Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Punish Overweight Troops?

Ugh. Chaplain, you're losing points.

A commo guy that is color blind? Cool...
    "Cut the blue wire and we lose ALL communication!"
    "uh...."

Comment

All right make fun of me now, I'm cool with it. 5 years from now, you'll be like, that Chaplain guy was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        Females are about to become Infantrymen, so why not? You guys don't watch the news do you.
        Wouldn't it become 'Infantrypersons' after that?...

Comment

O M G Infantry-persons.... oh look at the little infantrypeople on the battlefield, lets bring in the cavalry-people on thier pretty ponies to cut off the flank in a classic pincer movement...

Yes, Chaplainator, I watch and read the news... When I wake up it IS news... when I go to sleep you only see re-runs and info-mercials for "Flirty-Girl Fitness"....

the future Infantrygirl has quite a few obstacles to cross, yet you will see more combat-related jobs open up to females... Heck, the dutch have had infantrygirl units for decades... of course they all looked like ARNOLD (no lie) big and muscley and mean steely eyed stares and...... oh I better stop before someone tries to "tape" them....

hmmmm... what will it be like in the future... 5 years from now.... and where will that pesky chaplainator be... hmmmm
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; February 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

lol you are the news. hooah.

I think it's closer than you think.

You said ponies lol......
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
              O M G Infantry-persons.... oh look at the little infantrypeople on the battlefield, lets bring in the cavalry-people on thier pretty ponies to cut off the flank in a classic pincer movement...

Yes, Chaplainator, I watch and read the news... When I wake up it IS news... when I go to sleep you only see re-runs....

the future Infantrygirl has quite a few obstacles to cross, yet you will see more combat-related jobs open up to females... Heck, the dutch have had infantrygirl units for decades... of course they all looked like ARNOLD (no lie) big and muscley and mean steely eyed stares and...... oh I better stop before someone tries to "tape" them....
              I was trying to be P.C.....lol Technically, wouldn't it be Infantrywomen (not infantry-GIRL?)....I am sensing a little sarcasm and feeling a little patronized... (just kidding - don't get me started on this subject....I personally don't agree.

But to be fair, the IDF has got some pretty bad - a** women soldiers, on the front lines.

Comment

Hmmmmm... well I did watch an old movie the other night, and it was BatMAN and BatGIRL - so that must have been the overriding psychological underpinning to my subconscious in conflict between my yin and yang whilst (yeah its a British term, I speak a bit of that language from watching too much BBC) after dealing with the war in my thermos between the English and Irish breakfast teas I accidentally mixed together which ended in detante.... (of course my coffee can only be from Latin America, must be arabica, and I tend to hold steady to that) Sarasm? Quite Patronizing? No, I am sure that was not the case as that word has too many syllables, and Infantrymen prefer to speak in no more than one syllable words, grunts or noises at any given time... But, I digress.

I think this hieght/wieght thread may have run its course, and in a attempt to get the last word in, before the Chaplain posts something about "someone" leading the way, I would not call adhering to standards as , pun-ishment at all - all signed on the line, all accepted the standards and consequences when they rose thier right hand - yet I also understand why many would view it as such since many never were held to standards over such a long period it has now caused a major shock as a consequence...
                Last edited by LRSU_Dog; February 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM.

Comment

The term you are looking for is Soldier, not infantrychick or whatever. All members are Soldiers. Get back on topic about Fatty getting his feelings hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                    Stevelord yes airlines should charge a "little extra" not two tickets.
                    No, it should be 2 seats at full price each. 1 of which would normally be occupied by someone else paying FULL price for it. If I have to pay full price for my kids at 2 years 1 day and older....fat people do too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                      No, it should be 2 seats at full price each. 1 of which would normally be occupied by someone else paying FULL price for it. If I have to pay full price for my kids at 2 years 1 day and older....fat people do too.
                      Hopefully your flying "jet blue" cause that can get expensive with little ones paying full price ....Then you would have to define what is fat? Military standards vs civilian standards? Pear shaped vs. bowling ball??? It would cause riots amoung the phat azzes. They are the "majority".....I say let them eat cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                        The term you are looking for is Soldier, not infantrychick or whatever. All members are Soldiers. Get back on topic about Fatty getting his feelings hurt.
                        OK, OK....all suggested names were meant in jest, no disrespect was intended.

Although… all 'members' are Soldiers, but aren't the MOS' designated with a number, letter and title...it is not 'Soldier 11b' it is '11B Infantryman' and thus the suggested name variations….which could essentially just become ‘Infantry’.

But back on the actual topic.....all I can say is that when I was finally able to pursue my military career, I did so with dedicated preparation, which included dropping 40 lbs last year and working my bum off to do it. Now, I understand that a lot of individuals are genetically predisposed to obesity and, as previously mentioned; perhaps this career path is not for them.

I am not implying that a heavier individual could not perform many tasks, but I always thought that as a soldier, fitness and agility were not only a requirement but a necessity?

But if morbidly obese individuals can go on television shows and are willing to put in the time and effort to lose it for fortune and fame, the why not for their military career? If they’re not able to? No discrimination meant, but perhaps they should look into an alternative field as means of supporting their country.

I see this as not a matter of discrimination; it is a matter of safety. If someone else’s life or my own depends on being fit and agile and being able to move quickly….then I completely support having strict physical standards and not only feel that they should be upheld, but enforced, even if that means discharging otherwise suitable minds.

I consider physical fitness as a soldier not only a matter of pride but a possible matter of life and death (not to be too mellow dramatic). I may not actually be able to outrun a bullet, but I sure I want to be able to try if I need to!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          could happen. Yep.
                          I guess in that case in the future I will be able to sue my way to a long tab! Oh wait that has happened before...........

Height/weight standards are standards. If you are not fit to serve then you can't serve! Being fat is a choice! Unlike other moral debates over race or sexual preference, a person has complete control over how much or how little they weigh. If they can't conform to Army regulations then too bad too sad! GTFO!

LRSU did mention that there are programs set in place that give soldiers plenty of opportunity to get into shape. In fact, as long as a soldier is showing consistent improvement most Commanders will retain that soldier instead of kicking them out. Their commander has the ability to give extensions, and I agree with this course of action whole heartedly. I don't want to kick out a soldier if he/she is showing improvement every drill, but if they just don't give a rats arse then GTFO.

Comment

[ If they can't conform to Army regulations then too bad too sad! GTFO!

Amen brother! So many don't try and just buying time. I get sick and tired of hearing he/she is an awesome techinican, mechanic, or clerk. Really??? That is 1/2 of the job responsibility. What about personal appearence, marksmanship, physical fitness, and being combat ready?

I'm sure you'll hear folks that will say look at policeman....well hump a alice pack 10-20 miles and engage the enemy.....just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me

I really think you should get used to seeing soldiers in XXXL's ACUs. The sooner people get over bigotry, the sooner we can have a safer nation.

This is a national security issuse, kicking people out because of their size makes our military weaker and our country less safe.

Wow.

There are measureable standards which the Army holds soldiers to. Ht/Wt, APFT, weapons quals. All tangibles that measure one soldier against his peers, and the standards themselves. It's almost Darwinian, but that's the nature of OUR business.

The intangibles are those that affect mission readiness.

Say a soldier is on a combat support mission - pick the MOS: MP/Cook/Mechanic/Signal/Driver. One soldier in a truck is 5'10", about 260. Convoy gets hit, his truck's gunner goes down with a wound. TC tells our guy to get in the turret - he can't. Too big. Combat ineffective.

Truck behind his truck gets hit. Our guy is on the aid and litter team. Truck is laying on it's side - only access is through the gunner's hatch. Can't get in. Combat ineffective.

The truck he is riding in is an ASV. He can't drive. He can't TC. He can't gun. He has to sit in the VIP seat and hand up ammo to the gunner. IF he can get to it. Combat ineffective?

Same convoy is hit 2 clicks from a COB in Afghanistan. 8,000 feet elevation. Narrow passage, lead truck disabled. TOC indicates major weather system heading in, air will be "Red" in an hour. No evac coming, air or ground. Hump to the COB or you'll be stranded for upwards of 5 days. Our guy can't hump with his element because he's too big. Has to stop every 50 yards. Combat ineffective.

Those of us in the military are drawn to this way of life because IT'S HARD. If it was easy, everyone could get in. We have to raise our standards because lives depend on it. We never have, and should never be, an all-inclusive "society". If you don't pack the gear, you gotta go. Why should we settle for less??

If less than 1% of our population serve in the military at any given time, shouldn't our standards be higher than that of the general population? Just because obesity is raising to all-time highs in the civilian sector, it shouldn't mean the military's percentage should go up with it. High tide shouldn't float ALL boats.

I don't care what your status, situation, outside drama levels, etc. are - if you are a mission distractor or combat ineffective, you don't ride on the mission. Outside pressures and public opinion have little bearing on my making my convoy manifest. You're either G2G or you're not.

This is a national security issue: keeping people in the military despite the fact they can't run/shoot/hump/do work makes our military weaker and our country less safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                                "Unlike other moral debates over race or preference, a person has complete control over how

much or how little they weigh. If they can't conform to Army regulations then too bad too sad! GTFO!"

Ah, you fail to see the complexities of being over weight. If it were only as simple as being in complete control. Obviously you think a
                                person does not have control over their orientation. Therefore why do you think there's any difference between that and a heavy person?
                                There is greater evidence supporting the fact people do not nessacarily have complete control over thier weight. Especially when you consider
                                econimic status, ethnicity, cultural stigma, family situations, and abilities to select healthy foods and live a healthy life.
                                These are outside pressures that effect people's decisions. There is no differnce in the case for choosing one's preference and being over wieght.

I really think you should get used to seeing soldiers in XXXL's ACUs. The sooner people get over bigotry, the sooner we can have a safer nation.

This is a national security issuse, kicking people out because of their size makes our military weaker and our country less safe.
                                Oh great now I'm being roped into the bigot category.

People that have a legitimate genetic weight disorder are a very very small percentage of the over weight community. Chances are those small numbers of individuals also have a slew of health issues, which would further disqualify the individual from military service.

Being fat is most certainly a personal choice. Even when taking in account ethnicity, cultural influences, financial situation, AND availability of healthy foods. Even at my poorest where I was living off of penut butter sandwiches and romen noodles I was still maintaining a 330 APFT score and a body fat index of 8%. How? I dedicated time to exercise! It's as simple as that. There are no exceptable excuses with the exception of injury. If a person is legitimately injured and it prevents them from exercise then that is one thing, but they still control how much they eat! Or I suppose it is the spoons that are making people fat. We should ban spoons.

Comment

Working...
                                X