X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Finder

I know Nationalguard.com already has a unit finder but the abbreviations used for the actual units mean next to nothing for someone with no prior service. Further more once you know what the string of abbreviations means you may not know all what jobs are available through that unit. I know the simple answer is to tell everyone to just talk to a recruiter but I feel a lot of people like to do the research on their own first. The Air National Guard has a good unit finder on the goang.com website; http://www.goang.com/Careers?tab=3#tabLoaded3 and something similar to this I think could be very help on this website as well.

Re: Unit Finder

To be fair, the people who are most up to date on what jobs are available are the recruiters. While I understand people want to research on their own, they also come here with a ton of specific questions...many of which, only their local recruiter can answer.
    Last edited by SteveLord; October 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

My point was more that when I was decided between the two branches had it not been for my family history with the Army the feature alone would have probably been enough to get me to contact an Air National Guard recruiter instead because I had a lot better idea of what was available in the area. Its just my two cents on how I think the website could improve.

Comment

You really need to work with your recruiter. You've already experienced a situation in which your lack of background in military matters has caused some confusion. A data dump of uninterpreted information will only make your situation worse. Knowing the units and their authorized manning rosters is quite misleading. Do they have any vacancies? Do they have any pending vacancies? In the MOS I want? In the MOS for which I'm qualified? Is that unit pending a force structure change? Does another unit have a similar job with a bonus attached? These and other considerations make your recruiter critical.

Before you look at units and MOS, you need to determine what is most important to you and prioritize. That way, if you must make a sacrifice, you've already determined your evaluation criteria. For many people, the shortest AIT is most important, so they can fit it into their college plans, and are willing to take any MOS that works with their schedule. Some desperately want a particular MOS, and will gladly drive four hours to drill to get it. Until you figure out what you want, you don't have the basis for making these decisions.

Comment

Working...
        X