X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Training Lessons

OK, So I completely understand the concept of DS's [sometimes] telling you that you are doing something WRONG (even if you are doing it correct) because there is a lesson behind it..... 'get your bags'....'who know's how to fire a 'gun'...(yikes)..etc

So how do you know the difference between (and take in stride), the 'lessons' and actually doing something incorrectly (i.e. where you're pointing your weapon) that you need to do differently?

Re: Basic Training Lessons

Do as you are told. If s/he says, "hit the dirt" then it doesnt matter how you do it, just do it. "Weapon pointed up and down range at all times"... keep the muzzle up and pointed down range.

Privates think too much in to instructions, they teach you how to just follow simple instructions.

Comment

Attention to detail. Attention to safety.

The foreign and uncomfortable environment can turn anyone into an idiot or baby...whether they are 17 or 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
        Privates think too much in to instructions, they teach you how to just follow simple instructions.
        Like he said, dont worry about sweating those details. That's part of the learning curve, figuring out when your really messing up or when your just being messed with.

Comment

When your DI commands all to tie your L book on command, look around and notice how many recruits tie both. It's a repetitive instinct. They will brake all of your bad habits.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT_CONLEY View Post
            When your DI commands all to tie your L book on command, look around and notice how many recruits tie both. It's a repetitive instinct. They will brake all of your bad habits.
            Excuse my ignorance, but what is an L book?

Comment

This is pretty much how thinking goes during BCT (OSUT in my case)....

Beginning of BCT - "I hope I don't mess up. I hope the DS is happy with me. How can I make a good impression? Why do I only get 5 seconds of a 30 second countdown to get from the PT field to the bay? DS knows we can't get from my PT gear into full kit in 15 seconds, so why did we just get told to do so? This isn't fair. Worry, worry, worry......"

Middle of BCT - "Everything hurts. We are only half way through. How will I make it. I wish I could see my family, friends and pretty much anything that resembles civilization. I'll take duty in the battalion office! There's TV in there! I think DS is happy with me. At least he doesn't pay too much attention to me. I still hope I don't mess up. The day seems to last forever, but the week flew by. I just need to make it to family day for that pass (OSUT)."

End of BCT - "I could care less what DS thinks. Face down in the mud, low crawling through rocks, getting screamed at 24X7 and yet I'm laughing at everything. Finally, I understand what it means to embrace the s u c k. If I can make it through this, I can make it through anything."
              Last edited by azIce; January 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                Like he said, dont worry about sweating those details. That's part of the learning curve, figuring out when your really messing up or when your just being messed with.
                THANK YOU for articulating this for me.....I was not referring to a specific scenerio, just curious how one deciphers between actually 'messing up' and being 'messed with'.

I can take the 'messed with' just fine, just don't want to repeat actual mistakes.

Comment

He you do the right thing and you still get yelled at that is the end of it, if you mess up and get yelled at you might get some extra time w/ the DS.

Comment

You do not decipher, or try to decipher. You do not try to figure out the psychological approach, instructional technique, or anything else. It does not matter whether you are one year out from BCT, or one day from going to reception station - your ONLY worry is to make sure you make it to Reception and BCT healthy and injury free...

There is no secret that can be passed around to make BCT easier, or the Drill Sergeants your friend. You may be older or younger than the DS - it does not matter. If the DS percieves that you are "set apart" from the rest of the BCT class - life for you will not be easier... and you will have placed a big spotlight on you. Do not do this. In the time between now and BCT you should only be thinking about three things -

1. How excited you are (to be going to BCT, to be in the Army, to be in the ARNG)
                    2. How nervous you are (that you actually signed up, that you are going to BCT)
                    3. What it will be like when you are a "real" soldier - fully qualified and trained to BEGIN your journey as a soldier.

Anything more is overkill - no points for anything (except your mid and final APFT).

By the end of BCT or AIT - you will have a better idea of the difference between being messed with and corrective action. A DS is a professional soldier - so you will rarely be messed with / as to corrective action, you will have it spelled out for you what the problem is, how to correct it, and how not to repeat that problem again - then move on to the next mistake you make (or anyone else).
                    Last edited by LRSU_Dog; January 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                      You do not decipher, or try to decipher. You do not try to figure out the psychological approach, instructional technique, or anything else. It does not matter whether you are one year out from BCT, or one day from going to reception station - your ONLY worry is to make sure you make it to Reception and BCT healthy and injury free...

There is no secret that can be passed around to make BCT easier, or the Drill Sergeants your friend. You may be older or younger than the DS - it does not matter. If the DS percieves that you are "set apart" from the rest of the BCT class - life for you will not be easier... and you will have placed a big spotlight on you. Do not do this. In the time between now and BCT you should only be thinking about three things -

1. How excited you are (to be going to BCT, to be in the Army, to be in the ARNG)
                      3. What it will be like when you are a "real" soldier - fully qualified and trained to BEGIN your journey as a soldier.

Anything more is overkill - no points for anything (except your mid and final APFT).

By the end of BCT or AIT - you will have a better idea of the difference between being messed with and corrective action. A DS is a professional soldier - so you will rarely be messed with / as to corrective action, you will have it spelled out for you what the problem is, how to correct it, and how not to repeat that problem again - then move on to the next mistake you make (or anyone else).
                      I did not mean to imply the DS would be unprofessionally playing some game; I simply meant that I have heard from recent BCT attendees regarding being told to do a task, doing it 'right' but being told to 'do it again' because they 'did it wrong'....an expected no-won situation to gain listening skills, following directions, etc. I am sure but was just curious if there was a method to the madness (so to speak).

I definately DO NOT want to be 'set apart' or gain special attention per se' (I'll already feel odd being 37!); I just want to get though it without rupturing anything, enjoy the experience and learn alot.

I am not looking to earn any extra points or try to pychologically figure out some 'inside edge'; I was just curious about the process.

And I am DEFINATELY looking forward to these...

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by azIce View Post
                        This is pretty much how thinking goes during BCT (OSUT in my case)....

Beginning of BCT - "I hope I don't mess up. I hope the DS is happy with me. How can I make a good impression? Why do I only get 5 seconds of a 30 second countdown to get from the PT field to the bay? DS knows we can't get from my PT gear into full kit in 15 seconds, so why did we just get told to do so? This isn't fair. Worry, worry, worry......"

Middle of BCT - "Everything hurts. We are only half way through. How will I make it. I wish I could see my family, friends and pretty much anything that resembles civilization. I'll take duty in the battalion office! There's TV in there! I think DS is happy with me. At least he doesn't pay too much attention to me. I still hope I don't mess up. The day seems to last forever, but the week flew by. I just need to make it to family day for that pass (OSUT)."

End of BCT - "I could care less what DS thinks. Face down in the mud, low crawling through rocks, getting screamed at 24X7 and yet I'm laughing at everything. Finally, I understand what it means to embrace the s u c k. If I can make it through this, I can make it through anything."
                        Very nice; good analogy....LOL

Comment

I am not going to tell you that there wont be a time when someone wants some amusement, or time needs to be filled via strength conditioning excercises... When you start BCT there is no time - there is a lot of ground to cover, and only so many hours in the day... and they wont make you go 24 hrs.. even though some days it will seem very close...

Do not worry about your age... it may be the but of some jokes (being the oldest soldier in my LRS unit I constantly got razzed - it is all good).

And you probobly wont really enjoy the experience until months after you have completed it (or after a few drinks and war stories after you have completed it)... But there will be pride... and a lot of it.

When you start RSP you will get all the prep and advice you need to be ready to attend BCT, so without any carts being before the horse, get MEPS'd and sworn in... then proceed to door number 2. You will be trained as an individual soldier and as a member of a team - always put the latter first, and have the former in high standard and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                            I am not going to tell you that there wont be a time when someone wants some amusement, or time needs to be filled via strength conditioning excercises... When you start BCT there is no time - there is a lot of ground to cover, and only so many hours in the day... and they wont make you go 24 hrs.. even though some days it will seem very close...

Do not worry about your age... it may be the but of some jokes (being the oldest soldier in my LRS unit I constantly got razzed - it is all good).

And you probobly wont really enjoy the experience until months after you have completed it (or after a few drinks and war stories after you have completed it)... But there will be pride... and a lot of it.

When you start RSP you will get all the prep and advice you need to be ready to attend BCT, so without any carts being before the horse, get MEPS'd and sworn in... then proceed to door number 2. You will be trained as an individual soldier and as a member of a team - always put the latter first, and have the former in high standard and you will be fine.
                            Oh believe me sir, I can't wait. Headin to MEPS in a week or so, but unfortunately (for now) my paperwork's still stuck at the TAG level before I can swear in. I am actually quite happy to be going to RSP until August before I head to BCT in August (I know some people dread it...)

I'm not worried about my age, as one thing that comes with it is maturity and people can poke fun all they want, doesn't bother me; I left 'high school' along time ago...LOL If I can provide some comic relief without even trying, then glad I could help.

I intend to enjoy the experience full on, straight away; I can't wait to be crawling through the mud and lovin every minute of of it and trudgin back from a FTX filthy and exhausted!!

I intend to always put my team or my men first; that's just how I am.

Thanks for the advice.

HOOAH!

Comment

I am 40 and going to meps for an over 40 physical and i am excited about that...Best wishes in august. I am hopeing things keep moving forward, so that I can ship mid to late summer.
                              Don't worry about your age..I am not....HOOAH

Comment

Working...
                              X