X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Join If Im In Debt

The title says it all..Will i be able to join if i have debt?

Re: Can I Join If Im In Debt

Many factors here. You're best bet would be to talk to a recruiter.

Comment

Are you consistently paying it and attempting to get the debt paid? If so, you will have to list the debt on your application and it might play a role in a security clearance, but consistency in payments shows accountability and shows that the government can trust that you will do the right thing. questions like yours really should be directed to a recruiter that you can have a one on one conversation with, then he or she can determine if you are elligible to join, an internet forum can help you, but we can't answer a question like that with a yes or no. Its not that cut and dry.

Comment

They are more interested in how responsible you are with debt. When I enlisted there were no questions about the amount of debt, only about recent late payments over 60-90 days, repossessions, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. These situations are not necessarily bad, depending on your pattern of behavior. If you have recent negative actions, you may be told to wait a while so that you can establish a responsible pattern of behavior.

Comment

Your debt will only really come into question if the MOS you are trying to get requires a security clearance.

Comment

I joined with a mortgage, 2 newish car payments, student loans, and CC debt. I wasn't denied. But as others said, it does play a more significant role when applying for any type of clearance.
            Last edited by jaydez; December 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank you all..

Comment

What I have been told by my recruiter is that I may have to sit down with someone and explain why I have delinquent debt - I was laid off. He said that everyone has their own circumstances and I may not be able to get an MOS that needs a security clearance but I should be ok otherwise. Just my experience.

Comment

thank you for your response robin..

Comment

Some debts are OK. Others are not. Be honest and Let your recruiter & your MEPS GC figure out what to do for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X