Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian job in a foreign country while in the guard

Hey all,

I am currently serving in the Guard as a 2LT promotable but because of various changes in the in the COE (without breaking OPSEC) I will not be deploying and will soon be losing my full-time ADOS job. It has always been a long dream of mine to teach English abroad for a year or so. I like my unit but I would like to go into the ING for a while and go to Korea or Japan, learn the language and come back with an extra skill.

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever done this? I know we have let guys go to Iraq or Afghanistan on contract jobs all the time with a conditional release. It would be great if I could find a deployment but if not then this is my first choice of action.

Re: Civilian job in a foreign country while in the guard

Originally posted by rtalmon View Post
    Hey all,

I am currently serving in the Guard as a 2LT promotable but because of various changes in the in the COE (without breaking OPSEC) I will not be deploying and will soon be losing my full-time ADOS job. It has always been a long dream of mine to teach English abroad for a year or so. I like my unit but I would like to go into the ING for a while and go to Korea or Japan, learn the language and come back with an extra skill.

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever done this? I know we have let guys go to Iraq or Afghanistan on contract jobs all the time with a conditional release. It would be great if I could find a deployment but if not then this is my first choice of action.
    Yes people have done it. Enlisted people. The ING is not an option for officers. The IRR may be, but that is a completly different ball game when you get back.

Comment

Re: Civilian job in a foreign country while in the guard

Going into yhe USAR in either an IMA or TPU status would probably be your best option if you wanted to continue your career/benefits. You also do the IRR but it's self paced and you would have to pay attention to your career.

Comment

Working...
      X