X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling right after BCT?

Hi everyone, my first post here, and I didn't see this specific question addressed anywhere else. This forum is awesome, BTW. Saved me alot of work.

I'm all set to enlist and ship, but the timing is going to work out such that I get back right in the middle of summer......say I got back from BCT around July 1. Would it possible or even probable that I ended up turning right back around sometime in July and drilling for 2 weeks? I'm thinking of enlisting a little later so I won't have to do that (yeah I know, way to wuss out....but I'm already leaving my family for 9 weeks and giving up 9 paychecks way more than the NG offers to go to BCT. I'd like to minimize the pain this year). Just looking for some idea of what to expect. Thanks!

Re: Drilling right after BCT?

When you get back from IET, you'll go back to RSP once to be a BHO, then to your unit. If your unit has AT planned, you'll go with them. Unless you're 09s, then i don't know.

Comment

I am actually going in 09S, I should have mentioned that. The explanation on where/what I'm going to do between BCT and OCS has been a little murky, but I have an "in" with the unit I want to end up at, so maybe I'll check with them to see when AT is this summer. I guess if I'm drilling with where I want to end up that's time well-spent. I just didn't want (if I could avoid it) having 2 weeks in the field doing something I'm not interested in.

Comment

But you won't even be MOSQ...

Get in touch with your first sergeant.

Comment

When I returned it was optional to go to AT since I had the obligatory days of AD in for the year already because of IET. Not sure if that still happens or not. I've learned along the way if its an option, to show initiative, comradary and list goes on, one should go anyways, I mean you get paid, but it was still optional. If assigned unit is up for a deployment that changes things and it can become manditory when generally it isnt. This was three years ago now so not sure if it all stands or not.

Comment

What type of OCS will you be attending (Traditional/Accelerated/Federal). I believe for Traditional and Accelerated you will be 'drilling' in a Phase Zero, preparing you for OCS...

Comment

anxi12 appears to be correct (at least in IN). You come back from BCT and drill with other OCS candidates until it's time to go. I'm trying to do accelerated in January, FWIW.

Comment

If you are doing AOCS in January you will come back and be RSP phase 2 until you ship to AOCS. You will not have a 2 week drill in the summer but you will have to go one weekend a month.

If you do traditional and you are back before the start of phase 1 of OCS in July you will be dropped in OCS and possibly miss all the phase 0 drills. In that case you will do the 2 week drill.

However, if you decide on tradiditonal or get placed in it and you delay your ship date to miss the start of phase 1 you will again be stuck in RSP phase 2 until Phase 0 starts in April.

If your state's RSP is anyhting like mine, you will go crazy being stuck in RSP phase 2 for that many months. I don't recommend it.

Comment

Since every state will do it a little different your best bet is to actually ask at your RSP.

Comment

Working...
                  X