Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Worst drill ever" stories

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

    Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
    Being the only one in the company without ACU, and PT gear. :'(
    If you think that is a bad drill you are in for a world of hurt. I wish I could go to drill in civies.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

      Yeah, that sounds kinda great. At least to be able to PT in civilian workout clothes.

      Can an AT count as worst drill ever? Because I'm going to say Haiti, all of it. Haha.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

        Attending the funeral of one of my soldiers.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

          oh, that's the worse

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

            I don't have bad drills.

            But I will post a "Worst drill ever" for this other guy.

            Red phase guy comes in with a rough mohawk. He gets clowned by the DS but the kid is standing there with a grin on his face like he thought he was back in middle school. The DS warns him with the 'get rid of the mohawk or else' speech. He continues to grin for the rest of the day.

            Next day, the same kid falls in at the front--same grin on his face. Same rough mohawk. The DS walks slowly down the first rank with his head down and his arms at a parade rest position--he's whistling "The Smurfs" theme song as he walks. He takes a left face and steps up to a private wearing PT's: "Good Morning! How are you!?!?" He says with a big smile to the private. Private responds and the DS moves on. He continues walking slowly down the rank whistling the smurfs theme song with his head down as he comes up to the kid with the permanent smirk and the mohawk.

            He walks two steps past the kid, then stops. He pauses, performs an about face, steps up to the kid and screams: "DROP!!!!" The kid does push-ups while the DS continues his inspection of the recruits. The DS hates go-fast socks. By the way--don't wear go-fast socks or there'll be h ell to pay. 5 minutes later he tells the kid to recover. The DS has a few choice words for the kid along the lines of getting rid of the mohawk or else. As the DS walks away the kid rolls his eyes.

            The DS proceeds to tear the kid a couple new ones for a while, then smokes him severely. At lunch they pull him out of the front of the line with the rest of the red phase and sticks him in the very back of the line behind the BCT graduates. As the line moves up a different NCO pulls him out of line and smokes him. We're done eating and back in line for seconds by the time he makes it to the front of the line. He mouths something back a female NCO as he's getting his food. The female NCO smokes him intermittently while he's eating. Each time we fall in, the same NCO smokes him. Now the smirk is gone and is replaced by a frown. Near the end of the day we're at parade rest waiting to be called to fall in. The kid is at parade rest next to me and says, "Man what's wrong with that B_ _ _ _! She won't leave me alone!" I have no response for em'.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; February 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

              One question.....what are 'go-fast' socks?

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                One question.....what are 'go-fast' socks?


                Ankle socks. Do not wear these to drill.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                  Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                  I don't have bad drills.
                  Because.....you've only been to 3 so far????

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                    Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    Because.....you've only been to 3 so far????
                    Having a "worst drill ever" is a state of mind. I don't claim to be perfect but I'm pretty good at following simple instructions or complex instructions for that matter.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                      Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post


                      Ankle socks. Do not wear these to drill.
                      My recruiter said any would be fine (perhaps he meant at RSP?)

                      What is recommended then? The calf length socks?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                        Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                        My recruiter said any would be fine (perhaps he meant at RSP?)

                        What is recommended then? The calf length socks?
                        To play it safe just wear calf length socks. When it comes to RSP it really depends on the Drill Sergeant. Out of nearly a dozen DS's that worked us during drill there was that one DS that got absolutely irate about ankle socks, nicknamed "go-fast socks". He smoked everyone with ankle socks as he passed by them while walking the ranks.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                          Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                          To play it safe just wear calf length socks. When it comes to RSP it really depends on the Drill Sergeant. Out of nearly a dozen DS's that worked us during drill there was that one DS that got absolutely irate about ankle socks, nicknamed "go-fast socks". He smoked everyone with ankle socks as he passed by them while walking the ranks.
                          OK, I was just wondering because my recruiter is the one in charge of my RSP's (my first is next month). Is the rule of thumb for socks at BCT as well or are you provided socks?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                            "Go Fast" socks may not be authorized at BCT(they were not when I went back in 03 but things may have changed) but at the unit level they are fine provided they are solid white in color and do not have any visible logos. So the ones pictured above are a NO GO but in general they are fine.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                              Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                              OK, I was just wondering because my recruiter is the one in charge of my RSP's (my first is next month). Is the rule of thumb for socks at BCT as well or are you provided socks?
                              Also, just to play it safe, treat RSP like BCT to get yourself in the right frame of mind. That way, by the time you're through with RSP and ship to BCT it won't be such a hard transition.

                              We got an earfull of "you'll get smoked for this if you do/don't do this at basic." during red phase at my first drill. I just made it a rule of thumb to do it now, so I don't have to worry about it later. If you're lucky you'll get a handful of NCO's that will treat mistakes as learning opportunities instead of a smoke session, which is what they're supposed to do at RSP anyway.

                              I've been especially pro-active since nearly every hour on the hour when a different NCO or visiting officer asks where the 11Bravos are, then laughs when we raise our hands (because we're going to Ft. Benning).

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

                                Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                                Also, just to play it safe, treat RSP like BCT to get yourself in the right frame of mind. That way, by the time you're through with RSP and ship to BCT it won't be such a hard transition.

                                We got an earfull of "you'll get smoked for this if you do/don't do this at basic." during red phase at my first drill. I just made it a rule of thumb to do it now, so I don't have to worry about it later. If you're lucky you'll get a handful of NCO's that will treat mistakes as learning opportunities instead of a smoke session, which is what they're supposed to do at RSP anyway.

                                I've been especially pro-active since nearly every hour on the hour when a different NCO or visiting officer asks where the 11Bravos are, then laughs when we raise our hands (because we're going to Ft. Benning).
                                OK, I think that is what I will do, just to be safe (hopefully)....although I've heard no one is 'safe' from getting smoked at some point! I don't mind, it's all part of the process.. Yeah!

                                I am so excited for my first RSP, I've already get my little bag packed! BCT seems so far away! (Ft. Sill, August)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X