Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Courtesy / Respecting Our Vets

Hello All!

I need some advice on how to deal tactfully with a situation in my civilian job….and that’s tactfully, not tactically….LOL As I’ve come to expect directness and bluntness to be par for the course on this forum, so is respect, so any advice would be appreciated.

I recently returned from BCT and will be beginning OCS in June. I work for my State gov’t with veterans (both as coworkers and whom we assist) and I consider myself good friends with them all.

The ‘problem’ is that they are all so excited regarding my recent accomplishments and future plans that they have taken to calling me ‘lieutenant’ as a nick name. Although I am flattered in their apparent confidence in my ability to complete OCS, it makes me uncomfortable to be called as such before I have earned the rank.

To make matters more awkward, as I work with or have contact with, on a daily basis, Col’s, B.G’s and M.G.’s. , it has been inquired by my immediate supervisor (a M.G. (r) ‘why did he call you that??’ Although my boss is an old friend and understood that many of the veterans whom we serve and that visit the office are simply trying to pay me anticipatory compliment, some off the officers I deal with would not consider it so ‘endearing’.

I have tried explaining this to people, especially my coworkers, that it is simply not appropriate and as all of them are veterans, I would assume they know the protocol or at least adhere to my wishes professionally. As for the veterans who come in for services, I have repeatedly requested that they not call me ‘lieutenant’, ‘L.T.’ or salute me, but they seem to think they are being complimentary and funny and I am simply being modest.

Uh….no, I’m not a lieutenant! LOL

I have the greatest respect and admiration for any and all veterans and do not want to come off as brash, but I need them to STOP. I know this isn’t the usual question as listed on this forum, but any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SteveLord; November 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM. Reason: Corrected thread title typo ;)

Re: Prefessional Courtesy / Respecting Our Vets

Tell them..."as your LT, I am giving you a direct order to call me Chris"

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      Tell them..."as your LT, I am giving you a direct order to call me Chris"
      Tell that you are flattered but to keep that use of term out of the workplace because you feel uneasy about it and make an EO complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Tell that you are flattered but to keep that use of term out of the workplace because you feel uneasy about it and make an EO complaint.
        But many are Vets that we serve who are retired or discharged (who come into my office) and although they think they're being funny....I get weird looks from the other actual officers in the office.

Comment

And apparently I spelled professional wrong in my thread title....LOL

I know, way to be professional!

Comment

Working...
          X