Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

joining the guard? do i have to quit my job?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining the guard? do i have to quit my job?

So I am already well into my career right now, I want to join the guard. Do I have to quit my job or does my employer have to hold my job??

Re: joining the guard? do i have to quit my job?

Your employer must hold your job for you. Google USERRA to understand your rights with your employer. Being able to continue your civilian career and still serve in the military is why many people join the Guard.

Comment

I am abt 13 months away from my masters degree....what about doing the officer route? Is that more than the 10 week basic? Sorry for short posts...I'm posting from my phone while at work. That's good about the job. I am 8 years into my current career and at only 27 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by cory in vegas View Post
        I am abt 13 months away from my masters degree....what about doing the officer route? Is that more than the 10 week basic? Sorry for short posts...I'm posting from my phone while at work. That's good about the job. I am 8 years into my current career and at only 27 years of age.
        Yes. 10 weeks of basic. Than depending on what route of OCS you take.

Accelerated 8 weeks
        Federal 14 weeks (Might not be an option)
        State 18 months Phase 1/3 are both 2 weeks a piece Phase 2 is once a month

Nevada offers a tuition waiver for state schools
        Last edited by Mike.; December 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM. Reason: Changing info

Comment

I'm actually not at a state school. I am finishing my masters online through a school back in Tennessee (where I'm from)....

If I join the guard in Nevada....how difficult is it to transfer units to another state? To be promoted I'm my job requires I be willing to relocate

Comment

Originally posted by cory in vegas View Post
            I'm actually not at a state school. I am finishing my masters online through a school back in Tennessee (where I'm from)....

If I join the guard in Nevada....how difficult is it to transfer units to another state? To be promoted I'm my job requires I be willing to relocate
            It could be difficult to transfer in two ways:

1. The branch you choose/or were slotted in Nevada is not offered in the state you plan to transfer in.
            2. They don't have an open slot for your branch in the state you plan to transfer into

Just something to think about.
            Last edited by Mike.; December 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X