X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking an MOS

I'm debating MP, because I want to be in some kind of LE eventually (federal or local). I've also debated infantry. I got an 87 on the ASVAB, haven't seen my line results yet. What are some critical MOS that relate? How often are enlistment bonuses given now? Will it help if I sign up for 6 years?

Re: Help picking an MOS

Originally posted by ajsawhney View Post
    I'm debating MP, because I want to be in some kind of LE eventually (federal or local). I've also debated infantry. I got an 87 on the ASVAB, haven't seen my line results yet. What are some critical MOS that relate? How often are enlistment bonuses given now? Will it help if I sign up for 6 years?
    If you search this forum you will learn that MP is not some magical gateway to civilian LE, and the two jobs are incredibly different.

THe critical MOS list is different by state (which is bonus dependant) so telling us your state will help us guide you in the right path.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      If you search this forum you will learn that MP is not some magical gateway to civilian LE, and the two jobs are incredibly different.

THe critical MOS list is different by state (which is bonus dependant) so telling us your state will help us guide you in the right path.
      Sorry I forgot to mention new Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by ajsawhney View Post
        Sorry I forgot to mention new Jersey.
        When andrew.tischner gets here he can help you the best. He is a NJ guy. Or you can send him a PM. In any event regardless of what MOS you choose, make sure you use the heck out of that tuition waiver. You are joining the state that easily has the best education benefit in the Country.

Comment

Some assignments as an MP are similar to their civilian counterparts but unlikely that a Guard slot will emulate that. But I know many Guard MPs that work in civilian law enforcement. Don't be swayed if that is your goal.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Some assignments as an MP are similar to their civilian counterparts but unlikely that a Guard slot will emulate that. But I know many Guard MPs that work in civilian law enforcement. Don't be swayed if that is your goal.
            You need to stop with this. Stop using your life as a model, no one is swaying anyone. I also know National Guard cooks who work in Law Enforcement. The point is not to think the MP MOS is going to benefit you anymore then another MOS which may be a better fit. Recruits need to educate themselves without their blinders on. Its no different then other MOS. If you wanted to become an Air Traffic controller, and thought by joining the Army as ATC would help you, I again would caution with the same advice. (Most of our ATC guys are field not tower ATC, and their certs are different, people don't realize that) Just another example.

Comment

You need to stop with this. Stop using your life as a model, no one is swaying anyone. I also know National Guard cooks who work in Law Enforcement. The point is not to think the MP MOS is going to benefit you anymore then another MOS which may be a better fit. Recruits need to educate themselves without their blinders on. Its no different then other MOS. If you wanted to become an Air Traffic controller, and thought by joining the Army as ATC would help you, I again would caution with the same advice. (Most of our ATC guys are field not tower ATC, and their certs are different, people don't realize that) Just another example.
              I think you need to relax if someone posts something that go against your views. I was not attacking you with my post but again providing advice on actual experience in the field. I am not using my life as a model because I stated that other Guard MPs work in law enforcement.

As well do not provide opinions as fact since that is not the only of addressing the solution.

I also believe if my posts were inappropriate; the moderators will address the issue and I do not believe that is the case.

Comment

I think you need to relax if someone posts something that go against your views. I was not attacking you with my post but again providing advice on actual experience in the field. I am not using my life as a model because I stated that other Guard MPs work in law enforcement and made their career choice on similar aspects as the OP and there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. My buddies have been very satisfied with their decision. I also made a point that the likely of him doing MP garrison work (which is similar to civlian LE) is very low which is true. And I think based on not only my experience but on many other military policemen that work in the field; that its possible to receive an advantage.

As well do not provide opinions as fact since that is not the only way of addressing the solution.

I also believe if my posts were inappropriate; the moderators will address the issue and I do not believe that is the case because I was already informed about them.

I think its ludicrious to argue with someone on a job if you have no experience whatsoever in the job at all.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 30th, 2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

When it comes to picking an MOS you should base your decision on 1. what you will enjoy doing. 2. what will benefit you outside the military. If MP is something you think you will really enjoy then go with that. For what it's worth there are several LEO's in my unit and we are combat engineers. A few local LEO's and at least one federal LEO. The MOS wasn't as big a factor as their level of exerience was when it came to getting the job. Also keep in mind that most federal LEO positions require a 4 year degree.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    I think you need to relax if someone posts something that go against your views. I was not attacking you with my post but again providing advice on actual experience in the field. I am not using my life as a model because I stated that other Guard MPs work in law enforcement and made their career choice on similar aspects as the OP and there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. My buddies have been very satisfied with their decision. I also made a point that the likely of him doing MP garrison work (which is similar to civlian LE) is very low which is true. And I think based on not only my experience but on many other military policemen that work in the field; that its possible to receive an advantage.

As well do not provide opinions as fact since that is not the only way of addressing the solution.

I also believe if my posts were inappropriate; the moderators will address the issue and I do not believe that is the case because I was already informed about them.

I think its ludicrious to argue with someone on a job if you have no experience whatsoever in the job at all.
                    Whats ludacris is that you still think I am arguing about the job, which I am not. Im talking about the recruiting practice and educating youself on what you are getting into. I never said, or claimed your posts where inapproriate, but that doesn't make it worth while advice.

If someone was asking what MPs do, where they train, how they train, their mission and so fourth, I would not comment because 1) I am not an expert there 2) they are doing what I want recruits to do, which is research...and 3) they are not trying to get a benefit from something which is not a guarentee (civilian LE).

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                      When it comes to picking an MOS you should base your decision on 1. what you will enjoy doing. 2. what will benefit you outside the military. If MP is something you think you will really enjoy then go with that. For what it's worth there are several LEO's in my unit and we are combat engineers. A few local LEO's and at least one federal LEO. The MOS wasn't as big a factor as their level of exerience was when it came to getting the job. Also keep in mind that most federal LEO positions require a 4 year degree.
                      +1 ....This.

Learn about the jobs, get out there and talk to a few people in the unit, learn what they really do. Make an educated decision.

Comment

You don't need any military to become civilian law enforcement, just an associate degree and some work experience with a fairly clean record. A bachelor's helps a lot, especially down the road, but it's not necessary to get in. Most staff officers in civilian law enforcement are business majors and stuff like that, not criminal justice majors. If you want to be civilian law enforcement it doesn't matter what your MOS is. That matters about as much as what your favorite color is. You just need at least that two year degree though in something to get your foot in the door.
                        Last edited by Major General Discharge; January 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X