X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Worst drill ever" stories

We all love the Guard, and we love serving our country, but that doesn't mean it's all "Hooah" and high speed 24/7. So, let's list a few of those not-so-awesome moments we've had at drill, AT, schools, and deployments.

- My #1 worst drill has to be the one where I was first sent to run the ECG room during a PHA/SRP weekend. If you've never had/given an ECG, you have to understand that all of those yetis have to have patches of their chests shaved in order to accommodate the ECG leads...and it's the medic's job to shave said hairy chests. Let me tell ya, THAT was NOT in the recruiting brochure and sure as **** is not one of the perks of the job.

Re: "Worst drill ever" stories

You had to shave chests AND go through SRP? Truly torture!

I don't have any specific ones, just drills where things were jumbled around and not completed.

Comment

For the entire 5 months I was with a RAOC. Rear Area Operational Control. The name says it all. Worst place for a high speed 12B to be. The officers out numbered the enlisted. 3/4 of the day was spent shamming and hiding. The other 1/4 was either chow, formation or clean up. FML.

Comment

First drill! Before RSP was invented. Still in civilian clothes. -------> COMET inspection!

I was so bored. I was happy just to sweep the drill floor so I had something to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          First drill! Before RSP was invented. Still in civilian clothes. -------> COMET inspection!

I was so bored. I was happy just to sweep the drill floor so I had something to do.

haha! Epic.

Worst drill? I fear it has yet to come.

Comment

5 day field drill..which wasn't bad, but we returned back to the armory late on Sunday afternoon where we expected to turn in our weapons after cleaning them on the bus and head home. Nope. We had half our company stay behind for 5 days instead of going to the field to help with the upcoming COMET inspection. When we returned to the armory on Sunday afternoon we still had all sorts of cleaning to do. We were dead tired and ending up staying at the armory until 11:59pm on Sunday night cleaning 240s until they passed the 'white glove test' ... That was a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bang View Post
              5 day field drill..which wasn't bad, but we returned back to the armory late on Sunday afternoon where we expected to turn in our weapons after cleaning them on the bus and head home. Nope. We had half our company stay behind for 5 days instead of going to the field to help with the upcoming COMET inspection. When we returned to the armory on Sunday afternoon we still had all sorts of cleaning to do. We were dead tired and ending up staying at the armory until 11:59pm on Sunday night cleaning 240s until they passed the 'white glove test' ... That was a blast.
              LOL! That is super lame.

Comment

Every drill that involves inventorying. Commo ***** for that. Sometimes they want to see every cable, takes all night, and our platoon sergeant wants us to come early and stay late, so we miss anything cool over night during the weekend.

Comment

going to drill; hitting morning accountability formation, then leaving the armory to go to my NCOs house. Watch movies; the fights on VHS, then McDonalds, go shopping down Broadway, then head back at 1530. BS some more. Nap in a wall locker. evening accountability formation. go home.

do the same on sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    going to drill; hitting morning accountability formation, then leaving the armory to go to my NCOs house. Watch movies; the fights on VHS, then McDonalds, go shopping down Broadway, then head back at 1530. BS some more. Nap in a wall locker. evening accountability formation. go home.

do the same on sunday.
                    This thread is about the worst drill ever, not the best shamming story in history lol!

Comment

Drill 5 days after getting back from phase 1. Another OC shows up with NOTHING from the packing list and an empty ruck sack. We filled many sandbags that day. Beach run, extra sandbags in our ruck, broke down and re-setup our barracks three or four times. It was magical.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                        Drill 5 days after getting back from phase 1. Another OC shows up with NOTHING from the packing list and an empty ruck sack. We filled many sandbags that day. Beach run, extra sandbags in our ruck, broke down and re-setup our barracks three or four times. It was magical.
                        Wow, how do you show up with nothing but your ruck, especially when you just had everything??

How's phase 2 going for you? We're going to be in the field the entire drill starting next month doing STX lanes. Should be good prep for phase 3.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                          This thread is about the worst drill ever, not the best shamming story in history lol!
                          Hilarious response. Well from my perspective, I wanted more from drill and was just a naive private following around my leadership. So that was my worst drill. Yeah, to some, might be their best drill.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            Hilarious response. Well from my perspective, I wanted more from drill and was just a naive private following around my leadership. So that was my worst drill. Yeah, to some, might be their best drill.
                            Don't get me wrong, when I go to drill I want to train and learn something. If training ***** then the drill *****. Compared to some of the other stories that drill of yours was a shammers dream. Sounds like maybe some of those NCO's had held on tightly to the E-4 sham shield.

Comment

Being the only one in the company without ACU, and PT gear. :'(

Comment

Working...
                              X