X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JROTC Cadets

So I went to the MCSS today and I happened to be in uniform since I have a ROTC lab today. I initially went to pick up some field things for an upcoming FTX with my unit, but it turned out to be a circus show.

Apparently, there was a group of JROTC Cadets on the base today doing some kind of tour or something. They were all walking around making a lot of noise and generally screwing around. I wouldn't have a problem with this usually: highshoolers will be highschoolers, BUT they were all in uniform.

Not to say it LOOKED like a uniform...maybe it once was, but the old-style forest cammoflauge BDUs they were sporting had definitely seen better days. Their boots were dirty looking, the sleeves were barely rolled up, headgear was on all wrong if at all, shirts were untucked. I walked up to one and asked why all of their uniforms looked trashed and where his instructor was and he (to put it more politely for the forums) told me to move along and mind my own business.

Granted, I was in Air Force JROTC in high school. So I know just how much different schools and programs deviate from the general standard of appearance and discipline, but wearing the uniform like you've crawled out of the gutter and giving people attitude is unacceptable by even the most lenient stadards. What are they teaching these 'cadets' these days?

Re: JROTC Cadets

I was a three year member of a U.S. Marine Corps JROTC unit in the Seattle area prior to my senior year (which would be right now), and I could say that the discipline and respect depends on the instructors and their influence (or lack thereof) with the cadets.

From the second I began my JROTC "career" in freshman year, nearly all of the incoming cadets in the company were immediately instilled with varying degrees of respect and admiration for our Marine Instructor, a 30-year veteran of the 2/5 Marines who served in Vietnam. Long story short, he essentially made it so that unless you were serious about this program, he'd make it so you wouldn't have bothered going beyond a semester or year in JROTC. From then on, your sophomores would go onto being successful cadets in their junior and senior years with the necessary ability, motivation, and discipline to make an effective leader out of them. After that Freshman year, I only heard scuttlebutt about rare cases of excessive Tom Foolery and dumbassery, mostly from the more junior enlisted cadets. As for what instructors are teaching cadets today, the previous items, in addition to proper uniform maintenance, rifle marksmanship, drill, rigorous inspections, and (for better or worse) redundant tasks that will help us in ANY future career.

Overall, the professionalism of a cadet unit is factored by two things: It's instructors and their cadets, if neither can work in unison, you'd have similar incidents as you stated before. I'm incredibly honored to be taught by two great Marines (SgtMaj Zachary and Capt Lennon) and their actions definitely molded me into the man I am today.

Comment

Working...
    X