X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan deployment

As much as I love the infantry, I'm sick and tired of seeing my friends getting hurt and killed, and I'm debating switching my MOS from 11b to something(ANYTHING) else.

This tour has really screwed with my head. Last year I spent 9 months in the mountains of Eastern Afghanistan and saw plenty of action. This year I'm in basically the same AO, been here for half the time, and have seen less "action", yet we've probably had 10 times the amount of casualties. I'm on leave now and I can't get my wife to understand why even after all this, I can't wait to get back to my squad. I thought at first that we were making a difference and were helping the people, but I don't really care either way. Not anymore. Not at this cost.

Is switching my MOS going to change how I feel about losing my friends? Would that be an insult to their memory? Does that make me a coward for even thinking of switching? Just a few of the questions I'm constantly asking myself. Sorry I'm ranting, just had to get that off my chest.

For those of you who have read my other posts; you know how hard it was for me to get into the guard and I will always be proud that I did. I'd never change anything about that. Maybe it's just the realities of war that I was unable to see as a civilian that's hitting home, but ****, a nice desk and air conditioning sounds a helluva lot better than a rucksack and a rifle right now...

Re: Afghanistan deployment

Serving honorably in some capacity deserves respect. If you've already served two combat tours as an Infantryman, switching MOS at this point isn't cowardly. A coward wouldn't have joined, and certainly wouldn't have shown up for the second tour.

I recommend that you focus on finishing what's on your plate right now, and not make any monumental decisions while you're on an emotional roller coaster. Do some research, ask some questions, but I don't recommend making any big career changes until you've been home for at least three months, if not longer. Don't interpret this as me telling you that switching MOS is wrong, because I respect any honorable service.

I also strongly recommend that you speak with your unit chaplain, because you may benefit from some personal "preventive maintenance." The feelings you have described are completely normal and common. I'm not recommending counseling because you're crazy, I'm recommending counseling so you don't later become crazy.

Comment

So what's the question?

Comment

OP, your feelings are normal because I felt that same after 20 years of service during fighting in Iraq seven years ago. It is good to vent your emotions; even if its at a military forum. I will heed the advice of the LTC and answer truthfully on your post-deployment health assessment upon re-deployment. Your emotions and any PTSD needs to be documented.

Comment

I have no problems talking about the things I've done and seen and I've spoken often with my chaplain (when he makes it out to my COP) and we both feel I'm doing fine. I also have no illusions about "suffering" from some form of PTSD however I'm sure it's very mild. I just wanted to vent. There's plenty more I would like to say but due to Opsec I can't.

I volunteered for this deployment for multiple reasons with the main one being that a few close friends, who I served with on my last tour, were going and there was no way I was going to let them go without as many people watching their backs as possible.

I want to say again "I LOVE THE INFANTRY!" It wasn't my first choice as an MOS (I actually wanted to be an MP) but luckily I ended up right where I belong. That being said, I think a change might be in order. I'll be 36 in a few days and the infantry isn't the easiest thing for someone who neglected his body for years before joining. Also, the emotional roller coaster s ucks. The "highs" are great but the "lows" are almost unbearable.

Sir, thank you for the advice and support...

Teuvil, I didn't really have any besides rhetorical ones...and didn't think I needed one anyway...

fmcityslicker, I thought this would be a good place to vent since, being a miltary forum, some of the people on here might be able to empathize where my civilian friends and family couldn't.

I've been reading posts and posting myself on here for a couple years now and have always read and received, for the most part, positive responses. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between, which is one reason why, if and when I have a military problem or concern, I'll come here for answers.

Comment

Just making sure I didn't miss anything. Of course you can use this forum at your disposal but cityslicker is correct, you need to document it. Trust me....it's a pain int he *** when it's later.

Comment

Soldier you need to talk to your brothers, I am sure they are all feeling the same. Heed the advice and go talk to the chaplain. I did. You need to vent to someone that is in front of you that can hear your voice in person.

Originally posted by jasonmiller1975 View Post
              I have no problems talking about the things I've done and seen and I've spoken often with my chaplain (when he makes it out to my COP) and we both feel I'm doing fine. I also have no illusions about "suffering" from some form of PTSD however I'm sure it's very mild. I just wanted to vent. There's plenty more I would like to say but due to Opsec I can't.

I volunteered for this deployment for multiple reasons with the main one being that a few close friends, who I served with on my last tour, were going and there was no way I was going to let them go without as many people watching their backs as possible.

I want to say again "I LOVE THE INFANTRY!" It wasn't my first choice as an MOS (I actually wanted to be an MP) but luckily I ended up right where I belong. That being said, I think a change might be in order. I'll be 36 in a few days and the infantry isn't the easiest thing for someone who neglected his body for years before joining. Also, the emotional roller coaster s ucks. The "highs" are great but the "lows" are almost unbearable.

Sir, thank you for the advice and support...

Teuvil, I didn't really have any besides rhetorical ones...and didn't think I needed one anyway...

fmcityslicker, I thought this would be a good place to vent since, being a miltary forum, some of the people on here might be able to empathize where my civilian friends and family couldn't.

I've been reading posts and posting myself on here for a couple years now and have always read and received, for the most part, positive responses. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between, which is one reason why, if and when I have a military problem or concern, I'll come here for answers.

Comment

Working...
              X