Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineer Section and Engineer Wannabe Section =)

I noticed looking around there really is hardly any info at all about the Army Engineer Regiment from their Combat Engineers to their Construction Engineers, and the kinds of jobs you can take in them and the differences of Engineer Units.

The unit I hope to join in the next few coming months is a Vertical Construction Company, but looking into them, I can find all sorts of info about Combat Engineers from their Route Clearance Operations, to Mobility Operations, to Counter Mobility Operations, to their **** Defusing Courses to their Dog Handlers. Even their "MTOE" on how their platoons are structured from the Combat Engineer Platoon Sergeant to the Lieutenant to the Squad Leaders and Fire Teams. I have even come across the "Paragraph and Line" for a Combat Engineer Route Clearance Company.

But when I look up Vertical Engineer Company, or Vertical Engineer Battalion, all I can find is the MOS list of 12K,R,W, H, 91B, 92A, 92Y, 74D. And than Warrant Officer 120A, and Officer 12A

Looking more into Army Engineering, I can find "MTOE", Paragraph and Lines, but I can't find any information at all in their missions. I have found a lot of references to "SEABEEs on Steroids" because they do have the supporting mission of helping perform Combat Engineer Missions. which is cool as **** (IMHO). But in regards to projects they work on, and other things like that, I can't find any information at all what so ever.

Especially the Engineering Battalion I want to join which is the 176th Engineer Battalion (Vertical) out of Snohomish, it's like their entire unit is classified in what they do. I found a reference to a Platoon in the Battalion being tasked out to do "Engineer Reconnaissance" but looking that up and reading more about it, they sound like assassins.

"The job of an Engineer Reconnaissance Platoon is to move ahead of allied forces and establish targets of opportunity via: terrain, and geographic locations for emplacement of allied fortifications and developments; design and implement terrain features to be exploited in the suppression or extermination of enemy forces by aiding the Battalion Commander in acquiring information of the: Size, Activity, Location, Unit, Time, and Equipment, and identify geographic features which show as opportunities of exploitation, number of buildings, and determining operational function of an enemy encampment. Engineer Reconnaissance Platoon will engage and destroy Targets of Opportunity when presented and under orders to do so"
    Also, the information on the Engineer Jobs on the National Guard website: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...-jobs/engineer despite the looks of it, is incredibly vague. Anyone who's done Plumbing or Electrical, will know there is far greater amount of duties of a Plumber and an Electrician.

So if possible, with would be amazing if we could get an Army Engineer section here on the forums to provide more information of the Army Engineers, and the different types of Units the Engineers serve in. That would be really cool.

So far I've found like 5 different "Bridging Company's", 4 different Combat Engineer Company's (types) and I've found so far several different kinds of Army Construction Engineer Units, and I also found out the Army has three kinds of Engineer Diving Units?

And that the Army has Amphibious Engineer Assault company's? And two Underwater Construction Company's.

I've been researching and looking into Army Engineers since last night, and I know for a fact I'll be making a second Career in the Army National Guard. I would just like to be able to get more information and learn more about the Army side of Construction. and the Army Engineer Regiment.

Re: Engineer Section and Engineer Wannabe Section =)

I don't think creating an entire section for just the engineers is such a great idea because you will then have to create an entire section for every career field. I'm currently in a Sapper company, so if you have any questions about combat engineers and what kind of missions we conduct feel free to ask either here or by PM. I will say this, thanks to the unconventional war we are currently fighting the role of the combat engineer has been focused almost exclusively on route clearance(***** donkey nuts). In a more conventional war our role is alot more fun and high speed. The Sapper on a conventional battlefield is quite the headache for the enemy.

Comment

When in doubt, use the General section. Or if you have multiple questions. There is no need to go to every single sub forum and make a new thread asking "are there engineers as WOs? As SF?" etc etc. It ends up looking like a mess, members are less inclined to respond, and when they do...you/they risk cross referencing multiple times, creating more confusion.

Comment

What do you want to know. I am a platoon leader for a vertical company.

Comment

Essayons! As a combat engineer, I served in a line company and HHC Brigade.

Comment

I planted a claymore once.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
              I detonated more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                If you water them and give them plenty of sunlight they will grow

Comment

^^^^^Into daisy chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                    What do you want to know. I am a platoon leader for a vertical company.
                    Anything and everything you can possibly tell me! =)

I'm mostly interested in everything relating to what 12K, and 12Rs do (Plumbers and Electricians) in them, and how their promotion progession works.

Looking them up online and doing my research into the jobs, I've found that 12Ks and 12Rs once they become Sergeants turn into 12Hs, so does that mean they are Foreman now? And if so, what additional training do they do? Do they ever get to do the work of their previous job? Do they learn more about the other jobs that are under them?

And what is the role of a 12OA (Warrant Officer) in a Vertical Construction Company? Looking into that job, I can't find out what the huge thing for them is. They are found both in Combat Engineer Line Company's, (Heavy, Light, Stryker, Airborne, Air Assault) and they are found in both Vertical, and Horizontal Construction Company's, and they are found in Bridge Company's.

I've also found out that Vertical Construction Engineers (12Ns) are found in Horizontal Construction Company's, and they are found in Combat Engineer Company's. (All but Airborne?) but they aren't found in Vertical Construction Company's?

When a Horizontal Construction Company isn't building, what does it do in that case?

I am geographically located to where I have both a Heavy Combat Engineer Company (assigned under an Infantry Battalion, 1-161st) and a Vertical Construction Company. Both of them about an hour away either direction. (drive is no concern to me, since I'll get gas money for the drill weekends to do them) and about 3 1/2hrs away I have a Horizontal Construction Company (in Yakima)

But oddly, there is no Bridge Company unless I go Reserve. But that is a "Multi-Role Bridge Company". But then there is a Light Combat Engineer Company (Mobility) and a Light Combat Engineer Company (Counter Mobility) Army Reserve side approx 45 mins for one, and an hour and 40 mins away is the other.

So in my general area, as far as Engineers go, I"ve got quite the variety.

I'd rather go Guard over Reserve though, mainly because I like the fact the Guard has two missions, and two jobs vs one, and seeing how majority of Engineers that rebuilt most of the East Coast, were majority made up of Guard Engineers. So I know I'd definitely be more involved.

So in those regards, Any/all info possible without getting in trouble would be really appreciated!

Also, in the movies for 12R, and 12K, it says you'll Assist with Combat Engineer Missions when nessisary, so does that mean you'll get to do Route Clearance, Mobility, Counter Mobility, and Survivability as well? Or does that just mean you help with breaching teams to help the Infantry get into the buildings to do their "thing"?

Would Civilian Occupation for 12R and 12K help in regards to advancement, or what you're "allowed" to do regarding your job? Also, does the Army go by the UPC and NEC when building Plumbing and Electrical systems in buildings?

In the civilian sector, Plumbers are responsible for all piping, whether gas, sewage, water, oil, and steam. Is that the same in the Army?

In the civilian sector, Electricians branch out as either High Voltage, or Low Voltage. High Voltage is Overhead Linemen, i.e. the guys who install powerline systems, and build powergrids for cities and towns for entire county's. And Low Voltage are the guys who install lines from the powergrid, and build electrical networks inside residential and commercial buildings. Does the Army differentiate the two? Or are they combined in one job?

Thank you!

Comment

Similiar to the civilian world their duties are focused on all piping, including septic systems.
                      12R
                      Low voltage only, power could come from a typical power line similiar to what we have here in the states, or they would have to wire the structure to a generator.
                      12H
                      For E6 and E7, a supervisory position depending on rank and position within the platoon they will be responsible for materials, people, tools, training the junior soldiers, and be the onsite expert of everything they do. They must be proficient in all trades involved in the construction process.

The soldiers in my platoon are 12K, 12R and 12W and cross training is a constant. The majority of my projects have limited plumbing and electrical therefor my R's and K's learn real quick how to swing a hammer and float a trowel. As engineers we are expected to be able to build anything anywhere, and then defend it afterwards. So yes we do can do combat missions, but we would need expert assistance.

12N is an engineer equipment operator. For the most part they will always be located with a horizontal assest, but most vertical platoons have at least one slot.

Comment

I don't mean to make a double post, but it says I don't have permission to edit the post above this one.

Reason I would like to know if the Army goes by the UPC and NEC (Universal Plumbing Code, used across the US and across Eastern and Western Europe, as well as Northern Asian Countries like China etc. NEC is National Electric Code, which is used across the US. Not used in Europe because the US electrical systems use a different amperage (current) and hertz (frequency) to relay power from source to device) is so I could know if the Army teaches skills and training that can actually be used on the civilian side to enhance or pad a civilian career. and if civilian side experience can enhance or pad a military career.

Reason I love Plumbing and Electrical the most (mainly Plumbing, personally) is because they are physically laborious jobs that require high mechanical, and technical aptitude to perform. (Like plumbing side of the house, you're building a plumbing system for 12 showers, 12 toilets, 8 lavoratories, 4 urinals, three kitchen sinks Two Water Heaters (Gas) and 6 outdoor faucets and two outdoor pump stations for a pressure washer or water fountain, you have to have 1.5 gallons minimum per flush on the toilets, 3.5 gallons per minute per faucet, and lavoratory, urinals have to be 1 gallon per minute, showers at 4.5 gallons per minute. the pipe system based on feed, valves along the plumbing system (Globe, Ball, no matter as lon gas they are used appropriately) gas system for the water heater, etc. and designing the pipe system with appropriate backflow preventive measures, and the mathematics to ensure steady pressur throughout based on fittings, angles, etc. It's not something you can truly learn over the course of a couple of weeks. It's why Apprenticeships alone are five+ [10,000hrs] years long) knowing the valve assemblies, etc.

I found a program called Army Civilian Acquired Skills Program, and says you can join the Army as an E4 if you have 2 years or more of Commercial Electrical experience, or two or more years of Commercial Plumbing experience. so that tends to show good on the civilian to military side. But now that brings in military to civilian side.

I've found contact information for a Engineer Company in Gulfport, Mississippi. And will be sending them an e-mail asking for specifics as to how the schooling works for Army Plumbers and Electricians. And in regards to if they are trained/schooled towards the UPC and NEC or not, and how they are distributed within their jobs.

I've found out that a job called Utilities Equipment Repairer are assigned with Electricians to work together as Utility Sergeants to repair electrical and HVAC systems on Army camps and Installations. I've found 91C, or Utilities Equipment Repairers get licensed by the EPA to perform HVAC-R service, maintenance, repair, and installation. But those are assigned to Brigade and Division Headquarters as sections. They also have Plumbers with them and serve as the installations maintenance team supervised by a 120A. But they aren't an "Engineer Unit". Can't find much info other than that.

As far as what they can do in a Vertical Engineer Unit, well, to put it simply, I can find more information about Army Special Forces, like the 19th Special Forces Group, I can track down information of where they've been, plot geographical area's specific ODBs have been deployed to (via determining which battalion and whcih company the ODB belongs to) and can even determine where the next deployment is going to, that is how predictable the patterns seem to look. Then as far as jobs, I've found info of Comm Sergeants being assigned to ODAs, ODBs, and the next level up, to the point an entire career pipelines can be mapped out. Same with the Medical Sergeants and Weapon Sergeants. I have also found school information for something called Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, which is apparently from reading through the info a Sniper School for Special Forces to assassinate people. Even found several Martial Arts schools the 1st Special Forces Group has contracts with to train them, etc. ****, I can find joint school information for Navy SEALs to contact Ft. Bragg to send Navy SEALs into the 18D and 18C schools, and the criteria for them to do it.

But I can barely find any information of any friggen kind for an Army Plumber or Army Electrician.

There is no much information out there for the US Military on jobs that **** bad guys and schools they can go too, to get better at killing the bad guys, or leading men to **** bad guys, but there isn't jack out there about how the Army lays pipe.

That is why I'm even on here.

As I found posted on a "Yahoo Answers"
                        "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over"

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
                          But I can barely find any information of any friggen kind for an Army Plumber or Army Electrician.

There is no much information out there for the US Military on jobs that **** bad guys and schools they can go too, to get better at killing the bad guys, or leading men to **** bad guys, but there isn't jack out there about how the Army lays pipe.

That is why I'm even on here.

As I found posted on a "Yahoo Answers"
                          Thats because the MOS' you are interested in helps **** the bad guys by supplying the combat units with plumbing, electric, etc on FOBS and bases. They are very important jobs and like many mos' they don't get much credit like they should

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. I find his in-depth questions disturbing especially in asking about our standards. Anyway the mods know where he is plugging in from so I feel safe.

Comment

With your knowledge, you should be a contractor.

Comment

Working...
                              X