X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRR Concerns

LTC Ritchie, I have read your previous posts about the IRR and the 8 year commitment. Is there still as much risk of involuntary deployment with the IRR as there was a few years ago? Is it a bad idea to spend 5 years on the IRR if I only do 3 years of active drilling on a 3x5 contract? Thank you

Re: IRR Concerns

I'd argue you're safer in the IRR then as a TPU Soldier. You have many more options to delay a mob in the IRR. Overall, until your 8 years are up, you're probably not really "safe".

Pm sent since it takes a mod to approve a post....
    Last edited by RedLeg; December 11th, 2011, 12:27 AM. Reason: Mods not approving posts

Comment

Statistically, the need for IRR mobilizations has shrunk, but it's still out there.

For several years I have recommended that Soldiers avoid the IRR, and continue to drill for eight years until their obligation has expired. The situation has not changed enough for me to change my recommendation. As a drilling Guardsman, only your own State can mobilize you involuntarily, whereas all three Army components can mobilize an IRR Soldier.

Comment

I know there is no crystal ball, but in today's environment what would your chances be of getting picked up during your IRR time if you were an 11b? Better than 50%? Does the Army post statistics on this anywhere. I am just trying to get some grasp of the commitment I am getting ready to make.

Comment

The IRR is a bit of a mystery. And that alone made it scary enough for me. I took LTC Ritchie's advice many years ago and finished my 8th year drilling, after being on IRR for 9 months (to be fair, I was also moving out of state at this time so not having that obligation freed me up a little). When I moved back to Iowa, I linked up with my old unit after hearing of the Try 1 program for prior service. This allowed me to finish my last 15 months drilling. Little bit of extra cash + benefits of having a drilling status (MDAY soldier is it called?). Stetson break-in for my last night (which was also last night of AT) made it worth it.

I also figured that if I were to deploy during that time, I'd rather do it with guys I knew.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            ... I took LTC Ritchie's advice many years ago ....
            I'm glad that my effort has benefitted a Soldier. Everyone always agrees with me eventually, but unfortunately some agree with me too late to help themselves.

Comment

It's also worth remembering that if you're activated as an M-Day soldier, you're covered by National Guard policies. In the medical corps, for instance, docs are deployed for a total of 4 months at a time and PA's for 6 months at a time in the Guard and Reserve. Active Army deploys docs for up to 12 or 15 months. If you're pulled up as a drilling reserve corps doc, you're going for 4 months. If you're pulled up as an IRR doc, you're going for a year.

This particular policy doesn't apply to you, but others will. You're no longer a Guardsman if you're pulled out of the IRR.

Comment

In the IRR there are legal avenues in place to defer a deployment vs a TPU Soldier in the NG/USAR.

As far as TPU Soldier, yes the NG is the best route because they pull from only in the state. You may want to do some research into whether the USAR or NG offer stabilization for joining. I know this was an option at one time.

Comment

Working...
                X