X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran's Day

I was just told that I'm not a 'real' soldier because I'm part of the Reserves as compared by an AD Soldier. This is disappointing to me, especially on today of all days where all service-members should be cherished and appreciated. Regardless, I just wanted to make this post to wish everyone a happy Veteran's Day because we are ALL REAL SOLDIERS under the same flag. Hooah?

Re: Veteran's Day

You ARE a real soldier and earned that title when you completed BCT. Now if that person is being a mean person because they know reservists/guardsmen who never served on AD besides IET/AT training and by the law's definition is not considered a veteran. So what? You wear the uniform and there is legislation that might change that.

Happy Veteran's Day to you.

Comment

Man, that's some BS. I remember when I first switched over to the Guard from the Reserve, my section chief and I were scouting out places to have our Christmas party, and one of the places we were considering was the local American Legion. He walked in in uniform (it was right after drill), and a few of the saucy old drunks at the bar made cracks about "weekend warriors" and implying that we "drop our rifles once a month" and stuff like that. So none of our people ever went there again.

LoneStarSoldier, I see you're 20. Don't sweat it. I was in for 9 years and I deployed overseas for 9 months, which qualifies me as a veteran in the eyes of the VA. No doubt you'll deploy at some point as well, and all that will change. And fmcityslicker is right. So what? You wear the uniform, you've done the training, and you are a fully qualified member of the US Army. You're a vet. If anything, you're MORE qualified because you have to exist in a fully civilian world as well.

Comment

I am currently in Basic Training at FLW (my first day on post was actually Veterans Day) and the comments that the Drill Sergeants and the First Sergeant make about Reserve/Guard soldiers is very dis heartening especially when you consider we make up about 80% (60% Guard) of the company. I mean we all wrote the same blank check of up to and including our death for our country it doesn't make a difference what component you are in. And on a final side note there are 548000 active and 609000 reserve (Guard and Reserve) and the National Guard is 140 years older than the Active Army that being said you know your better and they are just jealous when they are hating like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
          I am currently in Basic Training at FLW (my first day on post was actually Veterans Day) and the comments that the Drill Sergeants and the First Sergeant make about Reserve/Guard soldiers is very dis heartening especially when you consider we make up about 80% (60% Guard) of the company. I mean we all wrote the same blank check of up to and including our death for our country it doesn't make a difference what component you are in. And on a final side note there are 548000 active and 609000 reserve (Guard and Reserve) and the National Guard is 140 years older than the Active Army that being said you know your better and they are just jealous when they are hating like that.
          The DS always pick on the Reserve and Nasty Girls. Part of their job duties somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X