X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Usage at BCT

I've used rifles before, so I know what I'm in for. And I know that I'm right handed and left eye dominant. This means that unless my left eye is covered, I am not capable of aiming my weapon properly.

Will they allow me to tape my glasses during weapons qualification? Will I catch heck from the DSs? Will they try to make me fire left handed?

This and the situps are the things I'm most worried about at BCT...

Edited by Phantom, to go around the Filter
    Last edited by Phantom; March 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM.

Re: Rifle Usage at BCT

I too am a right handed and left eye dominant freak. Your DS's will go through a few techniques to figure out what everyone's dominant eye is (you have to remember that most people have never fired a rifle before). DS's will basically do anything to get recruits to pass BRM, so you'll be able to tape your glasses up (we had a kid put a piece of paper in his eyepro). However, I would suggest you attempt to just close your non-dominant eye while firing, as having one side of your glasses blocked up in a tactical situation would be bad news bears.

I fire my rifle left handed (since I'm left eye dominant) and my pistol right handed (since this is my strong hand) with my head slightly tilted to allow my left eye to see straight down the sights. It's freaky, but whatever works.
    Last edited by MPThink; March 1st, 2011, 02:48 AM. Reason: Closing parenthesis makes me happy.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear that we'll go through all that so I won't have to try to explain my situation to the DSs. I have definitely put paper in my protective glasses before, so I know what that's like. I wish I could just close my left eye, as that would make things so much easier. Unfortunately, for some reason I just don't have control over that muscle... I've been trying.

Comment

I'm also cross-dominant (right hand, left eye). I knew about it before basic and didn't want to mention anything so as to not call attention to myself. I just kept my left eye closed and managed to shoot expert with no issues at all. It got a little tricky on the 200 and 300 yard rapid fire, but slow fire was a breeze. Ultimately you want to train yourself to shoot with both eyes open, especially pistol. That's the best way to maintain situational awareness.

Comment

Every situation is different, but, in my company, they would have made you shoot left-handed.

Comment

Yeah, in my BCT company I had to shoot my rifle and pistol left handed. I was never told that there was any other option, but once I got to my unit I figured out that I could (and should) shoot the pistol with my strong hand and make it work with my other eye.

Also, congrats on the stripes, chd!

Comment

My company would have also made you shoot left handed. we had a couple people with the same situation including me. I am left handed and right eye dominant and have the same problem closing my right eye. If you can figuure out how to close that left eye you will be fine but again, its usually up to the DS. Ours would not let us use paper to cover the eye

Comment

Working...
              X