X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19D Cavalry Scout - WA ARNG

Hey everyone, i've been considering enlisting in the Washington Army National Guard for a couple months now (in addition to the U.S. Marine Corps), and I had a few questions about the career/training path for a "19D Cavalry Scout." Seeing how the WA ARNG only has one ground combat element, the 81st ABCT, i'd imagine that I would be assigned to the 1st Squadron, 303rd Cavalry.

However, i've been Google searching a few sites on the questions below, but quite a few have mix-matched information on the subject. And I figured i'd join up on these forums at the source!
    1. In what order and for how long does each training cycle (Basic, AIT, etc.) last for?
    2. What determines the post I go to for basic training?
    3. What are the training options for a 19D Cavalry Scout? If I wanted to, could I go to Ranger, Special Forces, or Mountain Warfare training in the future if I desired?
    4. After training, could the Army assign me to a different state than the one I enlisted in?
    I know a great deal about the Marines already, so I want to be as knowledgeable in basic Army information prior to talking to a recruiter. I appreciate any input on any of the four questions and I look forward to seeing responses. Thank you, and have a good day!

Re: 19D Cavalry Scout - WA ARNG

Answers to your questions are in bold...

Originally posted by GrizzlyMoose View Post
    1. In what order and for how long does each training cycle (Basic, AIT, etc.) last for? For 19D, you will do 17 total weeks of training, basic and AIT combined into a program called OSUT- One Station Unit Training
    2. What determines the post I go to for basic training?- your job determines this. Since you are a Cav scout, you will be going to Ft. Knox, KY.
    3. What are the training options for a 19D Cavalry Scout? If I wanted to, could I go to Ranger, Special Forces, or Mountain Warfare training in the future if I desired? 19D is a "combat arms" job. You can request to go to any and all of the same school infantry Soldiers go to. It's up to your state's resources and funding if you get a slot.
    4. After training, could the Army assign me to a different state than the one I enlisted in? If you joined the National Guard, whatever state you joined up for is the state you will stay in unless you request an IST(interstate transfer)
    I know a great deal about the Marines already, so I want to be as knowledgeable in basic Army information prior to talking to a recruiter. I appreciate any input on any of the four questions and I look forward to seeing responses. Thank you, and have a good day!
    If you need anything else, post again!

Comment

Great! Thanks for the quick and detailed response, sir!

Comment

All of those answers are correct except the first one. I leave for basic/ait on the 21st to ft Knox as a 19D. It's actually 18 weeks. You were off by one week lol but in my case an extra week makes a difference in knowing in case you have bills to put on hold .lol

Comment

I wasn't counting reception. Your orders doI believe. If not, give me a break dang nabbit! lol

Comment

I heard reception wasn't included in that time frame, hey the longer were there the better lol more pay

Comment

I thought they moved the training to FT Benning?

Comment

Originally posted by GARCIAM View Post
                I thought they moved the training to FT Benning?
                As far as I remember, Armor OBC and MCCC is transitioning to Ft. Benning. I haven't actually looked for the 19D OSUT to see if it's been moved to Ft. Benning.

Comment

I read somewhere on these forums about it changing for people shipping after Oct I believe

Comment

I was in the 303rd. Not going to badmouth any units or servicemen but if I ever transfer back to the WAANG I would rather go in another unit, not sure which but I would start by researching the 1-161 Infantry.

Comment

Working...
                    X