X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guard Is What You Make It

It's been a while since I've visited this forum. I wanted to share with you something I've learned during my time in the Guard. It really is what you make it.

Currently I'm serving in Afghanistan. I'm in a signal MOS that most of the time would have me being a Fobbit on some large base where I get all the luxuries that you hear of from Fobbits. Good meals, AC, internet, activities, going to the gym, a nice PX, etc. As nice as it sounds, when I wanted to deploy I wanted to see the real deal of war. Now no offense to Fobbits, you have a role in war too, but I wanted to get out and see some action, live it rough, and come home with stories you only read about in books or see on the big screen. To tell myself that I've seen the real war that Fobbits only hear about.

Since I've been in Afghanistan, I'm currently in a different unit doing just what I wanted. Due to OPSEC I can't give out too many details, but I will say that I am living it rough in the middle of the mountains on a remote base that most soldiers never have heard of. I'm so close to the Pakistan border, I could break wind and they'll smell it. We don't have showers, the crappy food is cooked by an angry Army cook who doesn't like his job, we get incoming at least twice a week, and I've been in enough firefights to talk about for hours. I'm not even doing my MOS, I'm doing a different signal MOS! Heck, there's even no semblance of a PX here. You have to bargain with the locals to get the stuff you want/need. And if we get mail from home at least twice a month...we consider ourselves blessed.

How did I make it to this state? I did it myself. I made the choices that suited me and the Guard, and it got me exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking for credit or to come home a "hero" by any means. Nor do I think I'm better than anyone. Just better than my former self. But I am getting that experience I wanted and it has also taught me that your experience in the Guard is what you make of it. So before you join the Guard, or if you're not liking being in the Guard...ask yourself first what you want out of the Guard and how to go about getting it. While you work for the Guard, let the Guard also work for you. It's a win-win for me.

Re: The Guard Is What You Make It

Originally posted by Mom's Mistake View Post
    It's been a while since I've visited this forum. I wanted to share with you something I've learned during my time in the Guard. It really is what you make it.

Currently I'm serving in Afghanistan. I'm in a signal MOS that most of the time would have me being a Fobbit on some large base where I get all the luxuries that you hear of from Fobbits. Good meals, AC, internet, activities, going to the gym, a nice PX, etc. As nice as it sounds, when I wanted to deploy I wanted to see the real deal of war. Now no offense to Fobbits, you have a role in war too, but I wanted to get out and see some action, live it rough, and come home with stories you only read about in books or see on the big screen. To tell myself that I've seen the real war that Fobbits only hear about.

Since I've been in Afghanistan, I'm currently in a different unit doing just what I wanted. Due to OPSEC I can't give out too many details, but I will say that I am living it rough in the middle of the mountains on a remote base that most soldiers never have heard of. I'm so close to the Pakistan border, I could break wind and they'll smell it. We don't have showers, the crappy food is cooked by an angry Army cook who doesn't like his job, we get incoming at least twice a week, and I've been in enough firefights to talk about for hours. I'm not even doing my MOS, I'm doing a different signal MOS! Heck, there's even no semblance of a PX here. You have to bargain with the locals to get the stuff you want/need. And if we get mail from home at least twice a month...we consider ourselves blessed.

How did I make it to this state? I did it myself. I made the choices that suited me and the Guard, and it got me exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking for credit or to come home a "hero" by any means. Nor do I think I'm better than anyone. Just better than my former self. But I am getting that experience I wanted and it has also taught me that your experience in the Guard is what you make of it. So before you join the Guard, or if you're not liking being in the Guard...ask yourself first what you want out of the Guard and how to go about getting it. While you work for the Guard, let the Guard also work for you. It's a win-win for me.
    I sense a book being written at some point here

Comment

I love this post!! Its the down and dirty of one side of a soldiers view. Seeing every point of view and how they all come together in the fight to be a force is just a incredible, with the power it represents. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You made me log in to reply. so closs to the border you could break win and they'll smell it. I laughed at work hahaha thanks man. Also logged in to say thanks for the share brother

Comment

Very awesome.

EXCELLENT title for this thread. It's really what you make of it. If all you do is complain and then maybe pursue it for a couple days lightly with a disrespectful attitude, you will get nowhere.

Comment

Working...
          X