Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your reason for joining

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
    soo SGT Jugg, I'm looking for fulltime employment and I don't mind moving... Help? HAHAHA
    Well, right now we don't have any openings but if the current boarder mission extends and gets larger then we will. Currently the mission is only open to members of the AZNG but if it becomes anything like Operation Jump Start was a few years ago you can bet that it will open up to all of the NG. The good old rumor mil says it will get extended and the number of soldiers needed will double. The rumor came from a pretty reliable source so we shall see. If I get a confirmed word I'll shoot you a PM right away, I happen to work in the J-1 ; ).

Comment

I am 18, i joined for a brighter future with more oppourtunites, while still doing something for my country. They have taken care of me for 18 years, its my turn to show some appreciation.

Comment

Chicks and beer

I dig the blue cord they gave me too

Comment

LOL Military chics not worth the headache and the problems they can cause you. Heck civi ones are creazy enough to deal with. Beside I would go nuts if any woman I was with was in the guard. I would not be able to use the "It's a military thing, I have to go" even when it's just a fishing trip lol.
          Originally posted by NJ732 View Post
          Chicks and beer

I dig the blue cord they gave me too

Comment

Originally posted by NJ732 View Post
            Chicks and beer
            Uh...how does enlisting get you beer?

Military chics not worth the headache and the problems they can cause you. Heck civi ones are creazy enough to deal with. Beside I would go nuts if any woman I was with was in the guard. I would not be able to use the "It's a military thing, I have to go" even when it's just a fishing trip lol.
            Quote Originally Posted by NJ732 View Post

Hmmm......tell us how you really feel.
            Last edited by Chris36; May 9th, 2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

How does enlisting get you beer? You serious? Go to the bar in ACU's, I do it all the time.

Order some Ranger Bat scrolls and a couple of tabs/badges, guaranteed free drinks and females all night. I look like freakin Audie Murphy every Saturday night. Sometimes I won't even wear any patches because I feel like being a high speed Delta operator that night.

ACUs to the grocery store = Free cold cuts

ACUs to the movie theatre = free tickets

ACUs to the mall = instant discounts

(Its a joke, relax)

Comment

If I saw you in the bar drinking in ACU's, I would smoke you for hours and hours.......do not drink in a bar and try not to purchase alcohol in uniform!!!

We would do the prone row until you felt like you were part of the earth.

AR 670-1 3-3

P.S. I like the side straddle hop too!!
                Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                  If I saw you in the bar drinking in ACU's, I would smoke you for hours and hours.......do not drink in a bar and try not to purchase alcohol in uniform!!!

We would do the prone row until you felt like you were part of the earth.

AR 670-1 3-3

P.S. I like the side straddle hop too!!
                  Thank you Chappy, you read my mind; I was hoping someone would say that.

Besides the regulation, it seems like a pretty desperate way to pick up woman, but seeing as how I am a woman, perhaps I am biased.

As for the other freebies? I think it is morally unconscionable to deliberately take advantage of gratitude and generosity that the public bestows upon the military these days. If you live and work by the Army Core Values then a simple thank you from appreciative civilians should be more than sufficient, if your ego needs that sort of thing; I am aware that 'H' stands or 'honor', not humility. Our uniform is a positive symbol for a lot of people and that wasn't the case just 35 years ago (when the American public didn't treat the military with so much respect and gratitude); please don't tarnish that image by trying to add 'blatant free-loading' to the list of associations the public makes with it.

And if you really need the cold cuts that badly? PM me and mail you some coupons.
                  Last edited by Chris36; May 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM. Reason: Vietnam was longer ago than I remember..

Comment

Chris you took it to a whole new level by brining out the Army Values.

Comment

Ill even admit i have a big ego, and i drink and i would never go in a bar in my ACU's.... a sufficent thank you like Chris mentioned makes me happy lol...

Comment

I think this is moving away from the original title for reasons of joining.

But in my opinion I don't think there is a problem with wearing your ACUs to a bar, grocery store, or movie theatre. You just have to be careful because it makes you a target for those individuals who don't like the U.S.
                        I don't think accepting free stuff if it is offered is wrong either.
                        Last edited by MichaelPC; May 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Michael, How do you think its ok to wear your ACU into a bar? If your in a bar drinking or not in your ACU's how does that represent the U.S. Military.... We are soupposed to be professional, and act professional. Maybe the grocery store and movie theatre are ok... but why? You have civi clothing for that, and wouldnt you much rather be comfortable watching a movie for two hours? or shopping for an hour? I mean how comfortable the ACU's are or even how uncomfortable they are is up to the soldier wearing them, but my point is, i would rather wear comfortable clothing for stuff like that. And as far as being offerd free things goes, yeah its NICE, but you dont need it. We did not join the military to get free handouts, Soldiers in my opinion should have a higher standard of living life. Like Chris said a simple thank you should do the job, we didnt join the military so that we could flaunt it around, we joined for legitimate reasons, well at least i am hoping most of us did.
                          Last edited by JoeFrison0122; May 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

MichaelPC

NJ732 stated:

''Order some Ranger Bat scrolls and a couple of tabs/badges, guaranteed free drinks and females all night. I look like freakin Audie Murphy every Saturday night.''

This implies (or blatantly says) that he deliberately wears his uniform in a direct attempt to obtain free drinks and as Chaplain4Me pointed out, according to AR 670-1 3-3:

3-3. Occasions for wear

a. Soldiers may wear BDUs on duty when prescribed by the commander. Soldiers may wear BDUs off post unless prohibited by the commander. They may not wear BDUs for commercial travel, unless authorized by para 1-10 c of this regulation. Personnel may not wear BDUs in establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the establishment sells alcohol and food, soldiers may not wear utility uniforms if their activities in the establishment center on drinking alcohol only.

ACUs to the grocery store = Free cold cuts - For picking up groceries on your way home, sure, I can see that and I have done that. To obtain free products? NO.

ACUs to the movie theatre = free tickets - Why? Unless stationed on a base and you are seeing a movie when off duty (and even then civies should be sufficient), again it is noted that the uniform is not simply being WORN, but worn in an effort to obtain free products and services.

ACUs to the mall = instant discounts This one is just sad....

Yes, it is flattering when people offer things and I, personally, find it humbling when I am thanked simply for my service alone, but for a soldier to not simply say they have accepted the occasional 'its on the house' ....but to brag that they purposefully wear their uniform in an attempt to manipulate and swoon women; are cavalier to the fact that they are breaking specific Army regulations in doing so, and flaunt all of the free products and services they deliberately attempt to obtain not only saddens me, but does not say a whole lot about their Honor or Integrity.

I am filled with immense pride every time I have the opportunity to wear my uniform. Servings one's country and representing the United States Army in that uniform is a privilege, not a right and should not be treated with such opportunist and immature attitudes.

To avoid having this thread closed to others wanting to share their stories, I won't comment any more on this topic (I'm pretty sure..... )

Comment

We are getting away from the topic above.

I was just stating my personal opinion on the matter outside of what army regulations dictate.

Joe I heard that argument about professionalism. But when you deploy you have the oppurtunity to drink.

Some people after BCT want to show off their uniform to their friends hence the movie theatre or mall. And as Chris mentioned if you are active duty and you are on your way home from work then picking up groceries is fine.

Yes Chris I agree with you nobody should deliberately use their uniform to get free stuff. I was just saying that if it was offered than I see nothing wrong with accepting it.

Comment

I am quite sure NJ732 was just kidding people............

Comment

Working...
                                X