find a ship date for the soonest I can go (Oct/Nov of this year). They told me I would have to come back at a later date and lock in a ship date.

A few weeks later I called my recruiter asking for any updates, he said no updates but he may have found a loophole for locking in a BCT date, and that's going back to MEPS, saying I'm a "seasonal worker", and signing up for Split-Op. He said if I sign up for split op right off the bat, and then go back AGAIN when it's a little closer to my ship date, I can just say I changed jobs and I want to go to AIT right after basic.

I really don't want to split up BCT and AIT, I would much rather do them back to back but I want to get a ship date locked in because my recruiter said they're filling up fast.

Any advice as to if this would work out pretty easily or not would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Worst part of split option is you have to spend more time in RSP! I'm glad the guard is going to let me do split option so I can finish HS though instead of just discharging me.

Comment

Working...
                              X