X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP and civilian cop

Would serving as an MP in the guard improve my chances at being hired in the civilian world as a cop? I would like to be a cop and i figured if i joined the guard it would help pay for the schooling and give me some bonus points in the hiring process. Would i be right in thinking this?

Re: MP and civilian cop

Originally posted by bplahmer10 View Post
    Would serving as an MP in the guard improve my chances at being hired in the civilian world as a cop? I would like to be a cop and i figured if i joined the guard it would help pay for the schooling and give me some bonus points in the hiring process. Would i be right in thinking this?
    There are many factors here. Most departments look at any military service as a plus. In my unit we have several civilian officers both patrol and corrections. In most cases you will still have to go through a civilian academy. but MP training will put you a step ahead because you will already be familiar with some of the training. Civilian academy is more extensive that MP school, but you will recieve more specific training once you get to your unit. Civilian law enforcement is a very competitive field to get into. If you enlist and use your education benefits and get a degree you will be in a better spot to get into a decent department. It's definately a plus because you'll already be physically fit and for the most part mentally prepared after BCT/AIT. Add that to a degree and you got many more bonus points than the average police applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by bplahmer10 View Post
      Military service is looked favorably amng most law enforcment agencies. That said, specifically being an MP will be just as beneficial as being a non MP. If I was you I would choose something technical and advanced that could help in another field also, just in case law enforcment doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Comment

I seen this question asked so many times on this forum. Paralegal summed it up best.

Comment

Working...
        X