X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Moderators please read

What do you guys think about restricting some access to this site? I'll give an example, such as on realpolice.net in the "ask an officer" section of the forum only qualified and verified Law Enforcement Officers can answer the OP's questions. I think this site can benefit from that since potential recruits come here for advice and can be easily misguided by listening to nonsense (which we are all guilty of at some point even myself). Some sections should be limited to people who can verify with AKO username, this will increase information accuracy.

You could even go as far as giving peole access to areas they are qualified to talk about, it would really cut down on the BS and you guys wouldn't have to yell at me as much for beating up on the clueless.

Re: All Moderators please read

IMO, if this website serves to recruit individuals into the National Guard then only qualified recruiters should respond to questions. I am not a 79T so that keeps me shut out. Anyway, my ego is not the same as it was when I was in my 20s so I do not need to be listed in a special category.

I think this website serves as a learning environment as well. If you are not trolling and simply try to provide sincere responses based on your experience, the regs that you are aware of (which may be outdated) and how things are done in your neck of the woods; then I think this place is a true learning environment for all.

There are forums that I go to within the Army community to interact with my peers but a public forum such as this one should be free for all to communicate and collaborate.

I think I know where Paralegal is coming from. It will prevent heated discussions and conflict of information or possibly personal "embarrassment" because someone trumps your response with a valid one (that is where my ego comment came from). The forum improves its credibility by the accuracy of its information. But from the expertise and contributions I have seen from everyone on this website; this is truly a great forum that possesses a grand pool of information. Better than what my knowledge manager can provide for us on our Sharepoint.

Just are so my thoughts. I just think if it is allowed; doors will be shut on some and feelings will be hurt

Comment

We had discussed something along those lines with the new Admin some months ago. The thought was that we would have a verification process, by which a user could have a special Avatar identifying them as a recruiter, or some other formal status. Presumably this would lend more credence to their posts than to those who get their information on the military from movies and video games. I don't know what the Admin thinks now, we haven't discussed the topic for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        What do you guys think about restricting some access to this site? I'll give an example, such as on realpolice.net in the "ask an officer" section of the forum only qualified and verified Law Enforcement Officers can answer the OP's questions. I think this site can benefit from that since potential recruits come here for advice and can be easily misguided by listening to nonsense (which we are all guilty of at some point even myself). Some sections should be limited to people who can verify with AKO username, this will increase information accuracy.

You could even go as far as giving peole access to areas they are qualified to talk about, it would really cut down on the BS and you guys wouldn't have to yell at me as much for beating up on the clueless.
        That is something the admins have complete control over, not us. As LTC Ritchie has mentioned, it has been brought up before. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen.

Something we can handle though, is getting rid of troublemakers that inhabit the forums. If you cannot conduct yourself appropriately regardless of what others post, you are free to not post at all, go elsewhere or try your luck with the content of your posts.

Since you've no problem making your arrogance public here, I've no problem letting it be known to all that you are on thin ice. If you want to be some kind of certified or authenticated professional, start acting like one first.
        Last edited by SteveLord; July 9th, 2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          We had discussed something along those lines with the new Admin some months ago. The thought was that we would have a verification process, by which a user could have a special Avatar identifying them as a recruiter, or some other formal status. Presumably this would lend more credence to their posts than to those who get their information on the military from movies and video games. I don't know what the Admin thinks now, we haven't discussed the topic for awhile.
          Excellent choice of words. Because a "qualified" individual does not necessarily mean that you will be provided accurate or proper information. There are sub-performers in every field and sometimes even a decent vetting process cannot uncover those types. Has anyone ever witnessed two individuals that work in the same field provide different information on a topic?

Anyway, it is supposed to be a beautiful day today and I hope I can get some swim time in. I hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Comment

To be honest, it's something we're still looking into on the back end. There's certain issues that need to be addressed (how we verify, what forums, if any, they will have moderator powers to, etc.) Sadly, I'm just the mouthpiece and gatekeeper, and not the tech guru, so I won't be able to provide a detailed answer on this. I will, however, bug the tech guru to find out where we are in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Moore View Post
              To be honest, it's something we're still looking into on the back end. There's certain issues that need to be addressed (how we verify, what forums, if any, they will have moderator powers to, etc.) Sadly, I'm just the mouthpiece and gatekeeper, and not the tech guru, so I won't be able to provide a detailed answer on this. I will, however, bug the tech guru to find out where we are in this.
              The vast majority of these issues could be taken care of with a decenet and mandatory introductions section. There are a lot of sites that have a verification process but that doesn't mean they always have correct information.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                That is something the admins have complete control over, not us. As LTC Ritchie has mentioned, it has been brought up before. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen.

Something we can handle though, is getting rid of troublemakers that inhabit the forums. If you cannot conduct yourself appropriately regardless of what others post, you are free to not post at all, go elsewhere or try your luck with the content of your posts.

Since you've no problem making your arrogance public here, I've no problem letting it be known to all that you are on thin ice. If you want to be some kind of certified or authenticated professional, start acting like one first.
                You have got to be kidding me. I help and answer alot of posts publically and through PM. Just because I don't give the answers that people want to hear is hardly a reason to accuse someone of being an "inhabitant". What is unfortunate is certain individuals who continue to advise on these boards and 90% of the time have no clue what they are talking about and just because they say please and thank you they are not seen as a problem. I know everyones momma told them they can be whatever they want to be, however we all know that it is not true in the real world. If people want to be consoled maybe the military life is not for them anyhow.

If I have offended you personally I apologize, but I am not going anywhere
                Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; July 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  You have got to be kidding me. I help and answer alot of posts publically and through PM. Just because I don't give the answers that people want to hear is hardly a reason to accuse someone of being an "inhabitant". What is unfortunate is certain individuals who continue to advise on these boards and 90% of the time have no clue what they are talking about and just because they say please and thank you they are not seen as a problem. I know everyones momma told them they can be whatever they want to be, however we all know that it is not true in the real world. If people want to be consoled maybe the military life is not for them anyhow.

If I have offended you personally I apologize, but I am not going anywhere
                  The issue isn't you as a resource of knowledge. It's how you conduct yourself. You can tell someone "what they don't want to hear" without insulting or belittling them or anyone else involved in the thread. If someone gives incorrect or inaccurate information, you are more than willing to correct them...respectfully.

It's really that simple.

Comment

To be quite frank, I don't understand the issue here. If you're looking for us to restrict the ability to answer questions to certain individuals, then the answer is no (it would make a mess of more forums than it would help). If you're talking about setting up controls as to who gets in, to avoid people who may give bad advice, then the only thing I can tell you is that at the registration point, all I can do is control SOME Spam adresses, as they haven't answered questions incorrectly at that point, so again the answer is no.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

This has been here long enough. Responses given. Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
                      X