X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your reason for joining

I've always been drawn to the military, and actually I count GI Joe as my introduction to the military (if you remember, each action figure had a file card that had their military grade--using actual military pay grades--as well as their primary and secondary MOS). When I was about 13 I read a story in Reader's Digest about Lt. John Connors, who was a Navy SEAL and was killed in the invasion of Panama. That was the first time it really hit me that our fighting (at that time) men could give their lives in service. Around the same time I was closely following the military build-up prior to the first Gulf War. I watched every news program and read every article I could find on the military.

When I was 16 I met my recruiter in my high school. We struck up a friendship and kept in touch for the next year or so. He gave me a brochure that pictured some soldiers rappelling down a cliff on the cover (I still have it). Inside was a picture of a Ranger with face camo, M16A2, and the old ALICE LBJ, crouching in some jungle grass. The instant I saw that I knew I would be enlisting. I wanted to be that guy.

I also knew at the time that going to college right after high school, like all my friends were, wasn't for me. I was the only person in my graduating class that joined the military (incidentally, I went to high school with John Faas, one of the Navy SEALS killed when the Chinook was shot down a couple of months ago...we didn't know each other well, but it's always weird when someone you knew in school is gone).

So on August 28, 1995 I raised my hand and swore an oath to protect and defend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmontero11 View Post
      **** I honestly came here to post the same question lol. I joined because I always wanted to be in the military and serve my country since I was a kid. Im in college now and I really love the college life but I still wanted to be of the army, so the National Guard was the best option for me. Like EOrsini said the military lifestyle is one that people fall in love with and I think its too early for me to say the same but hey you never know. The benefits are great but there just perks and shouldn't really be a main reason to join but hey its your choice. Another reason that I joined was to contribute to the benefit of the country especially since this country has done so much for my family when they came from the Dominican Republic I feel like I should return the favor. Kinda corny but hey im a walking cornball get used to it =].
      Rmontero, so are you enlisted? did the military prevented you from having your normal college life? im curious about the national guard since they state that it's a "part time job". so do you still stay with your normal lifestyle and really train part time with the guard? is this like a "on-call" duty? where you just live your normal life and if they need you, they just call you up and you go do your job for however long it takes(shouldnt take long right?); unless you get deployed which should be quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSoldier View Post
        Hello, I am a 91B in the Army NG.

Why did you join??

I joined because I felt it the right thing to do. When my cousin (Corpsman) was serving in Iraq I would always email him telling him I wanted to be in the military. I debated doing it for a long time, then I saw a picture of a war vet hugging a marine. That made up my mind. I joined because of integrity and to give back to those who fought for our great nation before me. I would explain to you that I felt God led me into it, but you might not understand that.
        I mostly joined for the free haircuts, but I learned in basic training that the haircuts aren't exactly free. Bummer.

Comment

I'm an egocentric monster. I am joining because I know I am awesome and my country deserves me... lol. Really I'm doing it for the self development and the experiences that so few of the American population will have. I want to be a part of a greater thing and feel fulfilled in my own life. I want the training to make me as hardcore as I am in my head.

Plus, I look good in uniform!

Comment

I kind of Always wanted to, ...had some Uncles that served, WWII Nam Korea, 'Ghan(early on 04 I think). Really I just got sick of sitting in front of my computer , reading about AL Quida leader saying this and Taliban leader saying that....one said" Americans, dont come to Afghaistan, you will die here your country is losing. The dogs of Afghanistan have tasted American blood, and they like it!' I said thats it, no one tells me what to do, Ill go wherever the **** I feel, 7 months or so later I was in Wardak...and Ya know what, those dogs loved us they hated the Afghnis...lol

Comment

How does enlisting get you beer? You serious? Go to the bar in ACU's, I do it all the time.

Order some Ranger Bat scrolls and a couple of tabs/badges, guaranteed free drinks and females all night. I look like freakin Audie Murphy every Saturday night. Sometimes I won't even wear any patches because I feel like being a high speed Delta operator that night.

ACUs to the grocery store = Free cold cuts

ACUs to the movie theatre = free tickets

ACUs to the mall = instant discounts

(Its a joke, relax)

All kidding aside- I've been out in uniform ( Navy at this point) and it is amazing what the public offers you and goes out of their way to pay for. It is testament to how much the public's attitude towards military service has changed. I could remember in the late 90's having arguments with people over their ignorance of military service and what uniformed members were enduring on the public's behalf why at home they were consumed with Hollyweird, MTV " the real world" etc.. Now- you have the same type of people going out of their way to shake your hand, buy you a drink, pay for your lunch and say " hey thanks for your service". I can't believe the difference. It's truly amazing to see how far the public has come. I have never seen so much appreciation for military service than I have in the last eleven years really- since 9-11. Even the most ardent liberals have paused in their rhetoric to say " we'll your service is well appreciated and we don't fault the soldier" .. Lol.. It's night and day. Every professional sport and every venue plays tribute to military service and these welcome home events they host are amazing.People have often criticized America for not having its own culture - not true and it's awesome to see that Americans finally recognize that a big part of our culture is the military who has molded the face of freedom and liberty this country stands for. it is an extension of the Founding Fathers concepts played out in modern times. Vry proud

Comment

I hate to revive an old thread, especially with such a long post....
                This is a "formal" letter I am in the process of writing for all my family and friends. I have not enlisted yet, but plan on doing so soon!

Why I chose the National Guard
                I understand that by me choosing this direction in my life, you may be shocked, concerned, and unsure of my motives. I wanted to take a few moments to outline the key reasons behind my decision.

1. First, and foremost, I want to serve my country. America is the greatest nation in the world and it takes an active military to protect our freedoms. The Guard is 383 years old and has a rich history of providing units trained and equipped to protect life and property to the states, while providing units trained, equipped and ready to defend the United States and its interests, all over the globe. While my MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) may not directly be related to combat, each job must be done to ensure the effective and efficient completion of our mission objectives. However, should the need arise, you should understand that there will be no hesitation on my part to raise arms and run headfirst into the battle. I will do whatever is necessary in order to honor the sacrifices of those before us, protect the lives and freedoms we enjoy now, and preserve the safety and futures of generations to come.

2. The Army has 7 core values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. I believe that I possess all of these, and try to live them out in my daily life. However, I know that I am not as strong as I could be in each of these values. I owe it to myself, my family, my friends, and everyone else I come in contact with, to ensure that these values are as “sharp” as possible.

3. The military, much like the fire service, has always been known for creating and fostering a strong camaraderie between its members. You start with a group of people you have never met before and are thrown into hell with them. Together you will laugh, cry, fail, succeed, learn, and grow. You will share a bond that few other people will ever be able to understand. You will become brothers and sisters in arms. You will become a team.

4. There are very few things guaranteed in this life. I will never be content with my life so long as I have the opportunity to change things for the better. I will not settle for “good enough”. I will continue to push myself harder, and strive to be the absolute best son, husband, friend, father and citizen that I can be.

5. While being a soldier comes first, I cannot ignore the immense career and educational opportunities the Guard offers. I have always been a curious person, and earnestly want to learn as much as I can. The National Guard provides me with the chance to delve into an entirely new career field which would open countless new doors for my future. However, I could also choose to follow my current career path as a firefighter which could potentially propel me significantly in the fire service. The Guard also provides educational assistance in the following forms:
                A. Montgomery GI Bill: $356/ month for books and supplies
                B. Federal Tuition Assistance: Up to 100% of college tuition
                C. Post 9/11 GI Bill: Up to 100% of college tuition. Transferable to children.
                D. Army National Guard Kicker Bill: $350/month for living expenses
                E. Specialized Training Assistance Program (STRAP): $2122 monthly stipend for medical training in certain specialties

6. By becoming a soldier in the National Guard, I will be able to provide a future for my children. I will not only gain the necessary training and skills to secure a well-paying civilian job, but I will also be a strong role model. By living the Army Values, I will be able to show my children an honorable way of living their lives. While this is not necessary to raise children, I believe it gives both my wife and I an advantage in the sometimes difficult task of raising children to be honest, hardworking citizens.

Comment

Some ask for my reasons, my reason is that my whole family, from my grandfather, father, uncle, brother, sister, cousin, mother, and even my girlfriend are/were in the guard.
                  My grandfather served in two wars, World War Two and Vietnam, my father serve before 9/11, my uncle served with him before 9/11, my brother, sister, mother, and girlfriend are currently serving.
                  My mother, sister, and girlfriend are nurses, my brother and I will be signing our contracts for the ROTC program within weeks. My family history is deep within my blood and the National Guard, and I plan on living my grandfather's legacy and making my family proud.

Comment

I joined for the free food, free dental work, the money and the women.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                      You have been deceived.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                        You have been deceived.
                        How about beer?

Comment

In that order??? Man you need help

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                            In that order??? Man you need help
                            Yeah thats definitely out of order, free dental work should come first i mean look at those pearly whites!

Comment

Okay, okay. You got me. I joined solely for the women.

Comment

Okay, okay. You got me. I joined solely for the women.
                                So there used to be catchy cadences along those lines, but we can't sing them anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X