Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Graduated 11B OSUT!

Hey folks,

Just wanted to post a quick a note on here letting everyone know that I graduated from 11B OSUT on Friday, and am currently at Airborne School! I managed to "win" a slot through having high PT (they took the top 6 guys who didn't have it already in their contracts - I had a 284).

Overall it was an awesome experience - I was a Team Leader for most of the training (including FTX), and a Platoon Guide for a week (we had an awesome PG who did it for most the training, but to give him a break around week 6-7 they rotated myself and 2 other guys through the position, each doing it for a week).

Now onto decisions such as OCS/ROTC, College etc! Hopefully I'll make it through Airborne - but at the end of the day I never had it in my contract originally so it's a bonus just being there regardless.

Off to spend the rest of the weekend with family and friends - best of luck to everyone else enlisting and feel free to hit me up with any questions etc.

Re: Just Graduated 11B OSUT!

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Congrats on graduating OSUT.
      BUT, you need to lose the "Hopefully" attitude. You were at the top of your class, you CAN DO whatever you want.

Comment

I'll second that..congrats trooper! There is no "hopefully" in your vocabulary. Now is the time to kick @zz and take names. GET SOME!!!

Comment

Were you E. Co 1/50?

if so I was right next door at charlie lol

feels good to be off the hill

Comment

any advice for guys leaving for osut soon? was there anything you learned that you wish you knew before you shipped?

Comment

USAforever, consider ROTC.

11bwannabe, travel light, and take a can do spirit. Lead for the front.

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments! Airborne got off to an "interesting" start - I got food poisoning on Sunday night, and puked up 4 times on Monday (still passed the PT test though!) As a result, I was sent to sick call and got recycled, but at least I have a chance to get over it now.

11BWannabe - Get in as good a shape as you can before you ship out (100 pushup program and the similar ones for situps etc will help). Learn the Soldier's Creed, Army Song, Core Values, Infantry Creed, General Orders (you'll learn it when you get there but it doesn't hurt to be ahead). Be a "Quiet Professional" - always giving 110% but not always having to be in the spotlight, ALWAYS help your battlebuddies and don't be afraid to ask for their help when you need it.

For the foot marches - apply hand sanitiser, let it dry, then foot powder, on your feet the night before and morning of if you can, change your socks daily on FTX if you can. Even if you're not in a leadership position (Team/Squad Leader, Platoon Guide etc), still help out the current leadership.

Best of luck!

Comment

Hope you're feeling better so you can work on those wings, USA.

For the foot marches - apply hand sanitiser...
                  Never heard the hand sanitizer one, but it's definitely true that you need to figure out what works for you and stick with it, even if it seems odd!

Comment

Lucky you. Our cadre laughed at the idea of giving an Airborne slot to any "Nasty Girls".

You better get those wings.

Comment

i agree...congratulations from a fellow 11 bang bang...when i was active duty i missed out on earning one of the coveted airborne slots because of my pt...only now have i realized how important it is...keep up the good work

Comment

Congrats, and just wondering, besides good PT scores what else did you do to get Airborne? I don't have it in my contract either, and I really really want it. I know I can score a 300 on the PT test with some additional training. How often are the PT test, and what else would I need? And would you say it's harder to get an AB slot in 11B OSUT than a regular Basic class because you're competing with all 11B's? Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by ABurris92 View Post
                          Congrats, and just wondering, besides good PT scores what else did you do to get Airborne? I don't have it in my contract either, and I really really want it. I know I can score a 300 on the PT test with some additional training. How often are the PT test, and what else would I need? And would you say it's harder to get an AB slot in 11B OSUT than a regular Basic class because you're competing with all 11B's? Thanks man.
                          I shipped last year. We typically ran a PT test every other week. Your PT test was pretty much the determining factor on whether or not you went to airborne, pending they have slots open.

Comment

do you train 24/7? like what i mean is do you have a day to recover, weekends (doubt it), or is it 14 weeks 7 days a week high speed train train train?

Comment

Sunday is usually pretty relaxed. Do laundry, write letters, take naps in the corner.. Oh wait, I mean, "Bay Maintenance".

Comment

Working...
                              X