Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your reason for joining

Hello, I am a 91B in the Army NG.

Why did you join??

I joined because I felt it the right thing to do. When my cousin (Corpsman) was serving in Iraq I would always email him telling him I wanted to be in the military. I debated doing it for a long time, then I saw a picture of a war vet hugging a marine. That made up my mind. I joined because of integrity and to give back to those who fought for our great nation before me. I would explain to you that I felt God led me into it, but you might not understand that.

Re: Your reason for joining

I joined the United States Army because it is a well oiled, fighting machine that never sleeps. The continuous training and education enlightened me the most. I joined because soldiers were soldiers and it was where the elite were separated from the weak. I joined to avoid the constant headache of babysitting adults in the civilian life and holding their hand when giving them a task to complete. I became weary of employees missing their scheduled work days and appointments. The Chain of Command in the civilian world is almost non-existent as everyone always tends to look after their own needs.

Comment

good reasons! thanks for the reply!

Comment

I joined the Army at 17 years old for the education benefits. Plain and simple. I figured I would stay a private, get my degree and get out. Then I started actually going to drills and getting involved and I fell in love with the lifestyle. I love the people, I love the time I spend with the guys(and now girls) and Now I look at my life and wonder what I'm going to do when I get out.

Comment

**** I honestly came here to post the same question lol. I joined because I always wanted to be in the military and serve my country since I was a kid. Im in college now and I really love the college life but I still wanted to be of the army, so the National Guard was the best option for me. Like EOrsini said the military lifestyle is one that people fall in love with and I think its too early for me to say the same but hey you never know. The benefits are great but there just perks and shouldn't really be a main reason to join but hey its your choice. Another reason that I joined was to contribute to the benefit of the country especially since this country has done so much for my family when they came from the Dominican Republic I feel like I should return the favor. Kinda corny but hey im a walking cornball get used to it =].

Comment

Cheese & Veggie Omelette MRE's :-9
            Last edited by Chris36; April 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmontero11 View Post
              **** I honestly came here to post the same question lol. I joined because I always wanted to be in the military and serve my country since I was a kid. Im in college now and I really love the college life but I still wanted to be of the army, so the National Guard was the best option for me. Like EOrsini said the military lifestyle is one that people fall in love with and I think its too early for me to say the same but hey you never know. The benefits are great but there just perks and shouldn't really be a main reason to join but hey its your choice. Another reason that I joined was to contribute to the benefit of the country especially since this country has done so much for my family when they came from the Dominican Republic I feel like I should return the favor. Kinda corny but hey im a walking cornball get used to it =].
              You would be surprised how many people join for just the bennies. I'm not saying its right, but hey, the army needs bodies, and people need the money or tuition waiver or whatever. I joined for them too, though that doesn't mean that I didn't join for patrotism and honoring my country, but my biggest incentive was originally to pay for my college education. But you learn to love other things about it. I had no clue about anything in this army when I first joined, all I knew was what the recruiter said and that was school lol. However now, I love this army for everything in it, even the times where I want to bash my head against a wall because Soldiers drive us crazy. I'm still using the education bennies though, because there will be life after the army

Comment

Cheese & Veggie Omelette MRE's :-9
                Winner. Haha

Nothing wrong with joining for the benefits. You're still willing to wear the uniform, which is much more than you can say about most people.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                  I joined the Army at 17 years old for the education benefits. Plain and simple. I figured I would stay a private, get my degree and get out. Then I started actually going to drills and getting involved and I fell in love with the lifestyle. I love the people, I love the time I spend with the guys(and now girls) and Now I look at my life and wonder what I'm going to do when I get out.
                  This pretty much sums up my story completely. It's amazing how much can change within the first six years of an enlistment. I had planned to get out all the way up until my last year of it.

Comment

I joined for an opportunity to serve my country while still following my parents' wishes of furthering my education.Also my 1st LT cousin told me about the Army ROTC/SMP program which sounded pretty awesome.I also joined cause ever since I was five being in the Army was all I ever wanted to do. Hooah!

Comment

Well, I was in a fairly successful rock band before I joined. but, I just had the urge to call the local recruiter and talk to him about it. I had always been interested in the military, just was never old enough to join. I was finally 17, and my parents were all for it, since it's what I wanted to do. It just felt like the right thing to do, and the right time to do it.
                      I want to serve my country, and I get filled with so much pride when I put on that uniform. And the benefits are amazing too. College paid for, and a pretty nice paycheck for someone in college? Heck yes.
                      And, we're part of the 1%.

Alex

Comment

I always loved the military. But during my junior year of high school I had a teacher who invited a recruiter and 2 other soldiers to talk to the class. I don't remember much of what they said, but I do remember walking out of that door when they were done and I made a promise to myself that no matter what, that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to be like them. That was about 7 years ago, and I finally joined a few months ago. It's been a long time coming, but I truly believe it has been the best decision of my life.

Comment

I also originally joined for the benefits, particularly the education benefits. There were other motivating factors such as patriotism and nationalism but finding a way to pay for college was a daunting task. I got really good grades and was pretty good at soccer but neither was going to pay for education the way the Army was. I was 17 when I joined. I figured I would be a good fit; I was young, in great physical shape thanks to soccer and gymnastics, I was smarter than the large majority of my peers and I was a team captain so I was already a leader of sorts. I originally just planned to stay in for my 6 years, get my degree and get out but I fell in love with the Army and the life style. Now I'm working full time for the NG on ADOS orders with my states counter drug program. My goal now is to try to stay with this program for the rest of my career and when I retire join a federal law enforcement agency such as DEA, ICE, CBP etc as the skills I'm learning in my ADOS job are a great asset to those agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            I also originally joined for the benefits, particularly the education benefits. There were other motivating factors such as patriotism and nationalism but finding a way to pay for college was a daunting task. I got really good grades and was pretty good at soccer but neither was going to pay for education the way the Army was. I was 17 when I joined. I figured I would be a good fit; I was young, in great physical shape thanks to soccer and gymnastics, I was smarter than the large majority of my peers and I was a team captain so I was already a leader of sorts. I originally just planned to stay in for my 6 years, get my degree and get out but I fell in love with the Army and the life style. Now I'm working full time for the NG on ADOS orders with my states counter drug program. My goal now is to try to stay with this program for the rest of my career and when I retire join a federal law enforcement agency such as DEA, ICE, CBP etc as the skills I'm learning in my ADOS job are a great asset to those agencies.
                            soo SGT Jugg, I'm looking for fulltime employment and I don't mind moving... Help? HAHAHA

Comment

I joined because I want to fight dragons with my sword...

Oh wait, wrong service. *facepalm*

Comment

Working...
                              X