X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP and BCT Blog

I'm certainly not the first soldier to write about their experiences in joining the Army [National Guard] but if you want to see what my journey has looked like check out my blog at: http://txcitizensoldier.blogspot.com/

I just finished my last RSP this weekend and I'll be shipping to Ft. Jackson in a few weeks for BCT. My wife will be posting my letters while I'm gone so there will be updates throughout my training.

It's my intention to continue writing throughout OCS and any interesting schools I go to (I'll jump at any chance I get to go through Airborne School, Ranger School, and anything else I can volunteer for). Hope the insights help you out.

Re: RSP and BCT Blog

I'm on my way to Fort Jackson! Look for updates on my blog in the next week or so.

Comment

The blog is still alive and kicking. I've posted all the way through RSP, BCT, and now Phase 0 of OCS. Phase I starts next month in Salina, KS and I'm ready to get to it. If you're thinking about joining as an 09S make sure you read all the things I've learned along the way that my recruiter failed to mention.

Comment

Good luck in Kansas! Let me know if you've got any questions about the Texas OCS program as you're going through it, I graduted last August with Class 54.

Comment

Or, if you like, PM me about coming over to Grad School, getting your Master's Degree and still getting a commission via ROTC...

Take that LT Nelson!!

Comment

Sirs,

Thank you for being willing to help. I looked into the possibility of ROTC but right now I think OCS is the best option for me and my family.

2LT Nelson, I believe we met in December at HHC, you and the other 2LT's were waiting on BOLC- hope that went well. Out of the 6 of us 09S, 2 made it into Phase I. I've looked online and haven't seen much about Phase I in Kansas. The only two reports I've gotten were that it was either extremely difficult- sleep deprivation, endless smoke sessions, etc... or that it was easy compared to what Phase 0 is like in TX (Thank you, SFC Loc*****). The latter being more of a 2nd hand rumor. What should we expect and how should we prepare? I plan on doing ruck marches to get my feet ready, I'm good on land nav, and I'm in good shape- but obviously those areas could always be improved. There were rumors of riding Blackhawks to the land nav course? Any truth to that? Mentally it just seems easier to tackle if you know what's coming I guess.

Comment

I was already in BOLC in December, but there were 2 other 2LTs who left for BOLC in January.

Phase I isn't that bad. My OCS Phase 0 they treated us ok (they changed that after us, because we ended up with alot of idiots), so I can't really compare Phase I to Phase 0 and it be useful to you. The land nav is a ton easier at Kansas, though, than at Swift.

The first week is all classroom stuff. Mostly map reading, and land nav prep, and TAC breaks (smoke sessions) every hour or so. There's a 5 mile ruck march during that week as well.

The second week is all in the field for land nav. We did ride Blackhawks out to the land nav site. You don't get smoked as much once you get out there, but the pressure is still turned up. As I said, the land nav course at Salina is a piece of cake. The terrain is a little more hilly than you'd expect from Kansas, but it's not bad. Nowhere near the vegetation that Swift has, either. You'll get to do a bunch of practice before actually doing your graded land nav, as well.

I'll see if I still have my schedule for Phase I, and I can give you a better idea of what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtex View Post
                Sirs,
                Word to the wise: Try "Gentlemen." It's a lot less awkward, and just as acceptable as a greeting for Officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                  Word to the wise: Try "Gentlemen." It's a lot less awkward, and just as acceptable as a greeting for Officers.
                  Not to mention that "Sirs" will get you smoked at Phase I!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    Got it. Thanks, gentlemen.

Comment

OCS Phase I complete! For the breakdown on what happened as well as some photos from public affairs, check out: http://txcitizensoldier.blogspot.com...-i-kansas.html

Comment

I've enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                          I've enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks for posting.
                          You bet! It is my goal to provide a firsthand look at what the process really looks like- not the lines the recruiters put out. I hope to that end soldiers and future soldiers find it helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X