X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving a conditional discharge through split-op

Before I get any slack, I just want to let everyone know that I'm considering options... I may not necessarily go through this process. I'm just curious how things would go.

I enlisted last year through the split-op program, and went to BCT, but am now exploring going to the ANG. This is not because I'm not Hooah enough for the ANRG but to be completely honest, I think I could be of a better asset to the ANG community than the ANRG community.

Is it possible to receive a conditional release at this point in time?

Another scenario. I have another friend who I went to BCT with who is having the same sentiments, but this time with the Navy. The difference is he went into ROTC and subsequently contracted with a GRFD. He understands he needs to pay the money back, but can he put in a dd368 while an smp and then disenroll from ROTC once he has received a release?

Re: Receiving a conditional discharge through split-op

Do you know how strict it is to get into the ANG??? Good luck with that if you get discharged from the guard for refusing to ship to training (which is what you'd be discharged for).

Comment

Like I said, I am exploring options. If I was required to ship for training, I would do so. I am looking to complete my service, and I do understand my obligation to the Army National guard and have been very proud of my time in. I'm not trying to avoid obligation either.

I think everyone should understand that not everyone is suited for every different thing and the military understands that. That's why you're able to reclass MOS's and such.

Comment

Originally posted by ryncho View Post
        Like I said, I am exploring options. If I was required to ship for training, I would do so. I am looking to complete my service, and I do understand my obligation to the Army National guard and have been very proud of my time in. I'm not trying to avoid obligation either.

I think everyone should understand that not everyone is suited for every different thing and the military understands that. That's why you're able to reclass MOS's and such.
        Yes, but you signed a contract with the Army that you will train under an MOS. Your split-op commitment is a forecast to that MOS seat you will occupy.

Continue driving on with the Guard. Get MOSQ and learn your craft. Talk to the ANG about your interests and what needs to be done.

Your unit sees you as an asset that they do not want to let go. You have to understand the bigger picture at times instead of just you.

If you decide to make a career of military service, you will be still young enough to switch to the AF.

Good luck.

Comment

They say blood is thicker than water. But Government contracts are even thicker.

Why do you think you'd be better with the Air Guard all of the sudden? What's changed? Someone you know over there bragging about how nice their barracks is or something?

Comment

The change has really come from analyzing the two missions and seeing a personal fit. Yes, should I have done more research before I enlisted? Yes. Was I young and made a mistake? Perhaps. Regardless, like I said, I am also a firm believer in fulfilling my obligations and will do so, whether it's with the ANG or ARNG.

I just see myself more in tune with aerospace missions than with the Army's field and tactical missions.

Comment

I've said it a thousand times, if I had it all to do over again I would have joined the air force. But all we can do is work with in our current situation and make the best of it.

Comment

AH, man, I don't like that motivation. I didn't know that there was another service than the Army.

The point of a condtional release is exactly, that conditional you only get released if the other service says okay. So you can try. There's nothing wrong with doing it.

I don't see why you would do it.

If I had it all to do over, I would have joined the Army instead of the Navy.

I don't know though, those white cracker jacks with the dixie cup, are very masculine.

Take me out to the field, I want to roll around in the dirt.

I want to roadmarch, till my shoulders hurt.

I want to feel hot and nasty. HOOAH. I love it.

If the oppurtunity presented itself, I would become a Navy Chaplain. I would go wherever they'd take me.

You should sleep on it, think about it, before you make any decisions. Complete AIT, come back and do OCS. HOOAH!!! That's the motivation I like.
                Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Take me out to the field, I want to roll around in the dirt.

I want to roadmarch, till my shoulders hurt.

I want to feel hot and nasty. HOOAH. I love it.

Complete AIT, come back and do OCS. HOOAH!!! That's the motivation I like.

YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about!!
                  Last edited by Chris36; February 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: Fix an error....

Comment

Working...
                  X